Author Topic: Rev. Jeff Walther, RIP  (Read 645 times)

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Rev. Jeff Walther, RIP
« on: November 26, 2020, 09:31:37 AM »
https://www.startribune.com/lutheran-pastor-who-combined-his-loves-of-ministry-and-nature-dies-of-covid-19-complications-at-age-58/573200431/
The Rev. Jeff Walther was a man of God and a lover of nature — and for him, the two were inseparable.

Walther, of Esko, Minn., died Oct. 25 of COVID-19 complications at Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Medical Center in Duluth. He was 58.
Does anyone know if he was related to THE Walther?
A priest-friend of mine worked for years in Pastor Walther's National Parks program.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

jebutler

• View Profile
Re: Rev. Jeff Walther, RIP
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 09:40:00 AM »
https://www.startribune.com/lutheran-pastor-who-combined-his-loves-of-ministry-and-nature-dies-of-covid-19-complications-at-age-58/573200431/
The Rev. Jeff Walther was a man of God and a lover of nature — and for him, the two were inseparable.

Walther, of Esko, Minn., died Oct. 25 of COVID-19 complications at Essentia Health-St. Mary’s Medical Center in Duluth. He was 58.
Does anyone know if he was related to THE Walther?
A priest-friend of mine worked for years in Pastor Walther's National Parks program.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and peace,
Michael

Jeff served his vicarage in Rockford, IL while I was there.

He was descended from O. H. Walther, the brother of CFW.
The truth we preach is not an abstract thing. The truth is a Person. The goodness we preach is not an ideal quality. The goodness is Someone who is good. The love we preach is God himself in Christ. --H. Grady Davis

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 09:40:18 AM »
The passing of Reverend Walther was originally announced here.

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 09:52:17 AM »
The passing of Reverend Walther was originally announced here.
Thanks. I missed that.
The Star-Tribune does not often favor an individual with a news obituary.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 11:21:01 AM »
As Reverend Walther’s family and friends celebrate Thanksgiving 2020 with the sure and certain knowledge that Reverend Walther is with our Lord in heaven, may we also thank God for the Christian witness his wife and children gave at the time of his passing ...
Quote from: Reverend Jeff Walther’s wife and children
While currently on the homepage of St. Matthew's Lutheran Church of Esko MN, the Christian witness of the Walther family is included for the legacy readers benefit in the months and years to follow ....

One last update on Pastor Jeff from Christina, Hannah and Alex

From Christina:  “Jeff is no longer suffering. He is at home with the Lord. I know that God was working through Jeff during his illness. Look at how many people have been praying and growing close to each other and God during the past month. This is what our world needs! Our prayers have not been for nothing. God has a plan and Jeff is a part of it. I already miss Jeff’s laugh, his goofiness and his joy for life. Things will be different that is for sure. I am extremely sad and the tears are flowing! I will always love him and I guess our next adventure will be in heaven. As always, God’s got this!”

From Hannah: “Today, Dad went to be with the Lord. We surrounded dad with love, songs and prayers as he passed away peacefully. Dad will have no more suffering – no more fear. Today, it feels like a loss, but we know it’s not. Dad wins. God wins. As I try to wrap my brain around this new normal, I am reminding myself that it is indeed not the end; it may be the end for his earthly life, but dad is in the best place he’s ever been – the place he’s been preaching about and talking about his entire life – Heaven. I won’t stop praying and I won’t stop believing. I can’t wait to see you again, Daddy. I love you.”

From Alex:  “I love you Dad. You have taught me so many things throughout my life. Never once did I expect to say see ya later this early on in life. However, I will certainly see you later, some day. I will keep praying about you and text you every day. Your passion for nature and the outdoors, camping, fishing, and hiking in national parks will forever be in my heart. I will cherish every moment we spent together as they are all already replaying in my mind. You have given so much to everyone else and cared so much for others before yourself. Now you get to enjoy your stay in Heaven’s National Park. I miss and love you Dad. Rest in Peace.”
May our good and gracious God continue to support the Walther family and others who mourn.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 12:16:23 PM »
Pastor Jeff Walther's first call to ordained service in the Church was to the Atlantic District.  He shepherded Grace Lutheran Church in Central Islip on Long Island, and was also the Secretary of the Atlantic District and a member of the District Praesidium while I was the President and Bishop.  Energetic, faithful, concerned for the lost, blessed to be a blessing in so many, many ways.  We were saddened to lose him to the work of ministry here on Long Island, but knew of his love for the outdoors - he used to take long hikes up in the "wilds" of Orange County.  The tributes from his wife and children say it all when it comes to his faith and legacy. 

Dave Benke