Author Topic: Proud to be an American  (Read 1894 times)

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
Proud to be an American
« on: November 24, 2020, 05:07:32 PM »
The Radio News just carried quote introducing cabinet appointees ... including the statement that we can be proud to be an American.

I for one already am already proud to be an American and pray that nothing changes that.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Re: Proud to be an American
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 07:00:37 PM »
The Radio News just carried quote introducing cabinet appointees ... including the statement that we can be proud to be an American.

I for one already am already proud to be an American and pray that nothing changes that.

And I am one who never thought that America had ceased to be great.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 07:14:38 PM »

Apparently you forgot the immortal words of Michelle Obama ... perhaps someone who is not having an outdoor Thanksgiving meal with family can provide those immortal words that currently escape me.

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 08:05:20 PM »

Apparently you forgot the immortal words of Michelle Obama ... perhaps someone who is not having an outdoor Thanksgiving meal with family can provide those immortal words that currently escape me.

For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country because it feels like hope is finally making a comeback.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 08:29:53 PM »

I am not Michelle Obama, so I don't see what her words have to do with my comment.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 09:03:36 PM »

I am not Michelle Obama, so I don't see what her words have to do with my comment.
It’s doubtful that any one thought you were Michelle Obama .. but you know that!

As far as the rest ... well it is what it is!👀

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 09:33:12 PM »
America never stopped being great.
But at times we have wavered in tending the things that makes us great. Allowing slavery was one of those times. Oppression of women and the existence of Jim Crow laws another time. Ignoring racism and xenophobia, another time. Persecution of sexual minorities another time.
I think in the days ahead we may pay more attention to the things that can keep us great. This is good.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:37:23 PM by Charles Austin »
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. In Minnesota. Still concerned about The Church and nation. Catholics: scandals, cover-ups. Evangelicals: hypocrisy, venality. Progressives: loss of focus. Denominations: dying. Our Constitution: In danger from crazies. Clinging, I am, to signs of hope.

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 09:51:01 PM »
It’s great that we are in agreement ... being already proud to be an American and stating that America never ceased being great is saying the same thing in a slightly different manner.

Progress towards unity.👏👏😎

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 11:11:23 PM »
The point is that we need to be watchful and constantly take care of what is good within our land. We lag far behind other developed countries in some areas. If we do not care for our form of government or let it fall into disrepair, we will not be great.
We need humility, not excessive pride; repentance for our failings, not just trumpets for our accomplishments.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. In Minnesota. Still concerned about The Church and nation. Catholics: scandals, cover-ups. Evangelicals: hypocrisy, venality. Progressives: loss of focus. Denominations: dying. Our Constitution: In danger from crazies. Clinging, I am, to signs of hope.

RDPreus

• View Profile
    • Christ For Us
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 10:17:54 AM »
America never stopped being great.
But at times we have wavered in tending the things that makes us great. Allowing slavery was one of those times. Oppression of women and the existence of Jim Crow laws another time. Ignoring racism and xenophobia, another time. Persecution of sexual minorities another time.
I think in the days ahead we may pay more attention to the things that can keep us great. This is good.

What is a sexual minority and how has America persecuted them?

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 10:26:21 AM »
Pastor Preus asks:

I answer (not wanting to drift the thread):
Gays, lesbians, transgendered people, et al.
By mocking them. By denying them civil rights accorded to others, for example, with regard to marriage. By discrimination in some work places.
But you knew that.
And now we can all be proud that America is moving away from these former discriminations.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 10:46:27 AM »
I think that national pride is a tricky thing. As long as nations are led by fallible human beings we will do things that offend and disappoint some part of the citizenry. 

My "nation pride," as such, manifests itself in the bond I have with others in local community service.  It especially manifests itself, much like those in the military, when I don my uniform as a firefighter.  Although in the military, as well as other government services (such as fire service, EMS, law enforcement, etc.), politics are certain to intrude, by their nature they are designed as apolitical entities. They exist primarily to serve and protect the citizens of the nation. Maybe that is why I can feel some sense of national pride when I am rushing to a fire, lights and sirens blazing.  I know that I am serving my neighbor, which, I hope, embodies the best of our ideals. That is what the flag on my dress uniform sleeve represents.  Service to neighbor. 

The political polarization we have witnessed of late does not make its way down efficiently to those who serve their communities and its people in a direct and close way. Fire does not burn in party colors.  Sickness, despite the ongoing rhetoric with the pandemic, does not come because of political decisions.  Crime is a reality of a fallen creation, and as a nation we instinctively know that even though we want to expect the best, we often see the worst.  And when we see the worst we want a barrier of protection there to guard us from harm and danger.  That barrier wears a badge, and is not always popular, and is touched by sin as all things are, but the men and women who wear those uniforms are neighbors helping neighbors.  That, for me, is where the essence of our national spirit shines. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 10:48:13 AM by D. Engebretson »
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

RDPreus

• View Profile
    • Christ For Us
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 11:37:44 AM »
Pastor Preus asks:

I answer (not wanting to drift the thread):
Gays, lesbians, transgendered people, et al.
By mocking them. By denying them civil rights accorded to others, for example, with regard to marriage. By discrimination in some work places.
But you knew that.
And now we can all be proud that America is moving away from these former discriminations.

No, I did not know that.  That's why I asked.  Here is where the liberal civil rights movement moves away from the foundation for civil rights to which Americans have historically appealed.  The right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness belongs to black as well as white people.  Slavery and Jim Crow denied equal rights to blacks.  As Americans we are well rid of them.  As far as the oppression of women is concerned, things are not so black and white.  The sanctity of marriage is crucial to protecting women's rights, but in the name of women's rights we have seen an attack on marriage.

But when you take what is clearly sinful, perverted, and condemned by God and say this must be given legal protection, you attack the foundation for all civil rights.  To promote same sex "marriage" is to attack the God who made us male and female.  By granting "sexual minorities" (that is, perverts) the legal right to engage in their perversions, you can no longer appeal to Nature's God, for you have denied his existence.  This is unchristian and unamerican. 

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 11:49:49 AM »
I'm Proud To Be An American Lyrics

If tomorrow all the things were gone I'd worked for all my life,
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.
I'd thank my lucky stars to be living here today,
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can't take that away.

And I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee,
across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea,

From Detroit down to Houston and New York to LA,
Well, there's pride in every American heart,
and it's time to stand and say:

I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

Possibly a bit more appropriate for July 4th .. but the title fits this thread.😎
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 11:51:32 AM by Julio »

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2020, 12:02:58 PM »
I think Make America Great Again had such a visceral impact as a slogan both among those who loved it and those who objected to it, because it speaks not about a particular year but a particular view of America. The "gotcha" question that snide detractors could always pose was, "When was America great?" Then, no matter what the answer, the questioner could point out some terrible injustice going on at the time and pin the crime of bigotry on the one who wanted to make America great again. Oooh, you really nailed him with that one! But the question misses the point. THe slogan isn't really talking about a specific era, it is talking about the place America occupies in our cultural imagination. Make patriotism cool. Embrace the founding story. It was a reaction to academia's incessant focus on the terribleness of America, the lens of oppression. We should once again think of America as the land of freedom and opportunity, the last, best hope of mankind, rather than thinking about it as the result of ruthless, racist, and ongoing colonial oppression. MAGA means reject the effort to make America something we should apologize for and reaffirm the idea of America as beacon of freedom and limitless possibility. As such, it inspired rah-rah patriotism on one side and disgust on the other.