Author Topic: Planning for life's end  (Read 1516 times)

Donald_Kirchner

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Planning for life's end
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2020, 04:50:41 PM »
  We're up to over 70 or hymns.  If I don't write it down, my wife and pastoral colleagues will fill the service with Marty Haugen stuff I'm sure. 

Jeremy

LOL! Yeah, we figure my service will have to include at thirty-minute hymn sing right in the middle of it.

I have included hymn suggestions for the Wake and the Distribution. I arranged them seasonally so its a long list but won't be used in its entirety. Once more, if the congregation is small only one will be needed.   ;D

Peace, JOHN

I have a tenor/friend in his late 20s, who taught voice at Bemidji State University and studied in Italy, lined up to sing Ave Verum Corpus during the Distribution.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Keith Falk

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2020, 10:29:11 AM »
Make sure you are aware of your own state's laws about estate planning and end of life decision making, because each state is different. 

We had someone from a Senior Agency (or program, or something, can't remember) come do an adult Sunday School class while I was at Peace. There, everyone learned that in Oklahoma, your of-age relatives all have equal say over end of life decision making if you have not appointed someone.  So, for example, if you are in your 50s and you have 3 adult children, a spouse, and both of your parents living... they have equal say over end of life decision making if you haven't appointed someone and/or made your wishes known in a way that has legal standing.  Imagine your adult children and your parents fighting over what to do!  Awful.

I'll also throw out there the importance of hospice agencies. They have social workers who can assist families with many of the issues raised.

And, really, pastors in congregations can call any local funeral home or hospice agency and they'll happily come in and provide education. Granted, it helps them get their name out there, but you can have a series of classes... I did one called "Putting the FUN in funerals!" where we talked about the role of the congregation and how Christians might think through funerals and all of the moving parts there.  Anyhow, you have options, and the bonus is that often you can give your adult ed teachers a break for a Sunday or two!
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 01:44:32 PM »
Yeah, we did a series on "death and dying" some years back. I can't remember the precise structure, but in included components like this:

(1) A Biblical and theological discussion of death and eternal life.
(2) An estate planning person to talk about options.
(3) A funeral director (who also happened to be an ordained minister) to talk about funeral options.
(4) A hospice person to talk about end of life care
(5) A discussion about funerals and how to pre-plan your own service.

It was well-attended. I think I actually did something like this at least a couple of times in my last parish.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS