Author Topic: Rev. Dr. David Schmiel, RIP  (Read 685 times)

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Rev. Dr. David Schmiel, RIP
« on: November 08, 2020, 09:18:16 AM »
Last week a former President of Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne was taken home to the Lord:
https://www.startribune.com/obituaries/detail/0000373495/?fullname=dr-reverend-david-g-schmiel

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

mariemeyer

• View Profile
Re: Rev. Dr. David Schmiel, RIP
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 11:56:50 AM »
The Rev. Dr. David Schmiel served as President of the Fort Wayne Seminary during a time when his gift of evangelical leadership benefited the seminary and the LCMS.

Marie Meyer

James J Eivan

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 12:12:41 PM »
The Rev. Dr. David Schmiel served as President of the Fort Wayne Seminary during a time when his gift of evangelical leadership benefited the seminary and the LCMS.

Marie Meyer
Dr Schmiel followed the respected M S Pohl at then Concordia College, Ann Arbor, MI ... after my years there.

His tenure was rather brief at CTSFW ... was he considered an Ďintentional interimí in the same manner conflicted congregations often have intentional interims as he followed the tumultuous period at CTSFW following the forced retirement of the beloved Robert Preus?

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 12:31:50 PM »
Dr. David Scaer, professor at CTS-FW, in his book Surviving the Storms (Luther Academy, 2018), devotes a chapter to the brief Schmiel presidency (pages 329-348).

In this time of his family's mourning it is no doubt prudent not to spend time reviewing the past, especially perceived negative aspects of it. However, for those interested in one perspective and recounting of those 2 and a half years, I would recommend Scaer's memoirs. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

James J Eivan

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 12:53:24 PM »
Dr. David Scaer, professor at CTS-FW, in his book Surviving the Storms (Luther Academy, 2018), devotes a chapter to the brief Schmiel presidency (pages 329-348).

In this time of his family's mourning it is no doubt prudent not to spend time reviewing the past, especially perceived negative aspects of it. However, for those interested in one perspective and recounting of those 2 and a half years, I would recommend Scaer's memoirs. 
Thank you .. no disrespect was intended ... Mrs Meyer commented on his tenure @ Ft Wayne ... the thought was that both discussions were appropriate ... will follow up at a more appropriate time.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 01:01:00 PM »

Thank you .. no disrespect was intended ... Mrs Meyer commented on his tenure @ Ft Wayne ... the thought was that both discussions were appropriate ... will follow up at a more appropriate time.

It was not my intention to characterize your remarks as "disrespect."  My comments concerned more the contents of Scaer's assessment of the Schmiel presidency.  It was a difficult time for him, and given the nature of a time of grief, I did not want to bring up the details of their contents here, but merely refer to them for those so interested in one personal perspective of that time.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

James J Eivan

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 01:06:55 PM »

It was not my intention to characterize your remarks as "disrespect."  My comments concerned more the contents of Scaer's assessment of the Schmiel presidency.  It was a difficult time for him, and given the nature of a time of grief, I did not want to bring up the details of their contents here, but merely refer to them for those so interested in one personal perspective of that time.
Thank you again ... from your body of posts, I did not your take remarks in a disrespectful manner ... and also surmised from your initial response the information you provided in your second post. My concern was that others my mistake my inquiry as disrespect.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 02:12:39 PM by James »

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 02:09:51 PM »
Last week a former President of Concordia Theological Seminary in Fort Wayne was taken home to the Lord:
https://www.startribune.com/obituaries/detail/0000373495/?fullname=dr-reverend-david-g-schmiel

Peace,
Michael

Thanks for sharing this, Michael. I had a Luther studies class with Schmiel for which I compared sermons and interpretation over Luther's career. Helpful study.

I liked the bit in the obituary about the underpowered motorcycle tour. Made me smile. Lord, bless the family.
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 03:21:16 PM »

I never met Dr. Schmiel. He left Concordia, St. Louis for Ann Arbor (CCAA) in the summer of 1981; the year I graduated CCAA.

I know that his time at CTSFW was difficult. He was from the WELS and I think he had a lower view of the ministry--and was certainly less liturgical--than many there.

Of course, he came in the aftermath of the Preus era--something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. No one was going to have an easy time of it then.

With that in mind, although there was nothing calling him an "interim president" I think that's what he was intended to be. One member of the Synod's Higher ed department told me Schmiel's main duty as president was to write policy manuals and organize a clear line of direction. He said that whiie Preus was a great theologian, he wasn't a good administrator, something that Scaer alludes to in his memoirs.

But for now, let's try to let the past be the past. Schmiel served the church faithfully. He has received his eternal reward. We rejoice in that.
These are things that we can discuss among learned and reasonable people, or even among ourselves. (Luther, SA III, paraphrased).

FrPeters

• An Obedient Rebel
    • View Profile
    • Grace Lutheran Church Website
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 12:01:31 PM »
I knew Dr. Schmiel a bit and thought him to be an earnest churchman but he was caught up in things beyond his control and his time at CTS should not characterize his career in the church.  There are ample areas of service better reflective of the man.  It was not a good time for the Seminary or the Synod.
Fr Larry Peters
Grace LCMS, Clarksville, TN
http://www.pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com/

NGB

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 12:42:01 PM »
I have to say, I am rather dissapointed that CTS has thus far failed to acknowledge Dr. Schmielís passing either in its publications/social media or in its daily chapel service. I know Schmielís presidency was controversial, but I would have expected at least some mention in the daily chapel prayers. I havenít seen any mention from CUAA either, but I admittedly didnít check beyond Facebook.

James J Eivan

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 09:27:07 PM »
I have to say, I am rather dissapointed that CTS has thus far failed to acknowledge Dr. Schmielís passing either in its publications/social media or in its daily chapel service. I know Schmielís presidency was controversial, but I would have expected at least some mention in the daily chapel prayers. I havenít seen any mention from CUAA either, but I admittedly didnít check beyond Facebook.
Equally disappointing is the feeling it is necessary to point this out ... assuming it is true ... or that appropriately timed acknowledgment is not forth coming.

Is it proper to publicly force oneís expectations on others publicly ... or should the above concerns been expressed privately? 

Not saying ... but asking ... are these expectations covered one way or the other by Eighth Commandment concerns?

MEKoch

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2020, 06:57:15 PM »
At age 15 at St. Paul's College in Concordia, MO, David Schmiel, was my religion teacher - we were sophomores - "quintonners".   Year: 1961.