Author Topic: Now that the 2020 Election is over....  (Read 45337 times)

Randy Bosch

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Now that the 2020 Election is over....
« Reply #630 on: November 17, 2020, 01:32:33 PM »
...Note the great difference: there were people trying to remove Trump from office. There weren't efforts to keep him from assuming the office to which he had been duly elected. ...

Inaccurate. 
Plans were put into motion including specious implications against some of Trump's proposed officials long before Inaguation Day.  Disinformation was provided during the "Transition".  You only recall one viewpoint of "history".

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 17, 2020, 01:59:42 PM »

Quote from: Western Journal
A massive flaw in the Georgia elections was discovered in northwestern Floyd County, where 2,600 ballots were found that were never counted on Election Day.

Votes amounting to .05 percent of the total votes cast hardly justifies the descriptor "massive." The elections office has also noted that “the majority of the counties right now are finding zero deviations from the original number of ballots.” Floyd county was obviously an error which has been corrected.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 17, 2020, 02:03:46 PM »

One can have a board review the data of the tests before receiving the vaccine. It's like checking facts on the internet.

God, I hope not.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #633 on: November 17, 2020, 02:04:29 PM »
Thousands of Missing Ballots Uncovered in Georgia Recount, Found in Just 1 County

A massive flaw in the Georgia elections was discovered in northwestern Floyd County, where 2,600 ballots were found that were never counted on Election Day.

Located using DuckDuckGo
https://www.westernjournal.com/thousands-missing-ballots-uncovered-georgia-recount-found-just-1-county/

Yes ... there are reasons to check and verify...haste makes waste ... and hides errors and/or fraud.🤬

I live a mile from the Polk County line.  Polk County is Trump country through and through.  The politicians there are Republicans.

Trust me when I say this -- they were not trying to throw the election to Biden.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

JEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 17, 2020, 03:18:39 PM »
He is like a coach throwing the red challenge flag. If the replay is inconclusive he will lose the challenge. And even then that coach might think the refs for it wrong and that if the replay angles had been better the call would have been overturned. That isn’t a sign of insanity.

Usually before the coach throws the challenge flag, he will check with the player involved to see if he might win the challenge. If he loses the challenge, he is penalized with a reduction of one time-out. He also has a limited amount of challenges - only two. He doesn't want to waste them. What penalties are there should Trump and his team lose their challenges?

The next move in Wisconsin will be interesting.  My understanding is that the margin was close enough to allow the President to request a recount, but not close enough that the state will pay for it.  In other words, President Trump or someone acting on his behalf will have to put up the estimated $8 million cost of a recount, with a current margin of 20,000 votes in favor of Biden.  So, at least in Wisconsin, further efforts will require a financial commitment.

Peace,
Jon

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #635 on: November 17, 2020, 03:24:56 PM »
And since a chance of finding many more than 20,000 invalid ballots cast for Biden, we know that the real intent of the lawsuit is not to find a Different result for voting in that state.
Are they going to spend $8 million to mess around that way?
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Say what you will about polls, but all current polls show that a significant majority of Americans agree with the things I have been saying in this modest form.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 17, 2020, 07:38:01 PM »
...Note the great difference: there were people trying to remove Trump from office. There weren't efforts to keep him from assuming the office to which he had been duly elected. ...

Inaccurate. 
Plans were put into motion including specious implications against some of Trump's proposed officials long before Inaguation Day.  Disinformation was provided during the "Transition".  You only recall one viewpoint of "history".

The specific part I recall and am referring to is Trump assuming the office of presidency. He is the one who was elected. (I happen to believe that many of his appointees were/are not qualified for the jobs they were given. Congress gets to have a say about that.)
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 17, 2020, 08:48:10 PM »

Votes amounting to .05 percent of the total votes cast hardly justifies the descriptor "massive." The elections office has also noted that “the majority of the counties right now are finding zero deviations from the original number of ballots.” Floyd county was obviously an error which has been corrected.
Having worked for a county elections division, these ‘memory cards’ were carefully accounted for.   It’s unbelievable that a card was not missed until the recount.

Heads would have rolled in my county if a “memory card” was not accounted for on Election Night.

Sloppiness such as this taints trust in the entire process.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 18, 2020, 09:30:04 AM »
Headline in the New York Times from yesterday:
Biden Plans to Move Fast With a ‘Climate Administration.’ Here’s How.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/climate/biden-climate-change.html

It appears that climate change will be a primary theme not just for his administration, but even for cabinet appointments throughout the system, including departments not traditionally seen as being areas for climate change emphasis. In fact, a key question for consideration of appointments is: “is the person climate-ambitious?” This will be font-and-center in his administration: "one of Mr. Biden’s early executive orders is expected to require that every federal agency, department and program prepare to address climate change."

Besides rolling back and reversing Trump's executive actions (which will happen, I'm sure, on a massive scale), a lot of new governmental regulation will be coming down the pike. Biden's views and vision, though, are at odds with many Republicans:
Republicans insist they want bipartisan climate legislation, not a return to executive action, but their visions of capturing carbon from coal-fired power plants and expanding nuclear energy do not align with Mr. Biden’s promise to phase out fossil fuel-powered electricity and move to solar, wind and other renewable fuel sources.

“There are ways we can protect our environment without punishing our economy. Free market innovation, not government taxation or heavy-handed regulations, is the best way to deal with climate change,” said Senator John Barrasso of Wyoming, who is expected to take the helm of the Senate Energy Committee.

Given the narrow majority of the House going into next year, and the possibility of a Senate still in Republican hands, it will be interesting to see if the Biden administration will largely govern via executive order, essentially bi-passing congress where they feel they can't secure legislation favorable to their plans.  That would be unfortunate.  Government by executive order erodes the legislative process upon which our system is built. 

Although Biden walked back talk of eliminating fracking and fossil fuels as he was seeking votes from areas like Pennsylvania, it appears that the stump-talk of the election will now transition into policies he really intended all along.  Tough, new regulations and a revitalized EPA will ensure that any fuel production coming from oil and gas will be targeted by regulation with the goal of eventual elimination, probably on an much more accelerated timeline than we may have been led to believe during the election. 

We can't predict the ultimate impact of this on the economy or jobs, but it does raise concerns from some.  The economy at the moment is fragile, especially with waves of new shutdowns in the wake of rising COVID cases.  The entertainment and hospitality industry will take the largest hits here, but impact in any area of the economy has a ripple effect throughout the system.  Much of what we do is interconnected.  If the economy doesn't bounce back in the next two years, and if additional regulations stymie that needed growth, mid-term elections could reflect anxiety and frustration in the voting populations. 

I think many of us would agree that we want a cleaner environment to hand down to our children.  As one who works part time in fire fighting I know firsthand the effects of pollutants and their effect on the body.  Fire fighters have some of the highest cancer rates in the nation.  But I also know that other realities exist that must be addressed, including the livelihood of millions of Americans depending on jobs and industries that we cannot afford to rapidly lose. 

I hope that Biden will choose again to put unity at the top of his list as he goes forward with these ambitious environmental goals.  If he rules primarily by executive order that will not build trust or encourage cooperation from the other side. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:32:49 AM by D. Engebretson »
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 18, 2020, 09:54:05 AM »
From Rev Engebretson’s post above, it appears that there is concern that the the ‘unity’ and ‘working together’ that the possible Biden administration folks speak of is a lock step my way or the high way dictatorship that will result in continued gridlock.

May God preserved us from this foolishness.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 18, 2020, 10:03:44 AM »
From Rev Engebretson’s post above, it appears that there is concern that the the ‘unity’ and ‘working together’ that the possible Biden administration folks speak of is a lock step my way or the high way dictatorship that will result in continued gridlock.

May God preserved us from this foolishness.

So, you think there will be a "Biden administration" from which we need to be preserved?    :)

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Marshall Hahn

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 18, 2020, 03:48:15 PM »
If Trump's efforts to find enough irregularities in the voting to give him a victory fail (as it seems likely), there will be a significant irony in his defeat.  One of the primary reasons for his defeat will clearly be the Covid 19 pandemic.  Other than Trump's personality, this was the main issue upon which the democrats campaigned.  However, since the election there has been the announcement of not one, but two vaccines on the verge of approval for use.  His prediction this summer that "Operation Warp Speed" would produce a vaccine by the end of the year was roundly ridiculed by his opponents.  Yet now it appears that his prediction was right on the money, and could not come at a better time.  Despite all the criticism of his handling of the pandemic, Trump's shepherding of this project, cutting through the red tape, creating a public-private partnership to fast-track the development of a vaccine in record time will go down as one of the major accomplishments of his administration and has the possibility of saving countless lives.  Long after the criticisms of his impolitic statements have been forgotten, this accomplishment will be remembered.

Marshall Hahn 

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #642 on: November 18, 2020, 05:54:30 PM »
What precisely did he do to bring this about. Be specific.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Say what you will about polls, but all current polls show that a significant majority of Americans agree with the things I have been saying in this modest form.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 18, 2020, 06:07:45 PM »
What precisely did he do to bring this about. Be specific.
He cut through the normal approval processes that delay the development of new vaccines. What do think he should have done that would have made the vaccines come faster? Be specific. You and your ilk mocked him for saying Warp Speed would get a vaccine by the end of the year. You were 100% wrong, and incessantly sanctimonious and whiny about it, and he was 100% right. No other country produced a vaccine this quickly. Just apologize and move on. Quit digging.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #644 on: November 18, 2020, 06:18:48 PM »
OK. He gets the win, sort of, for the vaccine. But along the road, there was a problem because he attempted to politicize the development of the vaccine, this publicly being so severe that the pharmaceutical companies had to keep assuring people that they were doing the proper thing And not being directed by politicians.