Author Topic: Now that the 2020 Election is over....  (Read 59008 times)

D. Engebretson

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Now that the 2020 Election is over....
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2020, 02:28:57 PM »
So will the demographics of the Trump or No-Trump voters have any long-term consequences?
And demographics may be another form of the supposedly dread "identity politics." Blue Collar worker. White collar worker. College or Grad School. High School Graduate. Income over $100,000. Income under $60,000. Hunter/Sports Fan. Artist/Symphony supporter.
None of this should matter. We all need clean air. Good water. A stable, safe society.

That may be true, in a general sense.  However, certain 'demographics' have different perceived needs that do need to be addressed.  Policies impact different groups in different ways and at different levels. Gun control policies, for example, mean something different to the person from the city who simply wants 'guns off the street,' as opposed to the recreational hunter in the rural areas. Income levels also play a role since some receive their income from investments, others from an hourly wage.  Taxation impacts each at a different level. Even the definition of what a "stable, safe society" differs from one group to the next, although there are certainly points of convergence (e.g. no one wants sewage spilling into the local river or stream, and all want air that is breathable, etc.).
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2020, 06:22:59 PM »
The New York Times today has a long story about how smooth the election went in spite of the dire warnings about disruptions, long lines, and other things that might’ve messed things up. More than 700,000 people around the country were either volunteered or been recruited to serve as poll workers, handling the account and the security of the ballots. And tens of thousands of others had already been registered as poll workers, observers at  the polls or in another positions that would handle  election day procedures.
Even the pandemic did not result in as many long lines as  feared. And the experience this past week will enable the next round of voting to go even smoother. I suspect that the “Postal Service play“ that could’ve affected ballots getting to the proper place at the proper time won’t happen again.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Twice-vaccinated.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2020, 06:25:00 PM »
Also looking ahead:
I got to know the WHO during my years in Geneva and following and I learned of the good work it is doing all over the world. It is very good that we will be back in as a full member. By the way, the Lutheran World Federation cooperates with the WHO in some healthcare projects in difficult parts of the world.

Weedon

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2020, 06:25:33 PM »
I was a tad skeptical about the voting by mail, I admit. But both my wife and I did it and we loved it! I think that’s what we’ll do from now forward, given the choice.
William Weedon, Assistant Pastor
St. Paul Lutheran Church, Hamel IL
Catechist on LPR Podcast: The Word of the Lord Endures Forever
A Daily, Verse-by-Verse Bible Study with the Church, Past and Present
www.thewordendures.org

+Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2020, 06:30:26 PM »
I was a tad skeptical about the voting by mail, I admit. But both my wife and I did it and we loved it! I think that’s what we’ll do from now forward, given the choice.
Not me. I actually enjoy voting. It has a unique atmosphere to it. I kind of like Christmas shopping in crowds, too, even though I hate shopping, can't stand waiting in lines, and generally avoid crowds. You feel like you're part of something larger. Of course, if most people vote by mail and most people shop online, then the whole thing falls apart. But for now, I plan to vote in person on election day.

Weedon

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2020, 06:45:02 PM »
Ha! And since Amazon I’ve not gone Christmas shopping in years other than on my iPad!
William Weedon, Assistant Pastor
St. Paul Lutheran Church, Hamel IL
Catechist on LPR Podcast: The Word of the Lord Endures Forever
A Daily, Verse-by-Verse Bible Study with the Church, Past and Present
www.thewordendures.org

+Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2020, 06:48:03 PM »
Also looking ahead:
I got to know the WHO during my years in Geneva and following and I learned of the good work it is doing all over the world. It is very good that we will be back in as a full member. By the way, the Lutheran World Federation cooperates with the WHO in some healthcare projects in difficult parts of the world.
I'm sure that the WHO has been a great organization and has done great things. However, there was substantial evidence that in this coronavirus pandemic they were more subservient to the will of the Chinese government than to the prompt assistance in understanding and containing the pandemic. That does not assist fulfilling the WHO mission and mandate and needs to be corrected.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2020, 06:53:39 PM »
Not me. I actually enjoy voting. It has a unique atmosphere to it. I kind of like Christmas shopping in crowds, too, even though I hate shopping, can't stand waiting in lines, and generally avoid crowds. You feel like you're part of something larger. Of course, if most people vote by mail and most people shop online, then the whole thing falls apart. But for now, I plan to vote in person on election day.

I prefer to vote in person, but our county has now been all vote by mail for the past few elections, so no choice here. I also have to admit that I have never in my life had to stand in line more than five minutes to vote, so that might skew my viewpoint. And I've actually usually not voted "by mail" but by dropping off my ballot at one of the drop-off locations (usually, if I have my choice, at the county government center so it's as close to the elections office as possible!). I have to admit that I get pretty much the same rush of "civic participation" doing this as in going to the polls, with the only exception being that i don't get the little "I voted" sticker.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2020, 07:46:57 PM »
The I suspect that the “Postal Service play“ that could’ve affected ballots getting to the proper place at the proper time won’t happen again.
There are other reasons to pause on the Postal Service involvement in elections .. 
Quote from: WISTV
Sen. Graham vows to follow-up on affidavit from Penn. postal worker alleging election fraud
https://www.wistv.com/2020/11/07/sen-graham-vows-follow-up-affidavit-penn-postal-worker-alleging-election-fraud/?outputType=amp

James J Eivan

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2020, 08:04:38 PM »
In 1960 there was a lot of concern that the Illinois election was crooked (surprise, surprise!).  Richard Nixon was told he should contest it but he said it would harm the country to do so.  It is time for President Trump to think of the nation rather than himself.  It's time for him to be presidential.
It may come to that point the President should do something for the good of the country ... but based on historical precedent, we are not there yet. 

Neither side in 2000 was concerned as the Florida vote litigation proceeded ... if the country was not threaten in 2000, pausing for a bit in an attempt to elevate alleviate doubt is definitely in the best interest of the country.

Here endeth the history lesson.😎

Edit: strike through of the errant spell/grammar check😶
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 12:18:28 AM by James »

Keith Falk

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2020, 08:30:18 PM »
In 1960 there was a lot of concern that the Illinois election was crooked (surprise, surprise!).  Richard Nixon was told he should contest it but he said it would harm the country to do so.  It is time for President Trump to think of the nation rather than himself.  It's time for him to be presidential.
It may come to that point the President should do something for the good of the country ... but based on historical precedent, we are not there yet. 

Neither side in 2000 was concerned as the Florida vote litigation proceeded ... if the country was not threaten in 2000, pausing for a bit in an attempt to elevate doubt is definitely in the best interest of the country.

Here endeth the history lesson.😎

Sure hope you mean "alleviate" doubt, as opposed to "elevate" doubt!   ;D
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2020, 08:34:26 PM »
Pastor Fienen:
However, there was substantial evidence that in this coronavirus pandemic they (the WHO) were more subservient to the will of the Chinese government than to the prompt assistance in understanding and containing the pandemic. That does not assist fulfilling the WHO mission and mandate and needs to be corrected.

Me:
Maybe that’s true, maybe not. But if it is, we can’t correct it if we’re not in the organization, can we?

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2020, 08:51:12 PM »
Pastor Fienen:
However, there was substantial evidence that in this coronavirus pandemic they (the WHO) were more subservient to the will of the Chinese government than to the prompt assistance in understanding and containing the pandemic. That does not assist fulfilling the WHO mission and mandate and needs to be corrected.

Me:
Maybe that’s true, maybe not. But if it is, we can’t correct it if we’re not in the organization, can we?
Depends on what you’re trying to keep healthy and strong, the WHO or the United States.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2020, 08:51:43 PM »
Apparently Biden plans a flurry of executive actions on "Day One" to reverse actions of the Trump presidency.  With a thinner majority margin in the House and the possibility that Republicans retain the Senate, it appears that he will exert a lot of quick change via executive order.  That, of course, is his prerogative, and Trump used the same authority.  But it will be interesting how far he plans to go and if many of his actions will alienate him from the very people with whom he pledged to work toward unity and healing.  Proposed executive orders will cover a wide range of actions from climate control issues to gender identity issues to gun control.  He wants to see the Equality Act signed into law, a law that would add “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” as protected classes under federal civil rights law. This will certainly be a contentious one, and it will be interesting to see how intrusive this law will be into private employment practices and religious institutions.  Along with this will be orders impacting schools and how they deal with transgendered students in terms of access to sports, locker rooms, etc. These kinds of actions will again cause legal issues for religious institutions and cause no little push back and conflict. As far as the pandemic is concerned he is looking at the possibility of a nationwide mask order, although it is already questioned if he has the legal authority to enforce such a mandate.  Many accept the wearing of masks as part of the way we deal with the spread of the virus.  But a nationwide mandate could very well exacerbate concerns from the other side of the aisle of government overreach.  Regarding energy policies, he wants to reduce extraction of oil and gas, like directing the Department of the Interior to halt oil and gas leases and fracking on federal lands. I know he wants to move in the direction of the "New Green Deal," and many accept the development of alternative energy sources.  But there's tension here and a lot at stake economically.  I hope he doesn't push it too far too fast. There is a lot of division between Republicans and Democrats on this issue.

Some of these orders may not have much impact or negative reactions. But, again, if he is serious about restoring unity and bringing healing to divisions, a flurry of actions designed to reverse as much of Trump's policies as possible in a short period of time is going to send the contrary signal that his priority is to erase anything Trump did - and by extension anything others supported that Trump did.

Personally, I would hope Biden will not step on the gas too hard in those first few weeks and months. I think many will stand behind him if he makes reasonable efforts to combat COVID-19.  He campaigned on that heavily and polls showed it had a broad concern in the electorate.  Although even here he must consider that not all Americans are on the same page. How heavy handed he is or appears to be could do more harm than good to his goal of bringing people together. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2020, 08:59:04 PM »
Peter writes:
Depends on what you’re trying to keep healthy and strong, the WHO or the United States.

I comment:
Explain to me how participating fully in WHO would weaken the United States.