Author Topic: Now that the 2020 Election is over....  (Read 58404 times)

Voelker

Re: Now that the 2020 Election is over....
« Reply #465 on: November 13, 2020, 06:35:06 PM »
he added to civil unrest rather than helped to heal it.
Maybe. Or maybe, just maybe, that four-year-long coup attempt had something to do with "civil unrest".

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 13, 2020, 06:37:02 PM »
Maybe. Or maybe, just maybe, that four-year-long coup attempt had something to do with "civil unrest".

Perhaps "civil unrest" came about because the guy many voted for, who got the most number of votes, was not elected president in 2016. Perhaps "civil unrest" came about because of the uncivil rhetoric from the president towards those who disagree with him.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Voelker

« Reply #467 on: November 13, 2020, 06:52:00 PM »
Perhaps "civil unrest" came about because the guy many voted for, who got the most number of votes, was not elected president in 2016. Perhaps "civil unrest" came about because of the uncivil rhetoric from the president towards those who disagree with him.
She lost according to the rules. Just like many claim is the case this year. Losing an election is no excuse for grownups to act like toddlers, and this applies both ways — recent events + the past memory of birtherism help to lay bare just how addled much of the populace has become. Just this past week I saw a post from a pastor who claimed they saw on the news that Trump had many states vote for him, then found themselves screaming and sobbing in terror for hours; all sorts of other clergy in response coddled them, agreeing with what they said, telling them they were right in their feelings (I truly fear for every person under the "spiritual care" of such beings). People need care and help, but instead they're getting their way — which, experience with children shows, will only lead to more acting out. People who allow themselves to be goaded into insanity by rhetoric (rhetoric!) aren't to be trusted, and rather than being looked at with pity, their shame hidden from view by caring adults, are held up as honorable and virtuous by the media, who clearly both have no shame and no understanding of not feeding the beast.

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 13, 2020, 07:17:00 PM »
https://spectator.org/pennsylvania-voting-doesnt-add-up/

From the article, after some number crunching-- "In other words, Donald Trump vastly outperformed his numbers nationally but vastly underperformed them in Pennsylvania. And if you believe that, then I have a thousand acres of farmland to sell you in Philadelphia."
Officials raised concerns for years about security of U.S. voting machines, software systems

https://www.thecentersquare.com/national/officials-raised-concerns-for-years-about-security-of-u-s-voting-machines-software-systems/article_bec0fc86-2144-11eb-bc8c-bb85a60db758.html

The State of Texas has refused to certify Dominion voting systems to be used in the state at least 4 times .. most recently in 2019.

Many locals with contested elections are using this substandard equipment.  Apparently there should be some national standard to insure that nationwide substandard equipment does not introduce doubt or worse into elections.

Were Dominion machines used in Pennsylvania?

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #469 on: November 13, 2020, 07:54:35 PM »
Election. Over.
Biden. Won.
Moving on now to setting up a new administration.
(But validly concerned about what idiotic chaos the current occupant of the white house might let fly before Jan. 20.)
Some hopeful news on the virus front. Nothing to do with Him.
A new team being formed to deal with the virus in the future. Nothing to do with Him.
There will be time to look at the mechanics and timing of our presidential elections. We should do so.
We move on.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Twice-vaccinated.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 13, 2020, 10:30:31 PM »
I hope, in the spirit of finding the best even in those we don't particularly care for, that in time - in time - it will be possible to discuss what Trump did for the country that was positive and good.  I would do that now, but the raw feelings of anger and disgust toward him as a person are such that it would not be productive.  But I hope that when these feelings ease, and those those who voted for Biden have had time to celebrate, that someone, at some point in the future, can provide a fair assessment of the positives from the Trump administration.  Personally I believe such a list is possible, but again, it would not be received well at this point in time.  For some, I suspect, it might never be.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 14, 2020, 12:35:13 AM »

Some hopeful news on the virus front. Nothing to do with Him.
A new team being formed to deal with the virus in the future. Nothing to do with Him.

Did you really mean to capitalize "Him"?

Deifying...albeit backhandedly...the one who you have denigrated these past four years?
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 14, 2020, 04:51:44 AM »
You miss the counter-suggestion in Pastor Austin's comment. The point is that 45's supporters have deified 'Him.'  Pastor Austin is not deifying anybody.  It's subtle, I know, but stick with it.
Norman Teigen

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #473 on: November 14, 2020, 05:48:02 AM »
We thought (and I believe Mr. Teigen) intended this to be forward-looking and hopeful. 
But furious defense of Mr. Trump, some blue-sky stratosphere speculations from Trump supporters, and the president, acting out the closing scenes of a Greek tragedy (or maybe a slapstick comedy), have taken the thread down a different path.
   The drama continues tilting towards the absurdist side. This past week President Trump’s top-flight lawyers quit the case (probably in disgust and because their client would not take their advice) after losing a series of challenges.
   And – ta da! - Rudy Giuliani is picked to lead the legal attack on the election and attempt to be the comic relief for viewers shaken by the severity of this assault on our republic. Rudy would testify that the moon was made of green cheese if his client so ordered.
   The top K-Street firm, Porter Wright Morris & Arthur, dumped the president after their losses. Biden leads by nearly 60,000 votes in Pennsylvania and six cases were tossed out. They involved a whopping 8,921 votes, still considered valid. Not only did the lawyers lose, they finally woke up to the fact that even if they won, it wouldn’t mean anything.
   The Porter Wright firm told the court that they and their client had “reached a mutual agreement that Plaintiffs will be best served if Porter Wright withdraws”.
   It appears that Mr. Trump’s only “win” was a Pennsylvania case where it was alleged a small number of voters were given incorrect information about voter ID and the dates for casting the ballots. Guess what? Those votes had already not been included in Pennsylvania’s final tally because of confusion over when they had been received. If any of them had been for the incumbent, out they go!
   Wendy Weiser, from the Brennan Center for Justice, a bipartisan law and public policy institute, told ABC News, "These law firms (defending the challenges) have been under tremendous pressure as it became clear these claims were baseless, and that they were part of a broader campaign to delegitimize the election."
   "This was not an appropriate use of the court system," she said.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 05:51:50 AM by Charles Austin »

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 14, 2020, 08:39:08 AM »
We thought (and I believe Mr. Teigen) intended this to be forward-looking and hopeful. 
But furious defense of Mr. Trump...
Forward-looking and hopeful does not involve attacking the candidate who ostensibly lost. Absent attacks, there is no defense. You are the one still obsessed with Trump. If you claim his supporters have deified him, that they're dangerous, that Trump supporters are like nazis and filled with hate, etc. then Trump supporters will simply correct what is obviously erroneous about your attacks. If you simply look forward hopefully to a Biden administration, you can remain blissfully unaware of Trump supporters are thinking.

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #475 on: November 14, 2020, 08:48:43 AM »
Forward-looking and hopeful does not involve attacking the candidate who ostensibly lost. Absent attacks, there is no defense. You are the one still obsessed with Trump. If you claim his supporters have deified him, that they're dangerous, that Trump supporters are like nazis and filled with hate, etc. then Trump supporters will simply correct what is obviously erroneous about your attacks. If you simply look forward hopefully to a Biden administration, you can remain blissfully unaware of Trump supporters are thinking.

Of course, “look forward” here means simply “let’s stop talking bad about the (soon to be current) president. It’s a one way ratchet.

As ever, attempting to control speech is a hallmark of leftist thought. As if anyone has the right to tell me what I am allowed to discuss.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 14, 2020, 08:54:23 AM »

Of course, “look forward” here means simply “let’s stop talking bad about the (soon to be current) president. It’s a one way ratchet.

As ever, attempting to control speech is a hallmark of leftist thought. As if anyone has the right to tell me what I am allowed to discuss.
An interesting new poll shows that about 4% of Biden voters would not have voted for him had they known about Hunter Biden's ties to China. But they either voted early or simply were unaware of it because of the media blackout of stories related to it. It is unarguable that Big Tech overtly became the gatekeepers of acceptable speech and thought in this election. This will also be the year that the old guard media (NYT, WaPo, AP) gave up even the pretense of reporting rather than advocating. That is a function is describing one side as Hitler-- it puts a moral demand on people to do anything, even lie or cheat, in order to stop him.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 14, 2020, 09:02:35 AM »
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2020/11/14/democracy-institute-pollster-yes-i-think-this-election-was-stolen-n2579970

This article notes that Biden underperformed Hillary Clinton in major metro areas around the country because the "shy Trump voters" turned out to be Black males and suburban women. But amazingly, he greatly overperformed Clinton in Milwaukee, Detroit, Philadelphia, and Atlanta. Just Wisconsin's supposed 89% voter turnout is a staggering statistical outlier calling for some explanation.

There is no proof of cheating here. But there are things happening that if we were acting as an international observer to some other country's elections, we would start raising red flags.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #478 on: November 14, 2020, 09:57:34 AM »
So now you’re starting to believe the polls, either?
And was everything the major media reported about trump wrong? Everything? Were the lies actually truth? And is everything you’re now reading in the conservative media reacting to the results of the election, true?

Voelker

« Reply #479 on: November 14, 2020, 10:14:19 AM »
But there are things happening that if we were acting as an international observer to some other country's elections, we would start raising red flags.
Here's a guide for asking questions on an election: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-37243190