Author Topic: Forum decorum  (Read 850 times)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Forum decorum
« on: October 28, 2020, 04:06:26 PM »
I've just received a complaint from someone who received several unsolicited PMs or emails warning them about the likely bad behavior of some forum participants. That is not acceptable behavior, and people who are new to the forum find it creepy. Don't do things like that. Message people you know or to ask questions about something posted, but don't abuse the member list by taking your hobby-horse topics into private emails with strangers.

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
Re: Forum decorum
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 07:16:32 PM »
There is a lot of creepy stuff coming out on this venerable forum.
Norman Teigen

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 08:17:14 PM »
There is a lot of creepy stuff coming out on this venerable forum.

Well, it is almost Halloween.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 06:58:48 AM »
I've just received a complaint from someone who received several unsolicited PMs or emails warning them about the likely bad behavior of some forum participants. That is not acceptable behavior, and people who are new to the forum find it creepy. Don't do things like that. Message people you know or to ask questions about something posted, but don't abuse the member list by taking your hobby-horse topics into private emails with strangers.

Sounds like an example of targeting with intent to recruit that was not welcomed. God be praised.
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

FrPeters

• An Obedient Rebel
    • View Profile
    • Grace Lutheran Church Website
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 09:51:41 AM »
If you do not like how you are treated on this forum, you do not have to stay.  I have left often for extended lengths of time and nobody much seemed to miss me and I did not miss the forum.  From time to time I have ventured back to see what is happening.  That said, PMs or other contacts that are unwelcome are a form of harassment and should not be tolerated.  FWIW I do not mind the spirited interchange when it is focused on an issue or topic.  What is tiresome is when trading insults is in lieu of solid arguments.  In this respect, I have heard it from both sides of issues.  Although it can be reliably found from several predictable sources.
Fr Larry Peters
Grace LCMS, Clarksville, TN
http://www.pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com/

Randy Bosch

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 10:12:24 AM »
Here's a thought:
15 "Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.     
16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.                                                                 
17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."                      Colossians 3:15-17

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 10:24:26 AM »
If you do not like how you are treated on this forum, you do not have to stay.  I have left often for extended lengths of time and nobody much seemed to miss me and I did not miss the forum.  From time to time I have ventured back to see what is happening.  That said, PMs or other contacts that are unwelcome are a form of harassment and should not be tolerated.  FWIW I do not mind the spirited interchange when it is focused on an issue or topic.  What is tiresome is when trading insults is in lieu of solid arguments.  In this respect, I have heard it from both sides of issues.  Although it can be reliably found from several predictable sources.
Risking the vicious accusation of “sucking up”,  Rev Peters your absence from the forum as was the extended absence of Rev Weedon, Kirchner as well as Dr Gard as well as others was noted ... welcome back ... your return and contributions are appreciated.

The absence of others is missed as well as others ... but given recent comments about PM’s, one is left wondering if expressing anything privately is a violation of forum decorum.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 01:21:53 PM »

Quote from: James on Today at 11:39:09 AM

Quote from: Charles Austin on Today at 10:53:52 AM

How do you think I called it up? By Google. Good grief!

Dodging the point again ... what search string did you use? 

Hopefully you are as eager to instruct and enlighten as you apparently are to insult and belittle 😡

d
Whatever! What does it matter what search string Pr. Austin used to find the information that someone else didn't find? The only significance would be if it could be helpful for improving our internet searches.

It's become quite tedious to skim through post after post of tit for tat traded insults and complaints that so and so said this or that person won't give me his full identity so that I can check up on him IRL (In Real Life). What are we trying to do, Dox each other? It is also wearisome to page through traded barbs and snarks and how the moderators didn't call so and so about he posted but did chide me. Is this a discussion forum for grown ups or an overgrown playground?

Oh, and for the moderators https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qola8nvoZm4
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 07:28:12 PM »

Ah Larry, I always miss you.  ;)
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 10:05:47 PM »
Modernized paraphrase of Psalm 141:

"Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouse
And a protecting door about my "enter" key"
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 10:56:43 PM »
Message deleted.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 09:45:05 AM by Charles Austin »
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 11:07:49 PM »
Here is something I have ofttimes pondered as an aid to ALPB and its ministry.
Supposing that in order to be on the ALPB online forum, you had to subscribe to the journal and the newsletter, with the price raised to $35 per year?
The subscription price would also give one reading access to the ALPB online forum
, but in order to post on the ALPB online forum, you would pay an additional $25 per year.
And, of course, no anonymity allowed.
 ;D ;D ;D

A merican
L utheran
P AYWALL
B ureau ?

No thank you.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 11:10:55 PM »
Message deleted.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 09:45:25 AM by Charles Austin »
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 11:41:43 PM »
You don’t think a publishing house deserves financial support? That it should give away its products?

Of course they do!

But I'm sure you can remember CPH mailing out copies of their new hymnal in 2005 and AF handing out copies of ELW at Synod Assemblies in 2007.

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 12:03:03 AM »
You don’t think a publishing house deserves financial support? That it should give away its products?

Breaking the ALPB’s first commandment “ Don't feed trolls. You'll thank yourself later.’

Those who find the form publications helpful are already subscribing or have purchased these products. What drives you bonkers is that those who subscribe/Purchase forum products are completely anonymous to you… Unless they publicly admit it.

No one is suggesting that the ALPB give away any of its published products ... yes ... an author deserves to be compensated.

As authors should be compensated ... what is being suggested is the direct opposite ... the author pays for the privilege of being an author.

Unless one us willing to pay for the privilege of writing in real life, why should one pay for the privilege for writing in ALPB life?

Unless you are yearning for the poll tax days, the paywall idea just won’t fly ... even if pigs do.😶

Oh yes drop the anonymous crud .. that ship sailed years ago ...

You have had multiple opportunities to read the Forum Registration Agreement which clearly states ...
[/font]
Quote from: ALPB Forum Registration Agreement
You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate.
No court, packed or not would deem anonymous “ suitable or proper in the circumstances.”

Incessantly whining about anonymity ranks HIGH on the forum’s inappropriate scale.

Back to the ALPB first commandment. 😷😶🤭