Author Topic: Discussion of the October 22 Debate  (Read 795 times)

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
Discussion of the October 22 Debate
« on: October 22, 2020, 12:24:52 AM »
The debate of the week began in earnest Wednesday ... or actually earlier.

Earlier in the week it was reported that debate moderator Kristen Welker deactivated her Twitter account.

Wednesday’s national news reports the powers that be are working to convince the American people that concerns about Hunter Biden’s international escapades is merely personal attack and hate speech ... nothing to worry about.

Tabloid TV reinforces this personal attack/hate speech mantra on Wednesday’s “The View” appearance of Dr Jill Biden.

Yet in spite of all the above, the non partisan debate commission is doing its best to deprive the country of a fair and honest discussion of the facts.

Let the discussion begin.

Charles Austin

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Discussion of the October 22 Debate
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2020, 04:10:56 AM »
Nope. Not here.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2020, 09:26:39 AM »
Nope. Not here.
Awaiting Reverend Johnson’s admonition that Reverend Austin is not the moderator ... however unlikely that is. Not to mention his post contributed absolutely nothing to the discussion.

It’s interesting how the “non partisan” debate commission now makes unilateral changes in delayed rules under cover of darkness. Media reported how the addition of the political posturing plastic walls went up involving discussion with the vice presidential debate.

Under cover of darkness, the debate commission unilaterally decided to scrap the second debate by changing the rules attempting to Unilaterally foist a virtual debate on the candidates and nation.

Now for tonight’s debate, additional unilateral changes have been made ... originally both campaigns agreed to rules ... subsequent changes have been unilaterally decided on by the debate commission czars.

Will future campaigns agree to further debates … Knowing that the debate czars can unilaterally change the rules?

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 09:42:10 AM »
Nope. Not here.
Why do you always post that you're not posting? It derails the conversation.

As for the debate tonight, I think I might watch. Haven't been able to watch more than snippets of previous debates merely because I find them so annoying. Granted they used to be pointless infomercials at which both candidates ignored the question and launched into prepared talking points, leaving everyone to look for ridiculous clues to the race-- Bush glanced at his watch! Clinton stared dreamily into the camera and said he felt the nation's pain! Al Gore dressed like an Alpha Male! Wow...who cares? But in overthrowing that old establishment approach, Trump just made it worse by making the debates irritating to listen to, like hearing your children in the basement fighting over toys, only this time you can't holler downstairs for them to knock it off. So I didn't watch the primary debates in 2016 because I couldn't stand Trump, and I watched only parts of the Clinton/Trump debates. Same this time around. But I think with the mute button in action it might be more interesting.   

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2020, 10:05:57 AM »
Since an equivalent of as many as a third of those who voted in 2016 have already taken part in early voting, and since many are quite entrenched in their own viewpoints and unlikely to change, I am wondering how much impact this debate will have on the election overall. 

If Trump does as he did last time (although he'll be muted now for part of the speeches), it will undoubtedly irritate people again.  But will it significantly shift votes from independents who may have been leaning one way or the other?  My sense is it will not. And if it does it will be statistically insignificant. At this point it feels like another show without any real significant impact on the overall course of this election.

I'm not going to watch it.  It made me uncomfortable before just to see parts.  I'll just wait and vote.

Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2020, 10:35:39 AM »
Since an equivalent of as many as a third of those who voted in 2016 have already taken part in early voting, and since many are quite entrenched in their own viewpoints and unlikely to change, I am wondering how much impact this debate will have on the election overall. 

If Trump does as he did last time (although he'll be muted now for part of the speeches), it will undoubtedly irritate people again.  But will it significantly shift votes from independents who may have been leaning one way or the other?  My sense is it will not. And if it does it will be statistically insignificant. At this point it feels like another show without any real significant impact on the overall course of this election.

I'm not going to watch it.  It made me uncomfortable before just to see parts.  I'll just wait and vote.
I'm con on early voting, but my sense of it is that it mostly just gets it over with for people who were going to vote for their candidate no matter what and are regular, reliable voters. I think people who are genuinely undecided headed into an election year have an incentive to wait until election day to vote because they're gathering information. If they said in September, "That's it, I've made up my mind," they'd have to acknowledge that something might happen in October to make them change their mind. At least, that would be my mindset if I were an undecided voter.

James

• Guard Personal Information! Doxxing trolls present
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2020, 11:37:52 AM »
Agreed… Occasionally candidate missteps in the last week or two of elections can derail certain candidate victory.

It seems as though there was talk years ago of a candidate for governor… In some southern state… Possibly Texas who made a ill advised remark of a sexual nature in the last week or 10 days of the campaign… Going from a shoe in to losing the election.

There was a period of time in which high consistently worked outside of town… And will make sure I voted on the last day of early voting… But that can backfire to as in our county on more than one occasion there have been more people vote on the final day of early voting them in the preceding two weeks.
If necessary, there will be a peaceful transfer of power on Jan 20, 2021.

In the event election fraud is proven in the courts of our country, there will be an inauguration ceremony ... no transfer of power necessary.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2020, 11:45:33 AM »
Peter, I just said I would not discuss the debate under this thread of discussion, begun by someone I do not know, and populated by that person (or robot or whatever) and another with whom I am not to communicate. If I have comments on the debate, they will go where they belong, under the Elections2020 thread. I'll not be tricked into the shenanigans perpetrated on the forum by anonymous posters.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2020, 12:16:34 PM »
Peter, I just said I would not discuss the debate under this thread of discussion, begun by someone I do not know, and populated by that person (or robot or whatever) and another with whom I am not to communicate. If I have comments on the debate, they will go where they belong, under the Elections2020 thread.

So you're not going to discuss it on this thread by discussing it on this thread? Interesting strategy. Let's see how it works out.

I'll not be tricked into the shenanigans perpetrated on the forum by anonymous posters.

I don't think you're strategy is working out the way you thought. You might want to rethink it.
These are things that we can discuss among learned and reasonable people, or even among ourselves. (Luther, SA III, paraphrased).

Randy Bosch

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2020, 12:20:16 PM »
...I'll not be tricked into the shenanigans perpetrated on the forum by anonymous posters.

Apparently, many Forum posters will not be tricked into the shenanigans perpetrated on the forum by name-verified posters, either.  Win Win.

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2020, 08:15:28 PM »
Interesting... Public calendar of the President shows his movements in and around Nashville for tonight’s debate here.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »
I thought the most unintentionally funny part of the debate (which I saw only about half of) was when Biden said he doesn't see red states and blue states but just the United States, then in the same answer launched into a diagnosis of the problem with "red states."

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 01:40:26 PM »

My brother studies presidential elections for a living, and if I understand his take, the problem for Trump with early voting is not who shows up and who doesn't, but that the nationwide polling shows Biden with a sufficient lead to predict he will win, and the early voters are generally those who have already made up their minds (as you suggest).  What this means is there are less and less undecided voters to swing Trump's way late.

I think you are right -- the likelihood is the last debate will have very little effect.  The result is already baked into the "vote early" pie.

I voted on Tuesday, 2 days before the debate, for example.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 02:40:26 PM »
Interesting... Public calendar of the President shows his movements in and around Nashville for tonight’s debate here.

What on earth did you find interesting about it?
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 04:22:59 PM »
It was the standard presidents schedule report. Journalists get that every single day. “Julio” seems to be attracted to it as if it were a shiny object.