Author Topic: Prayer requests  (Read 786 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Prayer requests
« on: October 18, 2020, 04:48:42 PM »
The previous "Prayer Requests" thread had to be shut down because of people posting inappropriate matters; we'll hope this one fares better.

Bishop Paull Spring, one of the founders of the NALC and its first bishop, has suffered a stroke and has other health complications, and is reportedly near death. Previously a bishop in the ELCA and the LCA, Bp. Spring has played a significant role in North American Lutheranism for many years. Prayers for peace for him and his family are requested.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Prayer requests
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 04:55:41 PM »
Bishop Spring indeed played a critical role in American Lutheranism during his ministry. I do not think there would have been a NALC without him. We pray for him, his loved ones and his church.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 05:10:09 PM »
O Lord Almighty,
the Healer of our souls and bodies,
You Who put down and raise up,
Who chastise and heal also;
do You now, in Your great mercy,
visit our brother Paull who is sick.
Stretch forth Your hand that is full of healing and health,
and get him up from his bed, and cure him of his illness.
Put away from him the spirit of disease and of every malady,
pain and fever to which he is bound; ....
yea, Lord my God, pity Your creation,
through the compassions of Your Only-Begotten Son,
together with Your All-Holy, Good and Life-creating Spirit,
with Whom You are blessed,
both now and ever,
and to the ages of ages. Amen.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 06:17:11 PM »
This message came yesterday from Bp. Selbo:

Dear NALC Pastors and Leaders,
Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus. I am writing to request your prayers for Bishop Paull Spring and his wife, Barbara.Over the past few weeks, Bishop Spring has been in and out of the hospital a number of times. He is currently in the hospital and not doing well.Be praying for his healing, for a sense of peace, and for the comfort of the Holy Spirit to be with both Paull and Barbara.Ultimately, as we all are, he is the hands of God. God is good. His will is for our salvation. God's promise and our hope in Jesus are certain and clear.Thank you for your partnership in the Gospel and for your prayers for Bishop Paull.
In Christ Jesus, [/t]
[/t][/t]
Bishop Daniel W. Selbo[/color][/size]
[/t]

Mike in Pennsylvania

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 07:16:31 PM »
One correction to Pastor Johnson.  Bishop Spring was not an LCA bishop, but a pastor and conference dean.  At the constituting convention of the Northwest Pennsylvania Synod of the ELCA, he was elected its first bishop.  I was the secretary for that convention.
NALC Interim Pastor

GalRevRedux

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • The poster formerly known as GalRev83.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 08:17:15 PM »
I had not known Bishop Spring until we were in the process of forming the NALC. I was assigned to a committee that related to issues of rostering, candidacy and which was dealing with relationships with the ELCA as we prepared to leave. I wound up on the committee with 5 ELCA bishops, and as the only “foot soldier” I was intimidated! Bishop Paull made me feel valued, respected and was always kind. His mind was brilliant, he had a pastor’s heart, and his facility with Lutheran theology and confessions was tremendous. I read this evening that he has entered the Church Triumphant. He will be sorely missed. May his memory be blessed.

Donna
A pastor of the North American Lutheran Church.

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 08:46:50 PM »
I had not known Bishop Spring until we were in the process of forming the NALC. I was assigned to a committee that related to issues of rostering, candidacy and which was dealing with relationships with the ELCA as we prepared to leave. I wound up on the committee with 5 ELCA bishops, and as the only “foot soldier” I was intimidated! Bishop Paull made me feel valued, respected and was always kind. His mind was brilliant, he had a pastor’s heart, and his facility with Lutheran theology and confessions was tremendous. I read this evening that he has entered the Church Triumphant. He will be sorely missed. May his memory be blessed.

Donna

Donna —

I had not heard that Paull has died. He was a valued pastor to me and so many others. I will always cherish a few shared evenings of conversation, enriched with wine and the wafting smoke from his pipe. May he Rest In Peace.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 11:19:28 PM »
One correction to Pastor Johnson.  Bishop Spring was not an LCA bishop, but a pastor and conference dean.  At the constituting convention of the Northwest Pennsylvania Synod of the ELCA, he was elected its first bishop.  I was the secretary for that convention.

Thanks for the correction.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 12:09:53 AM »
O God,
Thou didst raise Thy servant, Paull,
to the sacred priesthood of Jesus Christ,
according to the Order of Melchisedech,
giving him the sublime power to offer the Eternal Sacrifice,
to bring the Body and Blood of Thy Son Jesus Christ down upon the altar,
and to absolve the sins of men in Thine own Holy Name:

We beseech Thee to reward his faithfulness and to forget his faults,
admitting him speedily into Thy Holy Presence,
there to enjoy forever the recompense of his labors.
This we ask through Jesus Christ Thy Son, our Lord. Amen.

Eonia imnimi
Vecchnaya Pamjat
Memory Eternal!

Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Pastor Ken Kimball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 12:12:19 AM »
"My father!  My father!  The chariots and horsemen of Israel!"  I treasure and grieve the death of a man I deeply admired, a churchman, a man of Christ, a man of the cross. I echo the words of Jim and Donna and add these: Humble and yet unbowed, who enriched the rest of us theologically and collegially.  I only got to know him in the course of the Long Defeat in which he led the divided band of traditional Lutherans (WordAlone, evangelical catholics, confessional Lutherans...the whole fractured lot) that led finally, in painful grief and defiant hope, to the formation of the NALC.  He shepherded Solid Rock, Lutheran CORE, and then the NALC.  I am a better Christian, Lutheran, and pastor because of him--and in that, I am not alone.  He loved Christ and His Church, and left his mark on the NALC particularly in his insistence on the importance of having an ecumenical vision and a churchly gravitas.  It seems a hard and long time to wait to see you in the Resurrection my friend, my Bishop.     

Gary Hatcher

• Я православный
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 07:41:45 AM »
I am saddened by the loss of a brother in Christ whose kindness and love Christ shown in all he did. I am honored to have known and worked with Bishop Spring. May the Holy Angels greet him and rest eternal be granted. Христос воскресе!  Воистину Воскрес!
Gary Hatcher STS,
Pastor St. Paul & First Lutheran Churches
Garnavillo & McGregor, IA

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 10:48:32 PM »
I just learned that Rev. Jeff Walther, pastor of St. Matthew's Lutheran Church of Esko MN, passed away earlier today.  He had been in the hospital for several weeks due to COVID-19, I believe.  Jeff was a dorm mate of mine at Concordia Theological Seminary and a wonderful man who loved to proclaim the Gospel. 

James

• Guard Personal Information! Doxxing trolls present
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 11:55:52 PM »
I just learned that Rev. Jeff Walther, pastor of St. Matthew's Lutheran Church of Esko MN, passed away earlier today.  He had been in the hospital for several weeks due to COVID-19, I believe.  Jeff was a dorm mate of mine at Concordia Theological Seminary and a wonderful man who loved to proclaim the Gospel. 
Thank you Rev Bohler for sharing this ... any idea if Rev Walther was of the house and lineage of C. F. W.?

While currently on the homepage of St. Matthew's Lutheran Church of Esko MN, the Christian witness of the Walther family is included for the legacy readers benefit in the months and years to follow ....

One last update on Pastor Jeff from Christina, Hannah and Alex

From Christina:  “Jeff is no longer suffering. He is at home with the Lord. I know that God was working through Jeff during his illness. Look at how many people have been praying and growing close to each other and God during the past month. This is what our world needs! Our prayers have not been for nothing. God has a plan and Jeff is a part of it. I already miss Jeff’s laugh, his goofiness and his joy for life. Things will be different that is for sure. I am extremely sad and the tears are flowing! I will always love him and I guess our next adventure will be in heaven. As always, God’s got this!”

From Hannah: “Today, Dad went to be with the Lord. We surrounded dad with love, songs and prayers as he passed away peacefully. Dad will have no more suffering – no more fear. Today, it feels like a loss, but we know it’s not. Dad wins. God wins. As I try to wrap my brain around this new normal, I am reminding myself that it is indeed not the end; it may be the end for his earthly life, but dad is in the best place he’s ever been – the place he’s been preaching about and talking about his entire life – Heaven. I won’t stop praying and I won’t stop believing. I can’t wait to see you again, Daddy. I love you.”

From Alex:  “I love you Dad. You have taught me so many things throughout my life. Never once did I expect to say see ya later this early on in life. However, I will certainly see you later, some day. I will keep praying about you and text you every day. Your passion for nature and the outdoors, camping, fishing, and hiking in national parks will forever be in my heart. I will cherish every moment we spent together as they are all already replaying in my mind. You have given so much to everyone else and cared so much for others before yourself. Now you get to enjoy your stay in Heaven’s National Park. I miss and love you Dad. Rest in Peace.”
If necessary, there will be a peaceful transfer of power on Jan 20, 2021.

In the event election fraud is proven in the courts of our country, there will be an inauguration ceremony ... no transfer of power necessary.

Weedon

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 12:18:08 PM »
Dear Steve, sorry for your loss and for the loss to his family and congregation.

I see them shine forever,
Resplendent as the sun,
In light diminished never,
Their glorious freedom won.
William Weedon, Assistant Pastor
St. Paul Lutheran Church, Hamel IL
Catechist on LPR Podcast: The Word of the Lord Endures Forever
A Daily, Verse-by-Verse Bible Study with the Church, Past and Present
www.thewordendures.org

+Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 12:25:35 PM »

Pr. Walther was a classmate of mine from Concordia-St. Paul and CTS-FW. I was surprised when I read it on FB yesterday.  Prayers for the comfort of his family and parish.  May the Lord strengthen them in this time of need. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI