Author Topic: Judge Amy Barrett Confirmation Hearings  (Read 22834 times)

David Garner

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
Re: Judge Amy Barrett Confirmation Hearings
« Reply #255 on: October 27, 2020, 10:14:42 AM »
Of course during most of his years on the court, he’s hardly said anything or led on any major opinions.

This is laughably false.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

David Garner

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 27, 2020, 10:28:09 AM »
Just one example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Bajakajian

"As of 2014, there have been 150 federal circuit court decisions that relied on Bajakajian to conduct an excessiveness test, but only 4 of them have found excessive forfeiture. One commentator argues that this is due to lower courts applying the Bajakajian framework too rigidly.[8]

Bajakajian's application is being extended beyond forfeiture. In Duckworth v. United States (2011), the D.C. Circuit applied Bajakajian to the Magnuson–Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, upholding fines imposed by NOAA.[9] In United States v. Lessner (2007), the Third Circuit applied it to the Mandatory Victims Restitution Act, which established procedures to determine restitution for victims, and upheld a $938,965.59 restitution order.[10] in United States v. Stebbins (2005), the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces upheld a $75,000 fine to punish a soldier found guilty of raping a minor.[11]"

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 27, 2020, 11:17:42 AM »
Memories are long. There is a reason that there have been two movies (I think) about the whole thing, mostly from Anita Hill's side. Anita Hill comes up frequently in women's marches and what-not. The furor may have died done, but the fundamental division didn't go away.

Randy Bosch

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 27, 2020, 11:32:09 AM »
Memories are long. There is a reason that there have been two movies (I think) about the whole thing, mostly from Anita Hill's side. Anita Hill comes up frequently in women's marches and what-not. The furor may have died done, but the fundamental division didn't go away.

Few will ever forget the manner in which then-Senator Joe Biden conducted the Thomas confirmation hearings, his abrasive questioning and handling of both Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill, his sly inside conversations with then-Senator Ted Kennedy, etc.  Took "Borking" to a new high with their "High Tech Lynching" that set the benchmark for the more recent Kavanaugh hearings and their willing followers.  This is America.  Lord have mercy.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #259 on: October 27, 2020, 11:50:54 AM »
Randy Bosch, I'm trying to say the hearings and confirmation process are over and we should get on with things. But you and others get your kicks slobbering over stuff that happened in a confirmation hearing several decades ago.
News flash. that's over. Thomas has been on the court for decades.
News flash. There is no more Seminex.
News flash.  A certain LC-MS disciplinary process connected with 9/11 is over. 
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Randy Bosch

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 27, 2020, 12:00:45 PM »
Randy Bosch, I'm trying to say the hearings and confirmation process are over and we should get on with things. But you and others get your kicks slobbering over stuff that happened in a confirmation hearing several decades ago.

No slobbering or kicks at this end of the electrizicals, sir.  Just informing you that your closure order is nice, but unlikely - on your side of politics.
Seminex?  I don't recall ever commenting on Seminex, but my memory may have lapsed a bit, like that of many politicians today.
LCMS and 9-11? Ditto.  By the way, the proper usage is LCMS, not LC-MS.  Your passive aggressive attempt at a slight is sad.

By the way, Clarence Thomas administering the oath to Amy Barrett was perhaps the first time a black man has administered the oath to a Supreme Court Justice, and to a white woman yet.  Diversity and equality abound.

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 27, 2020, 12:19:50 PM »

A decisive majority of those polled at the time disbelieved Anita Hill.  It’s therefore odd that anyone today unquestioningly embraces her account.

My own skepticism is heightened by the experiences of a couple female friends who clerked for Justice Thomas shortly after he joined the Court. They find the Anita Hill accusations impossible to believe given their extensive experiences with Justice Thomas.

Truthfulness aside, Professor Hill’s allegations today seem quaintly innocuous. The Clinton/Lewinsky case has changed what is required to constitute a scandal.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #262 on: October 27, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
Mr. Gale:
My own skepticism is heightened by the experiences of a couple female friends who clerked for Justice Thomas shortly after he joined the Court. They find the Anita Hill accusations impossible to believe given their extensive experiences with Justice Thomas.
Me:
“shortly after he joined the Court.”
Amendment of life? I’ve heard it happens.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Randy Bosch

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 27, 2020, 12:41:03 PM »
Mr. Gale:
Me:
“shortly after he joined the Court.”
Amendment of life? I’ve heard it happens.

Helpful hint to a former English Major: Diagramming the two short sentences in Mr. Gale's post might help your comprehension of the post.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #264 on: October 27, 2020, 01:11:47 PM »
What am I missing? Ms. Hill’s accusations concerned actions before he was on the Supreme Court.

RPG

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Don't feed the trolls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 27, 2020, 01:52:13 PM »
Don't feed trolls. You'll thank yourself later.
The Rev. Ryan P. Gage
Eureka, SD

Randy Bosch

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 27, 2020, 02:47:45 PM »

And thanks for the reminder!

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 27, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »

No slobbering or kicks at this end of the electrizicals, sir.  Just informing you that your closure order is nice, but unlikely - on your side of politics.

Seminex?  I don't recall ever commenting on Seminex, but my memory may have lapsed a bit, like that of many politicians today.

LCMS and 9-11? Ditto.  By the way, the proper I usage is LCMS, not LC-MS.  Your passive aggressive attempt at a slight is sad.

By the way, Clarence Thomas administering the oath to Amy Barrett was perhaps the first time a black man has administered the oath to a Supreme Court Justice, and to a white woman yet.  Diversity and equality abound.

Reverend Austin’s obsession with the LCMS (thank you for correcting his disrespectful reference ... others have attempted to correct him as well) is well known.

The last three times Yankee Stadium has been referenced are spiteful references by Reverend Austin. Perhaps in other ailments, he is afflicted with LCMS Derangement Syndrome.
Thanks for the reminder ... but correcting lies is necessary and not feeding trolls.

David Garner

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 27, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »

The same can be said of Judge Bork.  One reason I get a bit of a chuckle from all the handwringing about "stolen seats" and all that from Democrats.

I mean, consider the Court from 1987 to 2012 with Bork instead of Kennedy on the bench.

James J Eivan

« Reply #269 on: October 27, 2020, 03:49:02 PM »
Thanks for the reminder ... but correcting lies is necessary and not feeding trolls.
Correct .. Lies must be exposed to expose, discredit and stop the liars.

The latest President Trump Rallies have begun playing actual clips of the Biden/Harris comments concerning the fracking ban, the truth on court packing, and now in Lansing clips of Biden’s declining mental capacity ... regrettably demonstrating the elder abuse of the democrat party.  If a picture is worth a thousand words, imagine how many words these videos are worth.

Right Side Broadcasting Network streams these well attended rallies/peaceful protests live and on demand.  See the partisan lies from this forum debunked by actual video clips.