Author Topic: Judge Amy Barrett Confirmation Hearings  (Read 27343 times)

JEdwards

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Judge Amy Barrett Confirmation Hearings
« Reply #210 on: October 17, 2020, 05:30:09 PM »
I, too, will use this video in my own church to talk about the downfall of Christianity's "white savior complex," which your words also illustrate

Perhaps at yet another church, during a bible study on the Pharisee and the publican, someone will show a video of Pastor Kolway showing this video .
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 05:31:50 PM by JEdwards »

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2020, 05:41:52 PM »
Pastor Fienen persists:
Perhaps not you, but that seems to be opinion of Kolway, although you seem to feel that anyone who is not completely against Trump is morally, intellectually, and spiritually deficient.
I comment:
All I (or you) know about the opinion of the writer is in what she wrote. You keep referring to what you say I 'seem to feel" even after I have told you a dozen times I do not feel that way. Please stop.

Pastor Fienen goes on:
A "basket of deplorables" a prominent Democrat call us as I recall.
I comment:
An unfortunate and wrong comment from four years ago. Let it go.

Pastor Fienen:
Do you support Kolway's position that unless one adopts the attitudes characteristic of those on the progressive side of things she is unfit to adopt children from Haiti?
Me:
I do not.

Pastor Fienen:
If not why bring it up?
Me:
I just thought it was another "take" on the nomination. And an interesting thing to read.

Pastor Fienen:
Do you assert, like Kolway, that because of what she said about the children that she and her husband adopted that she is unfit to be their mother, much less as SCOTUS Justice?
Me:
I do not. Just because I offer an item for discussion doesn't mean I agree with everything in it. You leap too quickly to your conclusions, apparently driven by what you think are attacks on your very being.

Pastor Fienen:
If not what is the point.
Me:
See above.

Pastor Fienen:
It just reinforces the contempt that we perceive from you and other progressives for those of us not as enlightened as you. And I think what is perhaps more insulting, you expect us not to perceive the contempt in Kolway's op-ed piece for those who think differently than she.
Me:
O for heavens' sake! If I said "Good morning, Pastor Fienen, looks like rain and cold today, doesn't it?", you - driven by I don't know what kind of force - would "perceive" contempt. And no - repeat no - I do not "expect" you "not to perceive the contempt in Kolway's op-ed piece," not because I believe there is contempt in it but because - listen carefully - I don't expect you to perceive, think, feel or intuit anything about it. Whatever you feel or in whatever way the commentary troubles your waters is up to you, it is not on me.
Sigh. And again. Sigh.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 05:43:50 PM by Charles Austin »
Retired ELCA Pastor. You can say liberal Christians are wrong. You can say that you disagree with our interpretation of faith. But when you say we are driven by “culture” or “trendiness,” you prove that you do not listen to us. Luther fared better with Rome.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 17, 2020, 06:11:24 PM »

This author has an idea of what being a parent of a child of color should look like. Judge Barrett doesn't fit her mold, therefore, she is a horrible parent to these children. Well, as a parent of children of color*, I think the author of this "open letter" is wrong.

*See, I can use that argument too.

This is what the forum should be: a place where people can discuss different opinions without attacking one another. It also allows people with different experiences to share from those experiences. I cannot speak about adopting children, I haven't done that. I can't speak about raising a child of color, I haven't done that. You can, and did it well.

Note, I've also said what Charles wrote; not everything we post is what we believe. Sometimes we share thoughts from others for discussion purposes. Sometimes we even share opposing views so that we can better offer rebuttals to their positions.

I thought Judge Barrett conducted herself very well under the inquisition (what little I saw of it). I can't say that she would vote the way I would like on every issue; but that's true about all of the justices. As some have made clear to me, I'm not a lawyer and my understanding of the law is sometimes faulty. So, we leave it to the experts.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:22:07 PM by Brian Stoffregen »
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2020, 06:14:06 PM »

This author has an idea of what being a parent of a child of color should look like. Judge Barrett doesn't fit her mold, therefore, she is a horrible parent to these children. Well, as a parent of children of color*, I think the author of this "open letter" is wrong.

*See, I can use that argument too.

This is what the forum should be: a place where people can discuss different opinions without attacking one another. It also allows people with different experiences to share from those experiences. I cannot speak about adopting children, I haven't done that. I can't speak about raising a child of color, I haven't done that. You can, and did it well.

Thank you for your kind words. I am humbled by them.
The truth we preach is not an abstract thing. The truth is a Person. The goodness we preach is not an ideal quality. The goodness is Someone who is good. The love we preach is God himself in Christ. --H. Grady Davis

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 17, 2020, 07:13:44 PM »
Lorna and I adopted two black children. We were told (by a tiny minority) that it would not be good for them to be separated from Afro-American culture. They and countless other Afro-American children grew up in the culture of the United States Army along with several mixes of ethnicity. They have turned out just fine and I now have a black grandson who is growing up in the middle of the Bronx culture. Nothing to be troubled about.

Finally, Afro-American citizens have every right to be Republican or even thorough going Trumpkins. That's the way it is in America.   ;D

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 17, 2020, 07:30:16 PM »
Please stop hyperventilating, Pastor Fienen. I’m not insisting that you agree with me or that mother or anybody else in the whole wide world. I’m not even sure I agree completely with her. I am just offering some pieces of information, another viewpoint. Don’t take everything as being such an assault on your delicate sensibilities.
Remember this, any time you are inclined to write “are we supposed to…”, My answer will be “no.”

This sounds just a little bit like Trump's explanation, "Oh, that was just a retweet. It's some information to think about. I don't know if it's my opinion."  :o
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #216 on: October 17, 2020, 07:43:00 PM »
ROTFLMAO
Good one, Esteemed Moderator.
Retired ELCA Pastor. You can say liberal Christians are wrong. You can say that you disagree with our interpretation of faith. But when you say we are driven by “culture” or “trendiness,” you prove that you do not listen to us. Luther fared better with Rome.

Robert Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 17, 2020, 08:03:54 PM »
Ben Sasse just used the word "catechesis" in his questioning of Barrett. I really hope he runs for president some day.
Now he just used the phrase "liturgical act." The man is just stud, plain and simple.
I, too, appreciate Senator Sasse’s intelligence, principle, and candor. What do you think of his unvarnished opinion of President Trump?

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/exclusive-gop-sen-sasse-says-trump-kisses-dictators-butts-mocks-evangelicals

I’ve listened to a couple of radio interviews with Ben Sasse.

He is extremely impressed with Ben Sasse.

Weedon

« Reply #218 on: October 17, 2020, 08:25:43 PM »
I have to confess that of the younger generation it is Dan Crenshaw who has impressed me.

mj4

« Reply #219 on: October 17, 2020, 09:02:16 PM »

GalRevRedux

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • The poster formerly known as GalRev83.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 19, 2020, 12:48:06 PM »
And a funny video from the Bee:

https://youtu.be/L_hVMwCcC1w

A pastor of the North American Lutheran Church.

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #221 on: October 22, 2020, 10:05:44 AM »
As someone who thought Merrick Garland should have gotten a vote (if not a confirmation, since I also believe both sides should play by the same rules, and obstruction is the rule), I also find it hard to disagree with a single word Mike Lee said this morning.  He laid out the case, true in all its details, about decades long Democratic obstruction of Supreme Court and lower court nominations. 

Confirm Barrett.  As he rightly said, not because she will do Republicans' legislative bidding, but precisely because she will not.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

James J Eivan

« Reply #222 on: October 22, 2020, 10:31:40 AM »
The childish and disruptive Democrats have boycotted the Senate Judiciary committee hearing today… Attempting to thwart the will of the majority. Judge Barrett’s nomination has been forwarded to the entire senate for consideration by a unanimous vote.

No doubt this will embolden voters to vote to reelect the president… Strongly rebuking the disruptive culture of the progressives.

It should be noted that Republicans have been the minority far longer than Democrats… Yet it is the Democrats who throw a temper tantrum and attempt to thwart the business of the Senate.

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 26, 2020, 09:43:03 AM »
The final vote is scheduled for later today after Democrat senators attempt to explain why the supported The Garland nomination in an election year in 2016 and reject the Barrett nomination this year.

The MSM is complicit in this farce as it fails to highlight the Democrat double standard of opposing Judge Barrett’s nomination while failing to acknowledge that numerous previous nominations have been handled on a similar expeditious manner.

Stay tuned for the swearing in ceremony.

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 26, 2020, 10:05:49 AM »
I won't watch.  It was a rush job.  My objection to her is her Originalism.  This theory of interpretation doesn't fit reality.  Also, I feel that she should recuse herself on any case related to the 2020 Election.  Bad news, indeed.
Norman Teigen