Author Topic: Judge Amy Barrett Confirmation Hearings  (Read 7947 times)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Judge Amy Barrett Confirmation Hearings
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 03:10:51 PM »
My wife and I would like to see Kamala Harris question the nominee.  No one is making the nominee's religion  a  qualification for office. Nice try, Pastor Fienen.
https://www.firstthings.com/web-exclusives/2020/10/kamala-harriss-record-of-anti-catholic-bigotry

From the article: In 2018, when Brian Buescher was nominated as a District Court judge, Harris put this written question to him:

Since 1993, you have been a member of the Knights of Columbus, an all-male society comprised primarily of Catholic men. In 2016, Carl Anderson, leader of the Knights of Columbus, described abortion as “a legal regime that has resulted in more than 40 million deaths.” Mr. Anderson went on to say that “abortion is the killing of the innocent on a massive scale.” Were you aware that the Knights of Columbus opposed a woman’s right to choose when you joined the organization?

I think that is the sort of thing we can expect.

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 03:12:58 PM »
Barrett should recuse herself.  Her qualifications for the position. are thin. The speeding confirmation express train should be red flagged and come to a stop.

Acknowledging I'm being fish hooked here, in what way are her qualifications "thin?"

Perhaps it's because, as I believe the female Republican senator from Tennessee noted during her opening remarks, she is the wrong type of woman . . . a conservative woman.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:17:02 PM by Buckeye Deaconess »

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 03:15:53 PM »
You overstate things again, Pastor Fienen.
Less than 10% of American Catholics believe that artificial contraception is morally wrong. That was reported in America, the magazine of the Jesuits.
Various polls suggest that as many as 40% or more of American Roman  Catholics disagree with the church’s teaching on abortion And a Pew Poll  showed that about 56% of the Roman Catholics believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases.
So the issue might be: who are the real Roman Catholics? And does it matter? Like Lutherans it seems that Roman Catholics do not take every detailed of their church teaching in the same way. I might personally bet that a large majority of the members of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod would favor open communion, and that a significant number of the parishes in the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod practice what would virtually be considered open communion.
Does that disqualify them from being real members of the Missouri Synod?
I don’t think it does, and neither does taking a pro-choice attitude towards abortion legislation disqualify somebody from being a “real Catholic.”
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 03:17:30 PM »
James that is interesting...same thing happened in reverse in February of 2016
Just heard Senator Harris reversed her position from 2016… Is that of concern to you? If not… Why not?

I've about given up looking for consistency, civility, and accountability from any politicians on either side.  Right now I'm watching with cynicism.  Speaking in broad generalities, here is the challenge as I see it.

Dems have a lot of great ideas but are light on how to pay for them.  I would be willing to pay more taxes for better schools, roads and health care etc.  I'm extremely bothered by the fact that the current tax conde is so "Unbalanced" that one can write off business losses to offset what you owe, and that the effective tax rate for those who live off of their dividends appears to be far less than those who are taxed on their income.

The Repubs are awfully light on details.  They cry Repeal and replace but after many years have not put anything on the table.  Putting actual details on the table would help immensely with what I see as an image problem.  They say they are for smaller govt, but evidence shows that not to be the case actually.  They cut taxes, but don't seem to acknowledge that doing so balloons the deficit and blame that on the democrats.  They claim to be pro life but then cut many of the same programs that help families in my communities put food on the table and access health care and education for their kids.  If you are going to repeal Roe V. Wade, what kind of support network will you put in place to help families or foster alternatives like adaption?  It's all well and good to say that faith communities can pick up the slack as Bush did, but we all know that isn't going to happen large scale because we don't have the resources.  I don't like abortion, and don't support it but it is IMO being used as a dog whistle and the single most important issue in too simple a way.

Trumps promise to cut the payroll tax means that we would all loose the social security we've paid into.  It would also mean the closing of most any nursing home I know because they rely on Medicaid and medicare for a significant portion of their funding.  How will we care for those folks?  They cannot be cared for in the homes of loved ones.  They are too fragile.

Longer answer than you wanted but these are my thoughts.  I don't like either candidate truthfully, but am dismayed in the extreme but what I see from republicans at the national level.

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2020, 03:25:46 PM »
I had the pleasure of teaching an online deaconess course today right as ACB was speaking.  Our topic happened to be medical ethics.  I commented to them about the stark contrast I witnessed from liberal senators who pulled out pictures and told heartbreaking stories of suffering individuals who are vulnerable from medical conditions while out of the other side of their mouths showing utter disregard for the vulnerable unborn by touting "choice."  Our class discussion was lively and promising.  Younger generations see through this hypocrisy, thank the Lord.

I was in sheer awe of ACB for sitting so long so stoically without condescending facial expressions and head shaking as seen elsewhere.  She is a role model to so many for all of her successful pursuits, most especially from what I could tell of her family sitting there in support of her, for her success as a mother.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2020, 03:33:38 PM »
Well, she's Roman Catholic. Everybody knows that Roman Catholics have beliefs that make them unfit for government a service. But wait, Biden is RC and proud of it. Maybe it's only if you actually take RC teachings seriously that it is disqualifying.

I think that for some people it is a matter of how strongly convicted they are of the tenets of their faith, and how vocal they are as well.  Judge Barrett has been very active in her faith and at times vocal about her convictions.  Biden, OTOH, is quieter about them.  He does not deny being a member of the RC church, but does not seem to go out of his way to support the tenets of that faith beyond the basic "Christian" principles. When it comes to the RC position on abortion he is silent.   

I think that some feel Barrett will be unable - or unwilling - to render legal opinions and judgements based purely on the rule of law, in this case, the principles of the constitution.  I think they are also fearful that she will be a kind of political puppet of Trump, an anti-Roe v. Wade agent sent to sink the abortion ship.

It seems that the less open you are about your faith and the particular beliefs of your church the better you are when it comes to confirmation hearings.
(Emphasis added)
The bolded paragraph really bugs me. Does anyone question whether liberal judges will tender opinions based more on their ideological commitments than on the Constitution or the text of the law? Historically, liberal judges have done a better job of rendering opinions as a bloc than have conservative judges. Or is it that liberals should rule according to their ideology but conservatives should not? So far with his first two judges, I don't think that Trump did a very good job of appointing judicial puppets.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2020, 03:34:58 PM »
Less than 10% of American Catholics believe that artificial contraception is morally wrong. That was reported in America, the magazine of the Jesuits.
Various polls suggest that as many as 40% or more of American Roman  Catholics disagree with the church’s teaching on abortion And a Pew Poll  showed that about 56% of the Roman Catholics believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases.
So the issue might be: who are the real Roman Catholics? And does it matter? Like Lutherans it seems that Roman Catholics do not take every detailed of their church teaching in the same way. I might personally bet that a large majority of the members of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod would favor open communion, and that a significant number of the parishes in the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod practice what would virtually be considered open communion.
I don’t think it does, and neither does taking a pro-choice attitude towards abortion legislation disqualify somebody from being a “real Catholic.”
So, I take that you think that it should be acceptable for her to be Roman Catholic so long as she does not follow the official teachings of that church?
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

DeHall1

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2020, 03:40:43 PM »

Qui abortum procurat, effectu secuto, in excommunicationem, latae sententiae, incurrat.

Canon Law states otherwise.

As does the United States Catholic Bishops, who have stated quite clearly that one cannot be Catholic and even support the general concept of abortion:
"No Catholic can responsibly take a 'pro-choice' stand when the 'choice' involves the taking of innocent human life."[National Council of Catholic Bishops, Fall 1989 conference resolution of November 8, 1989.]

DeHall1

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2020, 03:45:05 PM »
My wife and I would like to see Kamala Harris question the nominee.  No one is making the nominee's religion  a  qualification for office. Nice try, Pastor Fienen.

My wife and I would like to see you answer my question about Judge Barrett's "thin" qualifications, and how someone with "thin" qualifications receives a "well qualified" rating from the ABA.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2020, 03:49:31 PM »

My wife and I would like to see you answer my question about Judge Barrett's "thin" qualifications, and how someone with "thin" qualifications receives a "well qualified" rating from the ABA.

You had better be careful, or Moderator Johnson will accuse you of trying to "manage" the forum!

Fcdwyn

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2020, 04:05:43 PM »

Trump's promise to cut the payroll tax means that we would all lose the social security we've paid into.  It would also mean the closing of most any nursing home I know because they rely on Medicaid and medicare for a significant portion of their funding.  How will we care for those folks?  They cannot be cared for in the homes of loved ones.  They are too fragile.

Social Security and Medicare benefits are paid out of the general fund and would continue to be whether payroll taxes are cut or not. 

James

• Guard Personal Information! Doxxing trolls present
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2020, 04:11:05 PM »
Mr. Teigen: As you well know, CA Senator Dianne Feinstein (a Jew) made a big issue of judge Barrett’s religious background when she was confirmed for her current position… So yes Norman people have made a big deal about religion… Sticking your head in the sand does not negate that fact!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:21:30 PM by James »
If necessary, there will be a peaceful transfer of power on Jan 20, 2021.

In the event election fraud is proven in the courts of our country, there will be an inauguration ceremony ... no transfer of power necessary.

James

• Guard Personal Information! Doxxing trolls present
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2020, 04:29:08 PM »
Qui abortum procurat, effectu secuto, in excommunicationem, latae sententiae, incurrat.

Canon Law states otherwise.

As does the United States Catholic Bishops, who have stated quite clearly that one cannot be Catholic and even support the general concept of abortion:
"No Catholic can responsibly take a 'pro-choice' stand when the 'choice' involves the taking of innocent human life."[National Council of Catholic Bishops, Fall 1989 conference resolution of November 8, 1989.]
Mr Biden has been refused Holy Communion (in South Carolina I believe) in the past ... there has been discussion whether the same should be done in relation to Speaker Pelosi ... though nothing may have been done.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:31:55 PM by James »
If necessary, there will be a peaceful transfer of power on Jan 20, 2021.

In the event election fraud is proven in the courts of our country, there will be an inauguration ceremony ... no transfer of power necessary.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2020, 04:34:41 PM »
No, Pastor Fienen, I am saying that it’s OK for her to be a Roman Catholic even if she is not in lock-step with every single detail of church teachings. I doubt that there are very many “canon law Catholics.” That is, people who know and accept every point of canon law.
As noted upstream, there are quite a large number of Missouri Synod Lutherans who don’t accept every declaration from your CtCR or every resolution passed at one of your conventions.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.

John Koke

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2020, 04:35:13 PM »

++