Author Topic: Judge Amy Barrett Confirmation Hearings  (Read 38995 times)

James J Eivan

Re: Judge Amy Barrett Confirmation Hearings
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2020, 05:27:26 PM »
https://hotair.com/archives/allahpundit/2020/10/14/merriam-webster-alters-definition-sexual-preference-say-offensive-hirono-attacked-barrett-using/

Interesting. Politicians, including Joe Biden have used the phrase "sexual preference" in speeches this year. Yesterday two senators berated Barrett for using the "outdated and offensive" term, and just today the good people at merriam-webster frantically updated their dictionary to agree with progressive talking points. 
One wonders if this fact will be reported on the evening national news and given fair and equal coverage along with the judge’s statement.

Sadly some forum members would take issue with calling this deliberately biased coverage a half truth.🤐😷

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2020, 05:51:44 PM »
Personally I don’t are what Pr. Austin or anyone else here thinks about the intelligence of ACB or what it means the she testified without notes. I have no doubt that in his reporter days he often observed lawyers in court. That she is testifying without notes probably says more about her memory than intelligence.

In any case getting snippy at each other here does nothing to advance the discussion. Nor does snarking about what her not using notes says about her. She doesn't need to be intelligent "beyond belief" to be a good nominee. So far she has impressed me with her calm approach, her command of the pertinent material, and. Her credentials.

Meanwhile the Democrats are taking this as an opportunity to make speeches about how much better they would govern if they were in charge and not the incompetent Trump and Republicans and trying to get ACB to prejudice potential cases, either painting her as Trump's  puppet or committed to social justice Democratic style. Either way their minds are made up. They knew before she was nominated they wouldn't vote for her.

And the Republicans are using this as an opportunity to make speeches about how good they and Trump are governing and showing off their nominee.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2020, 06:18:04 PM »
I said “she seems nice.” I say it again.
Julio, please stop being foolish.

She's "nice"?  That strikes me as at least vaguely sexist.  It reminds me of the middle-school kid who says that a female classmate has a great personality.  Being nice and having a great personality are fine attributes, I suppose.  But in context, these statements are the epitome of damning with faint praise.  Beyond that, I've learned from my substantial time living and visiting there, "nice" in Minnesota generally means an outward friendliness coupled with passive-aggressive nastiness.  Are the local MSP practices overtaking you? 

Beyond that, you bizarrely wrote that "there are lots of people as intelligent or more intelligent" than ACB.  None of us has sufficient IQ-test data to fully assess your opinion.  But it certainly seems to me as though you are just making stuff up here.  We do have evidence of Judge Barrett's intelligence.  I won't go through all of it.  But you might want to read this opinion piece (link) by Noah Feldman, a Harvard Law professor who testified in support of impeaching President Trump.  He, in fact, is the kind of lawyer that a Democratic president could conceivably appoint to the bench.

Mr. Feldman wrote glowingly about Judge Barrett.  Some excerpts:

"I got to know Barrett more than 20 years ago when we clerked at the Supreme Court . . . .  Of the thirty-some clerks that year, al of whom had graduated at the top of their law school classes and done prestigious appellate clerkships before coming to work at the court, Barrett stood out. . . .  he was one of the two strongest lawyers.  The other was Jenny Martinez, now dean of the Stanford Law School."

. . . . .

"To add to her merits, Barrett is a sincere, lovely person.  I never heard her utter a word that wasn't thoughtful and kind--including in the heat of real disagreement about important subjects.  She will be an ideal colleague."

I'd encourage you to read the whole thing.  In the meantime, you might want to reconsider your dismissive characterization of Judge Barrett as "nice."  And if you have evidence that she's not as bright as others you know, I'd love to see it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 06:22:22 PM by James_Gale »

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2020, 06:19:07 PM »
https://hotair.com/archives/allahpundit/2020/10/14/merriam-webster-alters-definition-sexual-preference-say-offensive-hirono-attacked-barrett-using/

Interesting. Politicians, including Joe Biden have used the phrase "sexual preference" in speeches this year. Yesterday two senators berated Barrett for using the "outdated and offensive" term, and just today the good people at merriam-webster frantically updated their dictionary to agree with progressive talking points.

It's an absurd complaint, no question.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2020, 08:10:03 PM »
A seemingly civil dialogue begins to take place ... forum members from opposite ends of the spectrum seemingly making positive statements concerning Judge Barrett as follows ...

Judge Barrett seems nice.
In addition, she is intelligent beyond belief ... thus far her testimony before the senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday and now Wednesday have been without notes.  Citing cases and opinions without notes is astounding.

But sadly the bipartisan cooperative spirit came to a screeching halt with partisan response ...

Julio writes:
In addition, she is intelligent beyond belief...
I comment:
No, not "beyond belief." I think there are lots of people as intelligent or more intelligent than she is. I think I - and some others here - may know some.

Julio:
 ... thus far her testimony before the senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday and now Wednesday have been without notes.  Citing cases and opinions without notes is astounding.
Me:
Ever been in a courtroom? It's not astounding at all. Lawyers trying cases have either used the opinions so often it is as familiar to them as John 3:16 is to some here or they have memorized them as they rehearse their questions and closing arguments.
Judges seeking confirmation and knowing what questions are likely to come can certainly bone up on and memorize the cases and opinions they can rattle off as they answer questions. That blank sheet of paper? Maybe she planned to take notes; or maybe it was a prop to hold up at the appropriate time. Or maybe not.
Multiple senators commented in amazement on the fact that the judge had no notes and made no notes. Regardless of the above negativity, the Judge is a bright star 🌟 in the country’s future.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Colorin
« Reply #126 on: October 14, 2020, 08:19:03 PM »
I’ll say it again with some embellishment hoping that it will calm things down here and maybe prevent people from overreacting and desiring to read stupid things into my comments.
She seems nice. She seems very intelligent. I might worry a bit about how she uses all that intelligence. But I have no control over that.
Does that help?
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, New York and New Jersey. LCA/LWF staff. Former journalist  Writer for many church publications.

RogerMartim

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Vede que grande amor nos tem concedido o Pai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2020, 08:33:52 PM »
LGBT folks are offended by the use of the word "preference." It says that an LGBT "prefers" to relate to someone of their own gender. It isn't something like leaning one way or the other. It is a fact that there is no either/or. So, did most of you folks make it a "preference" that you live your life as a straight person? When Senator Hirono brought it up with Justice Barrett, she apologized for using the word incorrectly and did not mean to offend LGBT people.

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2020, 08:42:45 PM »
LGBT folks are offended by the use of the word "preference."

On Sept. 25, 2020 (less than one month ago) The Advocate approvingly tweeted a quote by gay rights advocate Kenny Ortega that used the term "sexual preference."  https://twitter.com/AGHamilton29/status/1316240565533638659/photo/1

Why was it OK three weeks ago but offensive yesterday?

When Senator Hirono brought it up with Justice Barrett, she apologized for using the word incorrectly and did not mean to offend LGBT people.

What else was she supposed to do? No matter how silly the charge, she was stuck apologizing. She simply had no choice.
"Pastor Butler... [is] deaf to the cries of people like me, dismissing our concerns as Satanic scenarios, denouncing our faith and our very existence."--Charles Austin

James J Eivan

« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2020, 08:49:26 PM »
LGBT folks are offended by the use of the word "preference." It says that an LGBT "prefers" to relate to someone of their own gender. It isn't something like leaning one way or the other. It is a fact that there is no either/or. So, did most of you folks make it a "preference" that you live your life as a straight person? When Senator Hirono brought it up with Justice Barrett, she apologized for using the word incorrectly and did not mean to offend LGBT people.
Mr Martin ... For many, the issue is that it was Judge Barrett’s use of the word on Tuesday that made news ... not Mr Biden’s past use.   Why has Mr Biden’s erroneous multiple use of the term been ignored previously, but Judge Barrett’s use is pounced on?

It’s like the liberal/progressives mis use is tolerated while the conservative/traditionalist use is ostracized.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2020, 09:10:12 PM »

So, are you saying that a lesbian (for example) COULD NOT have sexual relations with a man?  Of course she could.  But she PREFERS, or chooses, to have female partners.  The phrase "sexual preference", then, is perfectly acceptable and true.

By the way, when was it decided (and how) that LGBT folks are officially offended by the use of the word preference?  If I told you that some are not offended, does that make them not LGBT anymore?  And are you going on the offensive against Candidate Biden or the late RBG for their use of the phrase? https://danfromsquirrelhill.wordpress.com/2020/10/14/sexual-preference/

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2020, 09:12:21 PM »
I said “she seems nice.” I say it again.
Julio, please stop being foolish.

She's "nice"?  That strikes me as at least vaguely sexist...

In the meantime, you might want to reconsider your dismissive characterization of Judge Barrett as "nice."...

Vaguely? More like blatantly sexist. And condescending. But I guess that might be redundant.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2020, 09:15:29 PM »
Many gay men and lesbians have biological children of their own. They have sex with members of the opposite sex quite commonly; many have even been married to members of the opposite sex. People are CAPABLE of having sex with anyone, but PREFER to have sex according to how they understand their sexual orientation. Thus, sexual preference is a perfectly adequate way of describing sexual orientation.

The people who dominate others by threatening to feel offended are simply trying to force everyone to think in their categories.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Colorin
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2020, 09:24:44 PM »
Jebutler:
Why was it OK three weeks ago but offensive yesterday?

Me:
Because understanding changes and uses of words Change. Sometimes they change faster than at other times. There are lots of words which, Not too long ago, were inoffensive. But now they are.
And by the way, there’s no law that says you can’t use these  anyway you want to use them. You just have to consider how they will be heard. Or you don’t have to consider how they will be heard. It’s your call.
Personally, I would not go to the barricades on either side of the “sexual preference” dust-up. I’ll use whatever words I think will make me best understood by the largest numbers of people. There are bigger issues.
If your personal ideology, your sense of morality or your faith would collapse in a pile of rubble if you could not use the term “sexual preference,” then keep using those words. And then worry a little about the strength of your sense of morality or your faith.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, New York and New Jersey. LCA/LWF staff. Former journalist  Writer for many church publications.

JEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2020, 09:34:42 PM »
Senator Harris referred to “man-made” climate change.  I thought it has been established for at least the last 3 weeks that it is offensive to use masculine terms to represent all persons in general. Or did Senator Harris intend to suggest that men are more culpable than women for climate change? ::)