Author Topic: Personal role models apart from political positions  (Read 682 times)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Personal role models apart from political positions
« on: October 08, 2020, 09:35:00 AM »
One of the best ways to work toward understanding in divisive times is to consider people you find admirable but with whom you disagree on policy/politics/religion. Or if you don't find them wholly admirable in every sense, you consider them high character, quality people that you wouldn't mind your children modelling themselves after.

It is easy to find role models with whom you agree politically, and easy to find the flaws in the people with whom you disagree. For example, I have four daughters. I would hold up Amy Barrett as a role model to any of them, but not Kamala Harris. On the other hand, I would not encourage anyone to emulate President Trump, but have always respected Jimmy Carter as a person of integrity despite not caring for his politics (in retrospect-- I was too young to care about his politics when he was president). But it is far easier for me to think of examples like Barrett/Harris, in which my view of the person matches my view of their policy positions, and far harder to find examples like the latter, in which they are mismatched.

This thread is devoted to identifying people the poster opposes on matters of politics/religion/worldview/policy but who the post would say are high character, admirable, or otherwise worthy of being a role model to children.

John_Hannah

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Personal role models apart from political positions
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 09:54:38 AM »
Among high level folks I include both of the Bush families, Justices Scalia and Ginsburg, the Bidens and the Obama family.   ;D

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Mike Gehlhausen

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Personal role models apart from political positions
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 09:58:32 AM »
I would point to Elena Kagan.  She has a good sense of humor, and she has worked well and with integrity.   I will admit that I do base this on Justice Scalia's high regard for her.