Author Topic: Christianity and Zombie Ants by Piotr Malysz.  (Read 470 times)

John_Hannah

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Christianity and Zombie Ants by Piotr Malysz.
« on: September 29, 2020, 09:44:59 AM »
There's an excellent new commentary on today's turbulent and trying times. Christianity and Zombie Ants by Piotr Malysz. Go to Selected Re-prints.

https://www.lutheranforum.com/blog/christianity-and-zombie-ants
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

James J Eivan

Re: Christianity and Zombie Ants by Piotr Malysz.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 11:22:12 AM »
There's an excellent new commentary on today's turbulent and trying times. Christianity and Zombie Ants by Piotr Malysz. Go to Selected Re-prints.

Perhaps discussion of the following

Quote from: Lutheran Forum “Christianity and Zombie Ants”
The push, on the part of the Republican senate majority led by Mitch McConnell, to have the president’s Supreme Court nominee confirmed and installed before the end of President Trump’s first term and the beginning of new Congress does away with even a shred of appearance. When, in this light, one considers the Republican protestations in the last year of President Obama’s tenure against Obama’s own nominee, it is all a fine specimen of what in Poland is called “primitive” morality: “I steal a cow: good! A cow stolen from me: bad!” Such apparently are the times. What matters is only self-preservation that need not bother any more covering its shameless immodesty with any appearance. It is all about power, unclothed and in your face.

should either be considered already accomplished .. or be on a dedication thread.  It is obvious that the above is clearly one sided written from the progressive democratic point of view ... completely ignoring historical precedents.

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 11:35:47 AM »

Look forward to receiving our copy.

Time to urge everyone who posts here to subscribe to Lutheran Forum.  The Journal offers Lutherans who speak as Evangelic Catholics an opportunity to address issues that confront all members of the one Holy Catholic Church.   

Marie Meyer

Fcdwyn

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 11:43:27 AM »

The push, on the part of the Republican senate majority led by Mitch McConnell, to have the president’s Supreme Court nominee confirmed and installed before the end of President Trump’s first term and the beginning of new Congress does away with even a shred of appearance. When, in this light, one considers the Republican protestations in the last year of President Obama’s tenure against Obama’s own nominee, it is all a fine specimen of what in Poland is called “primitive” morality: “I steal a cow: good! A cow stolen from me: bad!” Such apparently are the times. What matters is only self-preservation that need not bother any more covering its shameless immodesty with any appearance. It is all about power, unclothed and in your face.

should either be considered already accomplished .. or be on a dedication thread.  It is obvious that the above is clearly one sided written from the progressive democratic point of view ... completely ignoring historical precedents.

Would not be interested in the least to read this commentary thanks to this quote. What is so wrong with using the power that the constitution and Senate tradition allow.  As Obama said: "Elections have consequences."

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 11:46:19 AM »

Look forward to receiving our copy.

Time to urge everyone who posts here to subscribe to Lutheran Forum.  The Journal offers Lutherans who speak as Evangelic Catholics an opportunity to address issues that confront all members of the one Holy Catholic Church.   

Marie Meyer

Thanks, Marie. You are right on; we all should subscribe to Lutheran Forum. Subscription includes the monthly newsletter (Forum Letter)from our two moderators here.

I don't know if the "Zombie" essay will appear in the print edition but it is available on line at ,https://www.lutheranforum.com/blog/christianity-and-zombie-ants>.   :)

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Mark Brown

• Pastor, St. Mark Lutheran, West Henrietta, NY
    • View Profile
    • Saint Mark's Website
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 12:20:37 PM »
I think this past weekend's Gospel reading extended (for those on the 3 year) to include the parable of the two sons would have something contrary to say to this.  The question is one of proper authority.  Those who are wearing the dress of proper authority - the priests - are asking Jesus, the Nazarene bumpkin, where he gets his.  They don't really question it, because it is obvious.  But they wonder at its source and their relation to it.  Since they won't give Jesus a straight answer, He feels no compulsion to give them one or to respect their outward authority.  But he does give them an answer in parable form.

Roughly following Gibbs, the parable has two sons, both are partly obedient to the Father.  The first tells dad off, but then goes and works.  He respects the authority of the Kingdom in his repentance and life.  The second tells dad sure, acknowledging the authority of the Kingdom, but then doesn't go and work that day.  This son is in a precarious position in that we don't know when our life is required of us, but he too is one that it is possible walks "in the way of righteousness".  Neither son truly questions to the authority of the Kingdom if they occasionally trespass. Jesus, whose authority is unquestioned, can work with either of these.  The tax collectors and the prostitutes are all entering the Kingdom.

What he cannot work with is those dressed up in authority who both reject the Kingdom's authority and fail to repent.  If the two sons are (no, yes) and (yes, no), the priests are (no, no). They rejected the Baptist - the fiery prophet - and they rejected Jesus - the one who came eating and drinking.  They recognize he has authority, but they reject it over them.  They consider their own its equal or superior.  And Jesus - the son of the Kingdom - owes them no answer.

There are lots of caveats.  We are not Jesus.  Having the wisdom to discern the no-no's from the others is tough.  That is ultimately not our job in the Kingdom of the Gospel.  But it is our job in the Kingdom of the Law.  Outlawing abortion would be a complete good.  Just like outlawing slavery was.  And people of principle and decency do not owe to those who are dressed up in the clothes of authority but do not respect its source an answer.  Denying the chance, working within the system as created - it is completely constitutional for the President to appoint and the senate to confirm or ignore - of furthering a complete good would be evil itself.  Arguing civility to maintain barbarity is an evil.  And given that the officials (Catholic Biden for example) complaining have rejected both the more fiery prophetic words and the humble petitioning of say the march for life, those doing the work of the Kingdom owe no answer.

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 04:50:50 PM »

There are certain things I would accuse Piotr Malysz of; being a progressive democrat is not one of them. Yes, he may agree with their arguments in this case, but I sometimes find myself agreeing with those I would normally disagree with.

While I disagree with his view of McConnell in this instance, I found his article to well worth my time. Well thought out and thought provoking.
These are things that we can discuss among learned and reasonable people, or even among ourselves. (Luther, SA III, paraphrased).

James J Eivan

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 05:08:15 PM »

There are certain things I would accuse Piotr Malysz of; being a progressive democrat is not one of them. Yes, he may agree with their arguments in this case, but I sometimes find myself agreeing with those I would normally disagree with.

While I disagree with his view of McConnell in this instance, I found his article to well worth my time. Well thought out and thought provoking.
In no way should the quoted statement reflect on the totality of the Forum article.

The initial thread post presented the article for discussion ... the quoted post was made with the hope that the political nature of the initial paragraph or two would not detract from the article as a whole.