Author Topic: Female Supreme Court Nominee  (Read 12169 times)

Buckeye Deaconess

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Female Supreme Court Nominee
« on: September 26, 2020, 11:07:07 AM »
A comment I just responded to that caused me to chuckle due to its hypocrisy along with the notion that this forum isn't very welcoming to women led me to start a thread on how conservative women are treated by those with differing views.

We're already seeing how this will play out with the anticipated announcement of the female Supreme Court nominee pick later this afternoon.  The woman thought to be the SCOTUS pick has endured attacks on her faith, including being called a "f@#*n nut" for her religion, along with being on the receiving end of other atrocious discourse.

Rather than celebrating a highly-credentialed female professional working mother of seven children (2 adopted from Haiti and 1 with special needs), those with differing political leanings villianize her instead.  That's a great display of support for women that they purport to advance, right?

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Female Supreme Court Nominee
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »
Personally, I have no objection to the nominee, even though I might’ve wished it was somebody else. She is relatively inexperienced, but…
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis.

GalRevRedux

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • The poster formerly known as GalRev83.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 11:23:21 AM »
Apparently, based on what I read this morning, the initial media plan of attack involves questioning the propriety of the adoption process of Judge Barrett’s children (from Haiti). I find this abhorrent.

To be honest, I had been hoping that, as she was subjected to horrid hearings just 2 years ago, the hearings might be skipped this time. Such hearings are not legally mandated.
A pastor of the North American Lutheran Church.

Jim Butler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 11:27:11 AM »
A comment I just responded to that caused me to chuckle due to its hypocrisy along with the notion that this forum isn't very welcoming to women led me to start a thread on how conservative women are treated by those with differing views.

We're already seeing how this will play out with the anticipated announcement of the female Supreme Court nominee pick later this afternoon.  The woman thought to be the SCOTUS pick has endured attacks on her faith, including being called a "f@#*n nut" for her religion, along with being on the receiving end of other atrocious discourse.

Rather than celebrating a highly-credentialed female professional working mother of seven children (2 adopted from Haiti and 1 with special needs), those with differing political leanings villianize her instead.  That's a great display of support for women that they purport to advance, right?

I was thinking about this the other day. The attacks on ACB remind me of those on Daniel: they only thing they have is her religion. They cannot attack her credentials. Students, judges, and other lawyers have all said she is one of the most brilliant women they have ever met. She is compassionate and caring; stories of her helping students abound. What else is left?

That she is part of a group called "People of Praise." Which, supposedly, degenerates women. If that is true, then they obviously do a very bad job of it: she graduated at the top of her law class, clerked for Silberman (DC Circuit) and Scalia (SCOTUS), and then served as law professor at Notre Dame, and then judge on the 7th Circuit.

Let's be honest: if she was a Catholic in the mold of Diane Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi, she would be a feminist icon. As it is, she must be destroyed.

Sad. Truly sad.
The significance of the passage of time, right? The significance of the passage of time. So when you think about it, there is great significance to the passage of time. -- VP Kamala Harris

B Hughes

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 11:33:04 AM »
Apparently, based on what I read this morning, the initial media plan of attack involves questioning the propriety of the adoption process of Judge Barrett’s children (from Haiti). I find this abhorrent.

To be honest, I had been hoping that, as she was subjected to horrid hearings just 2 years ago, the hearings might be skipped this time. Such hearings are not legally mandated.

Agree completely. Not only for her sake personally, but the sake of her entire family. No one should have to go through that level of abuse.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 11:36:43 AM »
Any of us who aspires to any position, whether it is pastor of a parish, or a position on the Supreme Court, must be willing to go through the process required to obtain that position. The process may be fair; it may be unfair. But you have to go through it before you get to where you want to be. By the way, is it a little bit sexist to suggest that because she’s a woman and a mother she shouldn’t have to go through what some consider the “Horror“ of hearings?
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 11:37:58 AM »
For some people, women are only women sociologically. It is something to be used for intersectionality purposes against the power structure. Conservative women aren't really women the same way black Trump supporters aren't really black. It is an ideology, not a biological reality.

Interracial adoption does indeed carry with it certain added problems, nearly all of them explained by the fact that everyone can see clearly that the children are not the biological children of the parents, and that includes the children themselves. But it is not an insurmountable problem; I know a lot of people who have done interracial adoptions, some with very little issue and some where it became a problem.

A big divide on this issue is people who see adoption as a lifestyle choice for themselves and healthy, adoptable children as a public commodity vs. people who believe strongly in the benefits of growing up in a stable traditional family and want to share that gift with those in need.

A light-hearted but still serious movie that includes this issue is Instant Family, which is recommended to augment training by the fostering service we use.  It involves a white couple adopting Hispanic children through the foster system.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 11:40:35 AM »
Any of us who aspires to any position, whether it is pastor of a parish, or a position on the Supreme Court, must be willing to go through the process required to obtain that position. The process may be fair; it may be unfair. But you have to go through it before you get to where you want to be. By the way, is it a little bit sexist to suggest that because she’s a woman and a mother she shouldn’t have to go through what some consider the “Horror“ of hearings?

If I understood one of the posters correctly, I thought the idea was that she just went through this a mere two years ago, and it would probably be a repeat of the same attacks and such.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

B Hughes

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 11:44:35 AM »

Well, that didn't take long, giving evidence why women don't post here ...

Randy Bosch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 11:53:05 AM »

The process may be fair or unfair.  This process is not inherently like running the gauntlet or fraternity initiation hazing.  What brings "horror" to hearings isn't the process, it is the individual participants who act in an unfair manner.  Many - actually almost all - have endured the process without having horrendous personal attacks thrown at them by political enemies.  One of the Senators who sits on the applicable committee has announced that the urban civil unrest is necessary to achieve change, and also happens to be one who was horrendously unfair in conduct in previous similar hearings since achieving election to the Senate.

Your "everybody has to go through it" meme is an attempt at self-justification for such behavior, an attempt to wash your hands of it.
What happened to your doctrine that "see, everybody does it; see, it has happened before" is not acceptable?

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 11:59:11 AM »
I did not, Randy Bosch, endorse what people say or do in the process. That is a different problem.
But as all of us know who have gone through various kinds of questioning or public additions, it’s just part of the deal. Even in a meeting with a congregation council considering whether to call you, you know that some center-of-the-rump jerk is going to ask stupid and inappropriate questions.”
Not saying, am I, that those things are appropriate; just that we know they will happen.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 12:03:22 PM by Charles Austin »

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 12:24:27 PM »
Personally, I have no objection to the nominee, even though I might’ve wished it was somebody else. She is relatively inexperienced, but…

Nice post.  It works for you no matter who Trump nominates.

Randy Bosch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 12:29:59 PM »
I did not, Randy Bosch, endorse what people say or do in the process. That is a different problem.
But as all of us know who have gone through various kinds of questioning or public additions, it’s just part of the deal. Even in a meeting with a congregation council considering whether to call you, you know that some center-of-the-rump jerk is going to ask stupid and inappropriate questions.”
Not saying, am I, that those things are appropriate; just that we know they will happen.

Thank you for the affirmation.  Edmund Burke saw the dichotomy as the price of justice and liberty.
"Men cannot enjoy the rights of an uncivil and of a civil state together.  That he may obtain justice, he gives up his right of determining what it is in points (that are) the most essential to him.  That he may secure some liberty, he makes a surrender in trust of the whole of it."

Perhaps we all might be careful about the reality of  "...just that we know they will happen", which appears to bump into the fallacy of "general will".  "Rousseau invented the idea of 'general will', to which we all supposedly give free assent even when we are being brought to the guillotine.  But of course the 'general will' is a pious fiction of autocrats." (Alan Jacobs)

James J Eivan

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 12:34:13 PM »
An opportunity was missed to clearly condemn the type conduct that the Buckeye Deaconess opened this thread with. Rather than address the expected behavior of the confirmation process, comments have been redirected toward relatively tame and hopefully Christian setting of congregational meetings.

Our Lord says either you or for me or you were against me. In this case the question is will this expected rude and crude conduct that has become standard and confirmation hearings (and eluded to in the opening post of this thread) be condemned or will it simply be explained away ...Therefore tacitly approving it by silence?

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2020, 12:37:17 PM »
ACB has clerk's for an appeals court judge and Supreme Court Justice, been a law professor, and sat on the 7th Court of Appeals for two years a rs how much more experience should be required?
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS