Author Topic: The Forum is a success!  (Read 4169 times)

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: The Forum is a success!
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2020, 03:18:53 PM »

Irony. Calling conservative Lutherans fundamentalist is simply an immature put-down that doesn't raise the level of discourse. It is like referring to Democrats as "commie-libs." People do it for fun in like-minded crowds, but probably should not expect to engage any of them meaningfully when using the term.

So what happens if I say, "Genesis 1-2:4a is biblical myth."   ;D

Peace, JOHN
People who vehemently disagree will likely disagree vehemently. So? It is a forum. It is a place where every view can be entertained, not where every view must be treated with equal respect. Plenty of Trump voters post here despite Charles going bat-excrement crazy on them on an almost daily basis. Brian posts stuff like that all the time and he still manages to post his thoughts almost in real time here.

The only two "regulars" who are not to the right or far to the right.
You are listed as an ALPB Contribution Leader, do you consider yourself to not be a "regular" or to be to the right or far right?
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2020, 03:25:23 PM »

I suppose I'd be interested in commenting on threads these days that relate to adjusting to an empty nest, how to cook for 2 after over 20 years of cooking for 6,

As the primary cook for several years, my answer is just embrace the beauty of leftovers. And fix meals that can stand on their own as leftover, or can be slightly tweaked to make the leftovers into something different.

BTW, totally off topic (except for the cooking thing): A cousin just gifted us with a one-week trial of something called "HelloFresh," which is one of these order out a meal subscriptions (there are several these days). We thoroughly enjoyed the three meals, and we can see why the cousin likes it (still working in Silicon Valley, no time to shop or plan). What we got was pretty much everything needed for the entree, even down to seasonings any more exotic than salt and pepper, and instructions for preparation (essentially a recipe). We liked all three meals and will probably make them again. What we didn't like was (a) Too much packaging, very wasteful; and (b) some of the produce was not quite the quality we would prefer. But the meals were yummy, and I can see how this would be appealing to people with a different kind of lifestyle.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2020, 03:27:06 PM »
Charles writes:

I have long worried about the way female posters here have been treated.

To which I respond, making clear these are my words because I didn't use the quote function correctly like everyone else here does:

Oh man, that is rich. The rest of us never know when you'll decide to put on a grumpy cat mask and attack with vehemence. A concern of how people are treated is not a vibe I pick up from you.

A grand example of the reported disrespect.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2020, 03:37:06 PM »

Irony. Calling conservative Lutherans fundamentalist is simply an immature put-down that doesn't raise the level of discourse. It is like referring to Democrats as "commie-libs." People do it for fun in like-minded crowds, but probably should not expect to engage any of them meaningfully when using the term.

So what happens if I say, "Genesis 1-2:4a is biblical myth."   ;D

Peace, JOHN
People who vehemently disagree will likely disagree vehemently. So? It is a forum. It is a place where every view can be entertained, not where every view must be treated with equal respect. Plenty of Trump voters post here despite Charles going bat-excrement crazy on them on an almost daily basis. Brian posts stuff like that all the time and he still manages to post his thoughts almost in real time here.

The only two "regulars" who are not to the right or far to the right.
You are listed as an ALPB Contribution Leader, do you consider yourself to not be a "regular" or to be to the right or far right?

I'm not that frequent. Once more I've given up discussing the election here. I joined Donna today because she makes a very valid point and I would hope that it may evoke an improved performance by Forum participants. I have mentioned Judge Barret (which can be considered tangential to the election) only to discourage the hope that she will be attacked on her way to confirmation.

Peace, JOHN
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 03:53:31 PM by John_Hannah »
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

B Hughes

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2020, 03:38:45 PM »
Charles writes:

To which I respond, making clear these are my words because I didn't use the quote function correctly like everyone else here does:

Oh man, that is rich. The rest of us never know when you'll decide to put on a grumpy cat mask and attack with vehemence. A concern of how people are treated is not a vibe I pick up from you.

Richard, it's clear Charles is a friend and, therefore, allowed to get away with behaviors that others may not.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 03:46:22 PM by B Hughes »

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2020, 04:10:45 PM »
The straying of this thread into the area of cooking, and how many men are taking up this "women's work" reminds me of an incident that happened 20 maybe 25 years ago. My wife has never been very crafty. Other than a brief foray into latch hook and some minor sewing, she leaves that to me. Since college days, I have been into various forms of embroidery as well as knitting and crochet. We were at a mall one day and wandered into a fabric store so that I could purchase supplies for my current project. I tried to get a clerk to assist me in determining and finding what I needed. The clerk refused to talk with me but always answered my questions to my wife. Finally she left the store so that the clerk had to talk with me.

The whole idea of cooking as "women's work" has been amusing to me since traditionally, the profession of Chef has been a male dominated profession. Just look at the profession chefs on the various cooking competition shows. This is something that is definitely changing thankfully.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2020, 04:13:32 PM »
Charles writes:

Seriously?  THAT is your "grand example" of disrespect?  How about calling someone "donkey dumb"?  Not once, but several times.  Really, how much does Rev. Austin pay you to be his personal bodyguard and apologist here?  Because whatever it is, he is getting his money's worth.  And then some.

James J Eivan

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2020, 04:14:29 PM »
It’s one thing to worry about some thing… It’s another thing to provide concrete examples that back up your worry.

Please cite specific posts that support your worry the female posters have been treated any different than their male counterparts.

As one who is always concerned about equality for all, are you really asking for special and different treatment for the female participants?

A general comment: when female clergy are discussed, some have said that women cannot be correctly hearing the call from God. How should a female clergy feel when such comments are made? I'm pretty sure that such comments encourage them to remain silent rather than post in this forum.

I have heard, in private messages, from lesbian clergy: "I wouldn't dare post in that forum," is nearly a direct quote. So, our discussions on such issues becomes about them, rather than actually hearing from them.
Nice dodge ... and still hoping for a response from the forum member who made the thus far baseless and slanderous accusation. After all he demands answers to his questions. The challenge was/is to cite specific forum posts that support the shofar baseless accusation.

As far as Rev Stoffregen’s comments, how then can disagreement and a firm commitment to the contrary be properly expressed?  For example, (and please don’t let this question derail the topic) many on this forum have made absolutely false statements concerning the reasons and motivation for the LCMS practice of closed communion.  To my knowledge, no one has taken offense and ceased forum participation as a result of those statements.  We remain and fervently contend for the faith once delivered by the saints. 

It’s becoming apparent that possibly the problem is that for the extremes (both left/right, liberal/conservative, traditional/progressive) will discuss/debate a topic with increasing passion while those in the middle simply fade away in the heat of the discussion/debate?

This is not meant to be a criticism of those in the middle .. simply a possible observation/reason ... and a topic for discussion?

How can one oppose without compromise and yet not risk offending others?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 04:16:47 PM by James »

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2020, 05:00:22 PM »
James, please, as directed, stop sniping at every post I make.
P.S. is a “shofar baseless accusation“ one made without blowing the ram’s horn?
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Interesting things on the new administration and religion in the 1/24 newspapers. Douthat column, e.g. Posted link here, but it was deleted.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2020, 05:04:34 PM »
James, please, as directed, stop sniping at every post I make.
P.S. is a “shofar baseless accusation“ one made without blowing the ram’s horn?

No, because here you are, blowing away.  Again.

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2020, 05:09:16 PM »

I suppose I'd be interested in commenting on ... how to cook for 2 after over 20 years of cooking for 6

My wife's way of dealing with this was simple: she quit cooking and told me I could either take her out or do the cooking from now on. That way, she didn't have to worry about how to adjust from 6 to 2.

Now, I do almost all of the cooking. Problem solved.

I love this.  We mostly just use the grill these days for meat (hubby's domain) and throw together a vegetable side dish.  Three of our kids came home today from college, and now I've got to figure out how to feed them tonight.  :)

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2020, 05:10:18 PM »
Here is a partial solution to the empty nest cooking for 2 people issue.

My wife and I go out two times a week to an upscale restaurant in our
large city.  We have a bubbling beverage, fabulous food, & cozy companionship.
My wife goes on Tuesday nights and I go on Friday nights.

;D ;D

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2020, 05:13:58 PM »
Charles writes:

Richard, it's clear Charles is a friend and, therefore, allowed to get away with behaviors that others may not.

Charles is an acquaintance. I've sat near him in the press section at several churchwide assemblies, and that's the only context in which I've ever seen or spoken to him in person. I think at one of those assemblies we had lunch together.

I've actually probably spent more time talking to you in person than to him.

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2020, 05:16:05 PM »
There was a time (not too long ago) when there were positive discussions on this Forum, Lutherans trying to be better Lutherans (and Christians, and Americans, and simply human beings). Having had a lot to do with Lutherans and liked the experience, I started participating in about 2008. I have appreciated the welcome, including by Lutherman who thought I might be the kind of person with whom he might share a Lutheran adult beverage.

It hasn't been like that for several months. Contact me when the constructive discussions return; links are beside my name.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2020, 05:20:33 PM »
I think I’ve done about half or slightly more than half of the cooking in our family for the past 56 years.
The times when I traveled a lot, I did less. But when I’m home I cook more than half the time.
And We have always eaten out at least once a week.
Now in retirement, we eat four or five times a week in the dining room at our residence, where everything is nicely prepared and nicely served. I cook in the apartment about once a week just for the fun of it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 05:29:09 PM by Charles Austin »
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Interesting things on the new administration and religion in the 1/24 newspapers. Douthat column, e.g. Posted link here, but it was deleted.