Author Topic: Nuclear Family  (Read 13233 times)

B Hughes

Re: Nuclear Family
« Reply #210 on: September 27, 2020, 01:51:48 PM »
I did when I was in the parish or checking something in the ďevangelical Catholicď line of thought.
You?

Just checking as you scolded him for his grammar, but didn't give an answer. I thought maybe it was to sidestep a theological conversation.

I suggest that you consider whether this kind of comment is necessary. You might review the discussion on the deterioration of discussion here.

Why is it that Charles came back from a life time ban without apologizing for the behavior that brought it about? I'm wondering why that question wasn't answered.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 27, 2020, 01:58:28 PM »
I did when I was in the parish or checking something in the ďevangelical Catholicď line of thought.
You?

Just checking as you scolded him for his grammar, but didn't give an answer. I thought maybe it was to sidestep a theological conversation.

I suggest that you consider whether this kind of comment is necessary. You might review the discussion on the deterioration of discussion here.

Why is it that Charles came back from a life time ban without apologizing for the behavior that brought it about? I'm wondering why that question wasn't answered.
Who cares? It has nothing to do with the nuclear family or any other thread. I didn't answer it because it was a long time ago, I don't remember all that went into the decision, and it is none of anyone else's business.

B Hughes

« Reply #212 on: September 27, 2020, 02:12:09 PM »
Who cares? It has nothing to do with the nuclear family or any other thread. I didn't answer it because it was a long time ago, I don't remember all that went into the decision, and it is none of anyone else's business.

It was the business of all those who had been verbally abused that led to his ban, many of whom are no longer online here. Telling abuse victims their abuser has been forgiven without their input or consent is insulting Peter and not something any of us would accept as parish pastors. Is this really how Lutherans are to act? Why do you think I've been kicking this system in the shins of late?  Ban me if need be, but I still question why no attempt at reconciliation was offered or assumed needed.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 27, 2020, 02:47:44 PM »
I donít think he was removed for abuse. If I recall, he was removed for making the forum worse for everyone and for ignoring repeated pleas to quit. Some time later we allowed him to rejoin. It isnít a sin and forgiveness situation.

A lifetime ban actually just means an indefinite ban. The forum lets you ban people from posting a a day, a week, or whatever. Or it lets you just revoke posting privileges altogether, which is what we did. I donít keep the minutes of these kinds of decisions, but either way, this isnít a congregation, Iím not anyoneís pastor here, and posting privileges are not granted based on whether people are properly repentant for their sins. It is strictly a matter of what makes for a good forum. Even atheists post here without a test of faith or true contrition so long as they post relevant, interesting things.

B Hughes

« Reply #214 on: September 27, 2020, 02:51:03 PM »
I donít think he was removed for abuse. If I recall, he was removed for making the forum worse for everyone and for ignoring repeated pleas to quit. Some time later we allowed him to rejoin. It isnít a sin and forgiveness situation.

A lifetime ban actually just means an indefinite ban. The forum lets you ban people from posting a a day, a week, or whatever. Or it lets you just revoke posting privileges altogether, which is what we did. I donít keep the minutes of these kinds of decisions, but either way, this isnít a congregation, Iím not anyoneís pastor here, and posting privileges are not granted based on whether people are properly repentant for their sins. It is strictly a matter of what makes for a good forum. Even atheists post here without a test of faith or true contrition so long as they post relevant, interesting things.

Disappointing, but not unexpected. Abusers need their enablers. Thought better of you Peter.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:53:19 PM by B Hughes »

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 27, 2020, 02:57:42 PM »

Disappointing, but not unexpected. Abusers need their enablers. Thought better of you Peter.

During the pandemic, we have often heard about "self quarantine." If you have such a poor opinion of both moderators, maybe that's something you should consider.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

B Hughes

« Reply #216 on: September 27, 2020, 03:01:44 PM »

During the pandemic, we have often heard about "self quarantine." If you have such a poor opinion of both moderators, maybe that's something you should consider.

Well, I certainly wouldn't be the first, joining a long list of former participants. You and Peter win Richard. 

I can't seem to remember my password. Please remove me as a user.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 03:05:01 PM by B Hughes »

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 27, 2020, 03:57:48 PM »
All one big happy family...

A new California law will have transgender inmates housed in the prison population with which they sexually identify unless there are security concerns.
The law also requires officers to address transgender inmates based on the pronouns of their choice. And it requires officers to search inmates based on the search policy of their gender identity. This from ABC7 News.

Peter (People are leaving for Idaho. Idaho. No surf in Idaho.) Garrison

Pete Garrison, STS

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 27, 2020, 04:10:03 PM »
Love you guys.
Pastor Hughes, donít go.
Pastor Austin, donít.

Peter (Emotional sponge by profession) Garrison
Pete Garrison, STS

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 27, 2020, 05:40:39 PM »

Some of us believe that we have recaptured the essence of traditional Lutheran theology by removing it from much of its cultural trappings.

Do you support the "naked and unashamed" movement in the ELCA which seeks to remove the cultural trapping of marriage for sexually active clergy?  Why or why not?

No, I don't support it. I think I understand it having read some of their materials and NBW's latest book; but as my wife and I are talking about how to celebrate our 50th anniversary next year (without knowing what the COVID situation will be); life-long marriages are something I support. However, I'm pretty certain that trying to convince people of this "because the Bible says so," or "because that's the right way," isn't going to work any more.
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 27, 2020, 05:43:15 PM »
The Hebrew word ahad is used to describe the ďloveĒ that David and Jonathan had for each other.  The same Hebrew word is used to describe the love that all Israel had for David (see 1st Samuel 18:16).  The Hebrew word ahad in these and similar contexts has the meaning of the Greek word  philŪa which describes a dedicated brotherly or family love (unlike the Greek word ťrōs which describes romantic or sexual love).

I note that in the LXX ἀγαπάω, φιλέω, ἐράω and related words are all used for אהב. It can be used for friendship, for self-giving love, and for romantic or sexual love.

So what?  I am not a Jew.  This history has no bearing on me.  If we really want to talk about love we should be looking to the New Testament not the Old, in this case.

According to Paul, you have been grafted onto the Jewish tree. The Jewish Scriptures are also our Christian Scriptures. It should matter to you.
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

James J Eivan

« Reply #221 on: September 27, 2020, 05:46:08 PM »

Well, I certainly wouldn't be the first, joining a long list of former participants. You and Peter win Richard. 

I can't seem to remember my password. Please remove me as a user.
Boy they were eager to respond 😩 Please return!

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2020, 05:47:14 PM »
Well, maybe our lysis is the lessening of the ďdis-easeĒ inflicted by the presence of people who would hold us back and the osmotic pressure is doing for us what it does for water - filtering out some of the crap.
The church will change even more in the decades ahead and the ELCA and LCMS will survive, but in different forms. We will be glad, B Hughes and hyper-Missouri preservationists, that we said ďno, thanksĒ (several times) to your efforts to ďsaveĒ how you thought we should be.
Same to you fella. We parted company about half a century ago and been tracking in different trajectories. Many of us are glad that we said, "No thanks" to your efforts to save us from the horrors of traditional Lutheran theology.

Some of us believe that we have recaptured the essence of traditional Lutheran theology by removing it from much of its cultural trappings.

And some believe that Mrs. Clinton won the last presidential election.  But it ain't so.  In either case.

Mrs. Clinton did receive the highest number of votes. In most other elections, she would have been declared the winner (or at least been in a runoff if a majority of votes was necessary for the win). That isn't how we elect the president. The electoral college elects the president, not the people. She won the president election. She did not win the popular vote. Should we be surprised that we have a president who is not popular with a large segment of the population?

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 27, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »
4. I would prefer to study the Confessions and Luther -- even Pieper -- than Piepkorn.

I prefer to study Scriptures.

Brian Stoffregen

• View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2020, 05:54:02 PM »

In private messages with an LCMS poster, we noted that during Charles absence, when they didn't have him to kick around, there was more infighting among the LCMSers.