Author Topic: The Forum is a success!  (Read 5706 times)

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • church history review
Re: The Forum is a success!
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2020, 08:20:51 AM »
Since the thread is about drawing a different audience and participants, I wonder how ALPB uses social media to attract readers. When my Lutheran Forum article released, it appeared first online and I heard from many persons over Facebook.

Do all Lutheran Forum articles premier online and in social media? How does word of the forum reach new readers?
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

shrimp

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
    • Shellfish
Re: The Forum is a success!
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2020, 02:30:40 PM »
Yes, I am being sarcastic. I no longer see posts from female participants with any regularity.

I have long felt that female voices are not much welcome here. Without naming names, there is one longtime poster who is constantly browbeaten into silence. Eileen of blessed memory has moved on to a more elite forum, but stood her ground well and persistently. There is one poster who is more acceptable for a variety of reasons, but does not post often.

My more liberal sisters pop in and leave rather quickly.

I stop by and lurk, posting on occasion.

It seems to me that my brother pastors might be concerned at managing to alienate one entire group of potential participants. But I think instead that this was always meant to be a boys’ club anyway, so we females had best stay away.

Had any of you even noticed the absence of female voices in this forum? Does it actually not matter, as I suspect?

How much of this lack of female participation is a reflection of the readership of the Forum package or other ALPB publications?  How much of it is reflective of similar bulletin boards/online forums, which for decades have often been described similarly?

shrimp

Shrimp of the Shellfish blog