Author Topic: Youth Catechesis Question  (Read 3348 times)

Steven W Bohler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Youth Catechesis Question
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2020, 08:24:22 PM »
James,
I think Rev. Precup is asking for the name of your current pastor.  So he can have a "fraternal" conversation with him.  You know, the kind of mobbing activity that he and others so decry.

J.L. Precup

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2020, 08:52:17 PM »
"Letís see ... the pastor who baptized and confirmed me graduated CSL in the 50ís (very much aware of the brewing problems) ... confirmed me in the Ď70ís ... retired sometime before Y2K ... this is up in years if not in glory.  Iím no longer a member of that congregation ... I have not seen his name listed as a forum member .. but since almost all the time there are more guests than forum members viewing forum posts, your guess is a good as mine."  --James

I'll try once more since you seem to have some difficulty in understanding:  Does your pastor know what you are writing here?  That means now...your pastor now.  I assume you have one, right?
Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2020, 09:05:25 PM »
Pastor Bohler:
No, I have no problems with your memories of 1950's Iowa.  I just get a kick out of how it must have prepared you for the LBGQT agenda.  After all, your wife WAS a rainbow girl.

Me:
Cute, but off the mark.
Like millions of other Lutherans, I grew up in a very "normal," relatively conservative, politically quietist, congregation, led by pastors who were not conservative biblicists or fundamentalists, and who encouraged thought, study and interaction with others.
And like millions of other Lutherans here and around the world, I am most happy and blessed to be in a denomination such as the ELCA.
Go figure.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.

Pr. Don Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2020, 09:23:04 PM »
Witty, Steve, but spouses are off-limits. Remember how I threatened to kick Dave Likeness' ... butt if he ever dissed my wife with a "dumb blonde" joke again?

BTW, he did apologize, so it's all good.
Pr. Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2020, 09:30:46 PM »
"Letís see ... the pastor who baptized and confirmed me graduated CSL in the 50ís (very much aware of the brewing problems) ... confirmed me in the Ď70ís ... retired sometime before Y2K ... this is up in years if not in glory.  Iím no longer a member of that congregation ... I have not seen his name listed as a forum member .. but since almost all the time there are more guests than forum members viewing forum posts, your guess is a good as mine."  --James

I'll try once more since you seem to have some difficulty in understanding:  Does your pastor know what you are writing here?  That means now...your pastor now.  I assume you have one, right?
Let me see if I am understanding you J.L. Precup. Seems to me that you're implying that James's pastor doesn't know what he is writing here because if he did he'd stop James. And if he does you figure that you need to set his pastor straight on how he should pastor James.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

J.L. Precup

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2020, 09:52:07 PM »

Let me see if I am understanding you J.L. Precup. Seems to me that you're implying that James's pastor doesn't know what he is writing here because if he did he'd stop James. And if he does you figure that you need to set his pastor straight on how he should pastor James.

No, at this point I'd settle for a yes or no, and then let it go.  If he was your member, would you cheer him on in his name calling?
Keep watch, dear Lord, with those who work, or watch, or weep this night, and give your angels charge over those who sleep. Tend the sick, Lord Christ; give rest to the weary, bless the dying, soothe the suffering, pity the afflicted, shield the joyous; and all for your love's sake. Amen.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2020, 10:14:05 PM »
Witty, Steve, but spouses are off-limits. Remember how I threatened to kick Dave Likeness' ... butt if he ever dissed my wife with a "dumb blonde" joke again?

BTW, he did apologize, so it's all good.

You are right.  I let the joke get in the way.  So, I will apologize in a post directed to Rev. Austin.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2020, 10:18:15 PM »
Pastor Bohler:
No, I have no problems with your memories of 1950's Iowa.  I just get a kick out of how it must have prepared you for the LBGQT agenda.  After all, your wife WAS a rainbow girl.

Me:
Cute, but off the mark.
Like millions of other Lutherans, I grew up in a very "normal," relatively conservative, politically quietist, congregation, led by pastors who were not conservative biblicists or fundamentalists, and who encouraged thought, study and interaction with others.
And like millions of other Lutherans here and around the world, I am most happy and blessed to be in a denomination such as the ELCA.
Go figure.

Rev. Austin,

As Rev. Kirchner rightly pointed out, I should not have involved your wife in my attempt at humor.  Please accept my apology for that, to you and your wife.  Just so you know, I like Iowa girls -- my wife was born there (Estherville, Iowa).

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2020, 10:21:46 PM »
The only butt kicking that Don Kirchner has done in his lifetime........
He spilled an ashtray of burnt up cigarettes in his dormitory at the Seminary.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 10:35:03 PM by Dave Likeness »

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2020, 10:35:26 PM »
Thanks, but I didnít take it as an insult or offense to Beloved Spouse (who thinks youíre all nuts and wonders why I hang in here.)
My ďoff the markĒ meant I thought your attempt at lightness missed the target.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.

James

• Guard Personal Information! Doxxing trolls present
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2020, 11:37:50 PM »
If he was your member, would you cheer him on in his name calling?
Well ... Iíve been accused in glittering generalities of name calling on a number of occasions ... but when requested to cite specific posts containing name calling ... simply crickets. 

Please cite specific posts (you know ... using the quote function ... or equivalent) where I have engaged in name calling.

If indeed there is documentable name calling identified, I can indeed speak with my pastor concerning whether it was justified. After all, our Lord who never sinned, on multiple occasions referred to those within the sound of his voice as vipers.  It would be rather pointless for you to speak to my pastor if there has been no creditable specific offense identified.
If necessary, there will be a peaceful transfer of power on Jan 20, 2021.

In the event election fraud is proven in the courts of our country, there will be an inauguration ceremony ... no transfer of power necessary.

Pr. Don Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2020, 08:28:34 AM »
My father was a procurement analyst for the Weapons Command at the Rock Island
Arsenal in Rock Island, Illinois.  It is a Federal Military Installation.  Early in his
career, he was approached by some Masonic Lodge members in his department to
join the Masons.  They liked his moral character and were willing to pay the fees
to make him a 33rd degree Mason.

What "fees" might these be, Dave?

BTW, if you are referencing the Scottish Rite as opposed to the York "Christian" Rite (the route I took to Knight Templar), I think you meant 32nd degree Mason. The 33rd degree is somewhat honorary.

"In the United States, members of the Scottish Rite can be elected to receive the 33į by the Supreme Council. It is conferred on members who have made major contributions to society or to Masonry in general...The 33rd Degree is conferred on the odd years at the Annual Meeting."

Finally, Masonry, especially at that time, was a secret society. I seriously doubt that the "approach" took place in the manner you depict.

Maybe stick with working on your comedy routine?   ::)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 09:08:26 AM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Pr. Don Kirchner

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2020, 09:14:34 AM »
Pastor Kirchner, with friends and relatives who were lifelong Masons,  I have never heard that the York rite was ďChristian.Ē  I have heard, although I didnít know anyone in that part of the lodge, that the Knights Templar parts of the lodge was  limited to Christians. But even if that part were Christians, it would be Christians of all denominations. Wouldnít you have any unionism problem there?
Interesting. I shall research.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 09:41:06 AM by Charles Austin »

Pr. Don Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2020, 09:18:41 AM »
Leave me alone, Charles. We are ordered not to interact hereon, so knock it off.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 09:20:12 AM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Pr. Don Kirchner

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2020, 09:32:08 AM »
Ok.
To everyone here except Pastor Kirchner:
Does anyone know anything about York rite freemasonry? Is it Christian? As I understand it,  the Knights Templar degree is open only to Christians, but before that level a man would have to go through the other degrees of basic freemasonry. And the Knights Templar would be open to all Christians. Wouldnít this to be a problem for someone concerned about unionism?
Remember. This question is for everyone but Pastor Kirchner, and is a follow-up of my reflection upstream.

P.S. As for ďpayingĒ for someoneís progress through the lodge, I could imagine that it could happen.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 09:44:07 AM by Charles Austin »