Poll

Did "Obamacare" cause you to change doctors and/or insurance companies?

I kept my doctor(s) and insurance company.
12 (52.2%)
I had to change my doctor(s), but kept my insurance company.
2 (8.7%)
I kept my doctor(s), but had to change insurance company.
4 (17.4%)
I had to change my doctor(s) and had to change insurance companies.
5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Poll: Change of doctors or insurance  (Read 2848 times)

jebutler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Poll: Change of doctors or insurance
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2020, 09:49:58 AM »
As with most legislative endeavors, there were good aspects and bad with the ACA. Many people benefited from ACA, many did not and found themselves worse off. But in any case Pres. Obama oversold it, making promises that he should have known could not be kept. Were those lies?

President Obama did not get what he wanted. He got a compromise that could get through congress. I'm certain that his ideal plan would have meant not changing doctors. If it was a single-payer insurance coverage, we all would be changing insurance companies.

The problem with health care policy in America is simple.

Americans want health care to have three things. They want health care to be cheap, universal, and comprehensive.

The problem is we can choose any two off that list. The question is: which two. And who wants to tell the Americans they can't have all three?
These are things that we can discuss among learned and reasonable people, or even among ourselves. (Luther, SA III, paraphrased).

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2020, 10:28:16 AM »
As with most legislative endeavors, there were good aspects and bad with the ACA. Many people benefited from ACA, many did not and found themselves worse off. But in any case Pres. Obama oversold it, making promises that he should have known could not be kept. Were those lies?

President Obama did not get what he wanted. He got a compromise that could get through congress. I'm certain that his ideal plan would have meant not changing doctors. If it was a single-payer insurance coverage, we all would be changing insurance companies.
I get it now. When Obama promised with the ACA what he could not deliver it wasn't his fault, he meant well, it was all the fault of the opposing party. When Trump doesn't deliver it is all his fault and only his fault. It is actually one standard applied to all: Always blame the Republican not the Democrat.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 02:33:55 PM »

I get it now. When Obama promised with the ACA what he could not deliver it wasn't his fault, he meant well, it was all the fault of the opposing party. When Trump doesn't deliver it is all his fault and only his fault. It is actually one standard applied to all: Always blame the Republican not the Democrat.

I do not blame Trump for what congress does or doesn't do; except for the influence he seeks to exert over his Republican cohorts; and his threat to veto legislation he doesn't like.

Congress also should not be blamed for the way some states carried out ACA legislation, e.g., not all adopted the expanded Medicaid program.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

James J Eivan

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2020, 09:32:54 AM »
Since polls are not too common, it would be helpful to understand how to view the results of the poll.  In the past poll results have been available... I just don’t remember how to view them.

DeHall1

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 10:05:17 AM »
Since polls are not too common, it would be helpful to understand how to view the results of the poll.  In the past poll results have been available... I just don’t remember how to view them.

I'm pretty sure you have to select one of the options in the poll before you can see the results.

Coach-Rev

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Rev. Jeff Cottingham, STS
    • View Profile
    • Trinity Lutheran Church
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2020, 11:04:28 AM »
Yeah, your poll is incomplete.

You also need the option:  "We got to keep our insurance, but the premiums more than doubled."

Which is exactly what happened to us, and this on my wife's Federal insurance program as a VA employee, managing the North Platte NE clinic.  I don't know what would have happened were we on the NALC group policy.  From what I understand, the same thing happened there.

And we were also promised that premiums would go down...
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

blog:  http://coach-rev.blogspot.com/
photography:  https://jeffcottingham.smugmug.com/

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2020, 11:45:01 AM »
On the one hand I was able to get coverage through Obamacare when I probably wouldn't have otherwise, because I opened my own business during the rollout in 2014.

On the other hand, that coverage changed drastically year-to-year.  We went uncovered one year because the Marketplace forced us into a plan with a $12K dollar-for-dollar deductible, and I wasn't going to pay over $1000 a month for that.  Ultimately, prices rose to the point we could not afford insurance at all, which is where things are now.  The last year I looked it was over $1800 a month.  Only 2 providers existed at that time in the State of Georgia.  We had to alternate between Humana and Kaiser due to cost.  That necessitated changing doctors, because Kaiser is all in-house.

So for a couple of years Obamacare was great for us.  But at this point it does nothing.  I would much rather have a system where I could get catastrophic insurance to cover surgeries, extended hospital stays, etc., and just pay out of pocket for medications and doctor visits, but Obamacare makes that illegal, so I'm stuck in no man's land.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2020, 11:46:11 AM »
Also, I'd want to know how many people who responded to the poll actually had to live within the confines of the ACA to get insurance, as opposed to getting it through an employer.  Because it's easy to say Obamacare never affected you if you never had to live with it.

My view is if you haven't been on the Exchange, then you just don't know what you don't know.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

James J Eivan

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2020, 12:19:19 PM »

You also need the option:  "We got to keep our insurance, but the premiums more than doubled."

Which is exactly what happened to us, and this on my wife's Federal insurance program as a VA employee, managing the North Platte NE clinic.  I don't know what would have happened were we on the NALC group policy.  From what I understand, the same thing happened there.

Yup ...Julio up thread indicated the poll was bogus .. this forum lacks a scientific cross section of the American public for a meaningful sampling of option on this subject.

This poll was designed by a progressive to further the progressive agenda ... using the blackmail option ... poll results visible only to those who participated in the poll.  Since the poll is anonymous, why hide the results?

James J Eivan

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2020, 12:27:41 PM »
Also, I'd want to know how many people who responded to the poll actually had to live within the confines of the ACA to get insurance, as opposed to getting it through an employer.  Because it's easy to say Obamacare never affected you if you never had to live with it.

My view is if you haven't been on the Exchange, then you just don't know what you don't know.
I’ve known far too many people on the exchange who make appointments far in advance only to have the appointment cancelled days before the scheduled visit.  These exchange members were the ones connecting the dots realizing that exchange members are second class health care recipients.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2020, 02:15:39 PM »

Yup ...Julio up thread indicated the poll was bogus .. this forum lacks a scientific cross section of the American public for a meaningful sampling of option on this subject.

This poll was designed by a progressive to further the progressive agenda ... using the blackmail option ... poll results visible only to those who participated in the poll.  Since the poll is anonymous, why hide the results?
James, I believe that the way the software that runs this forum is set up so that when there is a poll, only those who participate in the poll see the results. The choice to withhold results from those not participating in the poll was made not by the originator but the software designer.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Mike Gehlhausen

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2020, 02:32:37 PM »
This does seem a change in the software over the past few years.

Perhaps you can see a poll's results after it ends.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2020, 02:33:36 PM »
Our healthcare system will get better when the nation recognizes the value of national healthcare for all. Yes, there will be more bureaucracy. Yes, there will be some Inefficiency. But we will be able to deliver healthcare to more people. And the population as a whole will be healthier, which has economic benefits for all of us.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Say what you will about polls, but all current polls show that a significant majority of Americans agree with the things I have been saying in this modest form.

James J Eivan

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2020, 02:34:28 PM »

James, I believe that the way the software that runs this forum is set up so that when there is a poll, only those who participate in the poll see the results. The choice to withhold results from those not participating in the poll was made not by the originator but the software designer.
Review the attached photo ... the default option is ‘show poll results to everyone’. 

While the software providers allow other options, it is a deliberate choice to extort poll participation in order to view poll results.

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2020, 02:37:07 PM »
The person setting up the poll chooses the display from a short menu:
Poll Options
Maximum votes per user: 1 (or more--specify)
Run the poll for: ___   days  (Leave blank for no limit.)
Allow users to change vote: (yes/no)
Result visibility:  Show the poll's results to anyone.
 Only show the results after someone has voted.
 Only show the results after the poll has expired.

Peace,
Michael
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:40:40 PM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian