Poll

Are gender reveal parties a good or bad trend?

Good
3 (12%)
Bad
10 (40%)
Indifferent
12 (48%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: September 18, 2020, 11:59:35 AM

Author Topic: Gender reveal parties: good or bad trend? [POLL]  (Read 1399 times)

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Gender reveal parties: good or bad trend? [POLL]
« on: September 08, 2020, 11:56:58 AM »
When I first heard that one of the biggest California wildfires was started with careless fireworks at a "gender reveal" party, I didn't know what that was. Since we're talking California, where gender is loosely defined, I was afraid to ask. But then it was explained that the celebration was when expectant parents would reveal to scores of their closest family and friends whether the child they were expecting was male or female.
     Being an old man, I was used to greater modesty in this matter: either the couple would leave the revelation until the birth itself, or the mother would let some female members of her family in on the secret, or information would spread casually without fanfare.
     If parties like this are trending, are there pluses or minuses (apart from the burning of large parts of the surrounding countryside) to the practice? Could the enhanced public recognition that the mother is expecting an actual child (and it's already there--and maybe even named--folks!) be a small impetus towards looking with joy toward birth, and consequently disfavoring an abortion mind-set? Or is the whole thing too presumptuous, disruptive of the physical and spiritual preparation for the birth of the child, and consumerist?

Peace,
Michael
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 12:46:02 PM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

James J Eivan

Re: Gender reveal parties: good or bad trend?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 12:07:06 PM »
When I first heard that one of the biggest California wildfires was started with careless fireworks at a "gender reveal" party, I didn't know what that was. Since we're talking California, where gender is loosely defined, I was afraid to ask. But then it was explained that the celebration was when expectant parents would reveal to scores of their closest family and friends whether the child they were expecting was male or female.
     Being an old man, I was used to greater modesty in this matter: either the couple would leave the revelation until the birth itself, or the mother would let some female members of her family in on the secret, or information would spread casually without fanfare.
     If parties like this are trending, are there pluses or minuses (apart from the burning of large parts of the surrounding countryside) to the practice? Could the enhanced public recognition that the mother is expecting an actual child (and it's already there--and maybe even named--folks!) be a small impetus towards looking with joy toward birth, and consequently disfavoring an abortion mind-set? Or is the whole thing too presumptuous, disruptive of the physical and spiritual preparation for the birth of the child, and consumerist?

Peace,
Michael
Father ... it’s a natural progression of things .. for years parents have been releasing the gender months before the birth of the child.  These reveal events are becoming more and more common ... strangely missing from the reports of this event is whether or not social distancing and masks were involved ... especially considering the same preoccupation with social distancing and mask use is not included in rioting and looting reports.

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 12:10:30 PM »
What’s the rush?

Peter (Blue or pink paint. 3 gallons will do it.) Garrison
Pete Garrison, STS

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 12:24:29 PM »
I generally think they are bad.  (Not a Pres. Biden bad, but still bad.  ;-) On my bad scale, knowing the sex of the baby is close to "Chicago Cubs winning the World Series" bad, which is a solid 7.)  My wife and I have 6 kids.  We were very firm in not finding out the sex of the baby in the womb.  We did learn the sex of #4 child because he was giving my wife a very difficult time in the womb.  A quite extensive ultrasound had to be performed and there was no mistaking his sex.  We did this was for several reasons. 

1. How many things in life are really a surprise anymore? 
2. Knowing the sex of the baby wouldn't have changed our preparation.  The baby isn't going to care what clothing they wear home from the hospital/birth center.  (Four of our babies were born at a midwifery, #1 son was born at a hospital, and #6 child was born in our home.) 
3. God is in control of things.  We were open to the gift of children and the Lord provided.  What concern was it of ours what sex the child was?  It wouldn't change anything.  God knows what is best.

I saw in the news what you saw regarding the cause of the fire.  I was disappointed, but no one will really care what I think.  This topic comes up in a roundabout way during premarital sessions.  The topic of family comes up and we talk about children.  I ask about whether or not they would learn the sex of the baby when that time comes.  It allows me to mention the reliance on God that moms and dads need to have. 

And I would say that a gender reveal party as the cause of a fire is not going to change anything.  And my thoughts that I have expressed to people hasn't changed anything either.  While I think this is a bad idea, I suppose I have given up swaying anyone so I am more indifferent.  But my vote is still for bad.

Jeremy 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 12:26:14 PM by Jeremy Loesch »
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 12:28:25 PM »

Peace,
Michael

The key words of your quote, " Being an old man, I was used to greater modesty in this matter..." That's what's liking in our society: modesty in just about everything.

Another aspect is the shrinking size of the family. Seriously, if you have four or five children, you don't have the money or time to make this big gender reveal. But if you have one or two, you have money and can make this big splash. Then too one must consider the delay in marriage and childbirth. You often have two family members, both working and relatively affluent, so they can spend on a big bash like this.

On the other hand, many others have low key gender reveals. My daughter and son-in-law only told family and friends when our first grandson was born and then did a Facebook live post for our second grandson. More power to the modest people out there.
These are things that we can discuss among learned and reasonable people, or even among ourselves. (Luther, SA III, paraphrased).

Mike Gehlhausen

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 12:33:59 PM »
I don't know.  Anything that affirms (1) life in the womb and (2) gender determined by the Creator is a good thing.

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 12:46:03 PM »
The parties strike me as dressed up baby showers.  They don't bother me beyond the annoyance accompanying any shower.

That said, the doctors are not always right.  I know of two babies born whose sex differed from what the doctor had concluded from sonograms.  Rooms had to be repainted and gifts exchanged.  So it goes.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Gender reveal parties: good or bad trend? [POLL]
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 01:16:27 PM »
I'm not much for this kind of party, but they are a bulwark of sanity against those who think gender is a construct.

I wouldn't surprised if there is a reaction to them whereby trans activists started sponsoring gender confirmation parties and encouraging everyone to have them whether they are trans or not. People of a certain age (teenage, probably) could have a party and announce that they are "cis-" or "trans" and be affirmed by all their friends. They would then declare that day to be the real gender reveal party.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 01:38:24 PM »
I am opposed to gender reveal parties where they use fireworks and therefore set off a catastrophic forest fire. I am opposed to gender reveal party where they use balloons that go up into the atmosphere and hurt the birds. I am opposed to gender reveal parties where they pump people full of sugar and chemicals, Encourage excessive drinking, and use them as another means to beg for gifts.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Say what you will about polls, but all current polls show that a significant majority of Americans agree with the things I have been saying in this modest form.

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 01:59:18 PM »
I am opposed to gender reveal parties where they use fireworks and therefore set off a catastrophic forest fire. I am opposed to gender reveal party where they use balloons that go up into the atmosphere and hurt the birds. I am opposed to gender reveal parties where they pump people full of sugar and chemicals, Encourage excessive drinking, and use them as another means to beg for gifts.

I share your opposition to forest fires, hurting birds, and excessive drinking.  I'm a bit more open on special occasions to eating sweets and exchanging gifts.  Would you allow at gatherings for music (something from the 1940s, perhaps?), a bit of dancing (with partners socially distanced), and perhaps a friendly card game?

B Hughes

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 02:54:12 PM »

Love it. Tells me the parents understand gender is binary, a win for the Orders of Creation. Also the child wasn't aborted. Double score.

Given the original post contained a California couple's reveal I was a bit surprised. I think the celebration could just as easily have been:  "We believe our child may self-identify as gender fluid and so we'll wait for the child to attend a national ELCA Youth Gathering.  The speakers will be marvelous and he/she/they can make a Decision for Pronoun during the Astarte chant!"

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 03:40:17 PM »
The parties strike me as dressed up baby showers.  They don't bother me beyond the annoyance accompanying any shower.

Exactly correct. Except that I'd be willing to bet there will ALSO be a baby shower or two or three. All of these things being excuses to get more stuff (said another one "being an old man"  ;D ).

But it isn't the gender reveal party per se that is the problem as far as fire goes; it's the stupidity of people thinking it was a good idea to rent a smoke machine during an extreme fire season.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 04:05:04 PM »

Exactly correct. Except that I'd be willing to bet there will ALSO be a baby shower or two or three. All of these things being excuses to get more stuff (said another one "being an old man"  ;D ).

But it isn't the gender reveal party per se that is the problem as far as fire goes; it's the stupidity of people thinking it was a good idea to rent a smoke machine during an extreme fire season.
Agreed. The idea doesn't appeal to me but so what. In this day and age, though, shouldn't they hold off on the gender reveal party until the child's 18th or 21st birthday, give the child time to make up their mind as to which they want to be, maybe try on a few genders or make up their own?

It's the stupidity of having to be so dramatic in the reveal as to set the neighborhood on fire that's the problem.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

James J Eivan

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 04:45:00 PM »

I share your opposition to forest fires, hurting birds, and excessive drinking.  I'm a bit more open on special occasions to eating sweets and exchanging gifts.  Would you allow at gatherings for music (something from the 1940s, perhaps?), a bit of dancing (with partners socially distanced), and perhaps a friendly card game?
Sounds like an adiaphoron ... neither commanded or forbidden by God. Hopefully destruction caused by gender reveal incendiary events is considered as abhorrent as incendiary events caused by rioting thugs.

Weedon

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 04:47:54 PM »
I’d not heard of such a thing either until my daughter-in-law invited us to my grandchildren’s “gender reveal.” But it was not an occasion for gifts. And I don’t think they did it for their oldest, but it was a way for the kids to do something fun that disclosed to the adults (and soon to them) that they were expecting a new baby brother. My daughter is so against even learning the gender prior to birth that she pledges her ultrasound tech and doc to strict silence.
William Weedon, Assistant Pastor
St. Paul Lutheran Church, Hamel IL
Catechist on LPR Podcast: The Word of the Lord Endures Forever
A Daily, Verse-by-Verse Bible Study with the Church, Past and Present
www.thewordendures.org

+Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum