Author Topic: Eileen Smith RIP  (Read 1788 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Eileen Smith RIP
« on: July 20, 2020, 06:03:57 PM »
So sorry to share this news:

Eileen Smith
07/18/2020

Eileen Smith, age 69 of Wayne, dies on July 18, 2020.

It is with great sadness that I inform you that Eileen Smith of Wayne died at home with her sister Racquel by her side on July 18, 2020.  She was born in the Bronx to Eva and Henry Bentz and remained close with some of her best childhood friends. She attended Grace Lutheran parochial school, where she was a classmate of former Kiss guitarist, Paul “Ace” Frehley.  Eileen worked many years in New York City for ING Group, in Banking and Finance.  She earned an Associates in Applied Science degree from New York University, a Bachelor of Business Administration and Master of Business Administration from Pace University.

In July 1972 she married Joseph Smith and moved to Woodside Queens.  Joe and Eileen honeymooned in Mexico, starting in Mexico City exploring the country on their way to Alcapulco. Joe’s jobs required him to travel frequently and Eileen traveled with him whenever possible living for a short period in Redondo Beach, California, Seattle, Washington and Galveston. After 31 years in Woodside they moved to Wayne to be close to her family in Wayne and closer to Joe’s family in Albany.  Eileen made many wonderful friends in Wayne and loved going out to some of the local eateries like the “OD” (Oakland Diner), Bensi and Little Food Café.

It was always a priority for Eileen to stay in close touch friends and to get together with family whenever possible, especially during the holidays.  If you were part of her church communities, pool group, oatmeal club, neighbor, friend or friend of a friend you would most certainly get a plate of homemade Christmas cookies every year. She was an accomplished cook and loved cooking for her family and friends.  Her holiday dinners which she prepared for her family in Wayne were always delicious, creatively presented with name tags and holiday nik-naks and included some unique dishes like worm soup (Passatelli Dei Nonni).  She also prepared and coordinated an immensely popular holiday party for Joe’s family and relatives in Albany.  A considerable undertaking which she loved to do for Joe and his family.

Eileen was very close to her nephews Eric and Scott and was with them throughout their lives.  Whether it was cheering Eric on in baseball or Scott’s band recital she enjoyed watching them grow up.  She conducted a beautiful wedding ceremony for Eric and Nicole just a couple of years ago which had us all in joyful tears.  She was always there to provide them support and instill in them the valuable life lessons which they will remember forever.

Eileen was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer nearly ten years ago.  She immediately researched and learned everything she could about her disease and treatment.  She soon learned there was only limited treatment and few doctors with experience treating the disease.  She actively advocated for more research, funding and greater awareness to help in the fight against this disease and was even awarded by then NJ Governor Chris Christie for her efforts.

Eileen remained active in the church throughout her life.  As an adult she entered the Lutheran diaconate and was set apart as a deacon by the Metro New York Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America on June 17, 1998.  She served faithfully in the Metro Synod, often planning synod-wide educational and administrative events.  She was a gifted preacher and often substituted for vacationing pastors.

When She moved to New Jersey, Eileen joined St. Timothy Lutheran Church and quickly became a faithful worker and congregational leader.  She served on the Mutual Ministry Committee, chaired the Worship and Outreach Committees, and was a faithful sacristan and liturgical assistant.  Eileen founded St. Timothy’s very successful seniors’ program, Prime Timers, planning monthly luncheons and securing speakers for each gathering.  She preached and led worship several times a year when the senior pastor vacationed.  She served as a mentor for several generations of catechism students and coordinated the mentoring program.  Eileen introduced St. Timothy to “Stew Sunday,” which operates in conjunction with Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, providing nourishing meals for the clients of Eva’s Kitchen in Paterson several times a year.

Eileen was a prolific writer, contributing articles to synodical and parish newsletters, as well as several nationally circulated publications, including The Lutheran Magazine and the Lutheran Forum.  She was the editor of the Metro New York Synod’s monthly newsletter.  She was conversant in Lutheran theology and was an avid reader of theological tomes.

Eileen was a wonderful person, who did so much to make our lives and the world a better place.  It is impossible to mention everyone whose life she touched and how much each person in her life meant to her. Her loss will be felt by many.

She is survived by her sister Racquel White, brother in law Arthur White, her nephews and nieces: Eric (Nicole) White, Scott White, Michael (Mary Jean) Jackson, Thomas (Janice) Jackson, Daniel Jackson, Marybeth (Thomas) Huyck, and great nephews and nieces: Stephanie (Jason) Cosco, Renee Jackson, Marissa (Trey and Chase) Jasenski and Thomas Huyck. She was predeceased by her parents Eva and Henry Bentz, her husband Joseph Smith who passed away in 2020 and her great nephew Christopher Jackson.

Due to the pandemic the family will be holding a private graveside service.  Everyone will be with us in spirit to celebrate Eileen’s life and the many lives she touched in some special way.

Donations can be made to:
NET Research Foundation
31 St. James Avenue, Suite 365
Boston, MA 02116
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

James_Gale

• View Profile
Re: Eileen Smith RIP
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 06:19:31 PM »
Through this forum, I came to cherish Eileen and her perspectives. This is sad news indeed. I’m sure that she will inhabit all our prayers in the days ahead.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
Prayer Requests (New)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 07:13:48 PM »
I have just now learned of the death Saturday of our sister Eileen Smith. May she rest in peace and perpetual light shine upon her.  Peace, JOHN

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 10:14:46 PM by Richard Johnson »
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 07:58:01 PM »
Amen.
Prayers ascending.
Pete Garrison, STS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 08:22:02 PM »
I met Eileen in person several years ago when I preached and presided at St. Timothy’s, Wayne, New Jersey, one Sunday morning and she was the deacon at the mass.  This was sometime after she had her cancer diagnosis. Everything about her indicated she was a woman of great faith and concern for others and care for the church.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Article coming up in Lutheran Forum journal. Now would be a good time to subscribe.
😉

GalRevRedux

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • The poster formerly known as GalRev83.
    • View Profile
Re: Prayer Requests (New)
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 08:30:02 PM »
I am heartbroken to lose a woman who so quickly became a trusted and dear friend. Knowing she and Joe are together and in the bright presence of the Lord is reassuring.

Thank you, John, for sharing this sad news.

Rest eternal grant her, oh Lord.

Donna
A pastor of the North American Lutheran Church.

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 08:40:51 PM »
It is a deep loss. But we mourn not like those without hope. We know how it ends.

Thank you, Lord, for the gift of Eileen Smith throughout the years, including on this forum.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 09:06:07 PM »
We are poorer for this loss. Rest In Peace, rise in glory.

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

Weedon

Re: Prayer Requests (New)
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 09:09:49 PM »
Sweet Eileen. I have treasured our interactions across the years and loved her Von Schenk stories. Amen, Donna, may she rest in the arms of Jesus and may  His voice waken her and us to joyful resurrection.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 09:31:59 PM »
I am deeply saddened by the loss of our sister Eileen.  We never met in person but engaged in many long, mutually respectful private message correspondences.   The correspondence tailed off after Joe's passing....and perhaps I should have pressed more.

But we "do not grieve as others do who have no hope".

Fifth Tone

Blessed are You, O Lord, teach me Your commandments.

The choir of Saints has found the fountain of life and the door of Paradise. May I also find the way through repentance. I am the lost sheep: O Savior, call me back and save me.

Of old, You created me from nothing and honored me with Your divine image. But when I disobeyed Your commandment, You returned me to the earth from which I was taken. Lead me back again to Your likeness, so that the ancient beauty may be refashioned.

I am an image of Your ineffable glory, though I bear the scars of my transgressions. Take pity on me, the work of Your hands, Master, and cleanse me by Your compassion. Grant me the desired homeland for which I long, making me again a citizen of Paradise.

Give rest, O God, to Your servant, and place her, in Paradise where the choirs of the Saints and the righteous, O Lord, will shine as the stars of heaven. To Your departed servant give rest, O Lord, overlooking all her offenses.

Glory to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Let us devoutly praise the threefold radiance of the one God as we sing: Holy are You, the Father without beginning, the co-eternal Son, and the divine Spirit. Illumine us who worship You in faith and deliver us from the eternal fire.

Now and forever and to the ages of ages. Amen.

Rejoice, gracious Lady, who gave birth to God in the flesh for the salvation of all, and through whom the human race has found salvation. Through you, pure and blessed Theotokos, may we find Paradise.

Alleluia. Alleluia. Alleluia. Glory to You O God.

Eighth Tone

With the Saints give rest, O Christ, to the soul of Your servant where there is no pain, no sorrow, no sighing, but life everlasting.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 11:27:43 PM by J. Thomas Shelley »
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

pearson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 10:31:09 PM »
Like everyone else here, I too mourn the passing of Eileen.  Hers was a voice of peace and charity among us.  Her courageous life of faith and witness tells us she truly knew that nothing in all creation can ever separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus.  May her memory be eternal.

Tom Pearson

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 08:41:28 AM »
Eileen served so generously and faithfully in the diaconate.  In the olden days when we actually conducted courses in tandem across the denominational Lutheran lines, the development of servant leaders like Eileen, Pr. Joanne Bond and others is focused in my memory this morning as a blessing from Almighty God.  Eileen's insights here never strayed from her New York City roots in the Missouri Synod.  She witnessed to us the best of evangelical and catholic theology and practice.  Rest in peace with all the saints in light perpetual!

Dave Benke

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 08:53:30 AM »
Very sad news.  Eileen's posts were always among the best of the best.  She had shared her health struggles, and I am glad that those are over for her.  She was also quite open about her husband's recent death.  I am glad for her that she is now at rest with the Lord and that she and her husband are together in repose. 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 09:39:13 AM »
Thank you, Richard, for posting the obituary for Eileen Smith. May she rest in peace.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 11:38:36 AM »
Thank you for posting this.  rest eternal grant her O Lord and let light perpetual shine upon her.
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS