Author Topic: Need Help Finding...  (Read 1205 times)

Steven W Bohler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Need Help Finding...
« on: July 13, 2020, 11:45:37 AM »
A while back, someone posted a link of a video presentation made to law students about what concealed carry permit-holders should say/do when dealing with law enforcement.  Can anyone refresh my memory as to who was the speaker, or where I can find the link?  Thanks.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Need Help Finding...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 11:50:40 AM »
How about saying “Officer, I’m licensed to carry a gun. I am carrying it. I’m not going to touch it. I will keep my hands on the wheel or in view at all times. What do you want me to do next?”
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Article coming up in Lutheran Forum journal. Now would be a good time to subscribe.
😉

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 02:15:24 PM »
Perfect response, but omit the word “gun” and keep the word “permit”.
“Gun” for a rookie can be, ahem, a “trigger” word.

I believe some states require you to declare that you are carrying.

(Former police chaplain.)

Peter (Hands on the steering wheel, palms up) Garrison
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 02:19:31 PM by pastorg1@aol.com »
Pete Garrison, STS

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 02:29:17 PM »
Thank you, both.  However, neither of you is a lawyer.  And the video I am seeking was a lawyer speaking to law students about the dangers of giving information to law enforcement officers.  A parishioner brought up the topic this morning and wondered why she should not answer all the questions an officer might ask.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 02:46:27 PM »
Perhaps this is the video that you're looking for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE It's not specifically about what to say when you are carrying a gun, but in general talking to police. In brief, Don't Talk to Police.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 03:18:14 PM »
Perhaps this is the video that you're looking for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE It's not specifically about what to say when you are carrying a gun, but in general talking to police. In brief, Don't Talk to Police.

Yes!  This is the one of which I was thinking!  Thanks so much!

B Hughes

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 04:26:24 PM »

And if you decide to obtain a carry permit, get insurance that covers your lawyer.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 06:43:50 PM »

And if you decide to obtain a carry permit, get insurance that covers your lawyer.

… cause you plan to shoot him?
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 06:57:28 PM »

Come on, now.  Leave the lawyer jokes for the lawyers!   :)

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 07:12:30 PM »

Come on, now.  Leave the lawyer jokes for the lawyers!   :)

I believe B Hughes's wife is a lawyer.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 07:14:47 PM »

Every police officer I know well will tell you the same thing.  Don't talk to the police if there is even the slightest chance that you might be charged with anything.

When police officers pull over drivers for violating traffic laws, they love to ask "Do you know why I pulled you over?" or "Do you know how fast you were going?"  Be polite, but don't answer those questions.  Very cordially invite the officer to tell you why he or she pulled you over.  A good practice after pulling over is to quickly open all your windows and at night to turn on the dome light.  Then put your hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel until the officer asks you to do something else.

If you are carrying, you absolutely should tell the officer up front that you have a permit and that you are carrying. 

The tougher for situations, of course, arise outside routine traffic stops.  If you ever do use your weapon in self-defense, and nobody else has done so, call 911 and ask for police and an ambulance.  You can describe the person's injuries briefly, but don't talk about what you did until you've spoken to a lawyer.  If someone is under stress, which is typically the case after shooting someone, a person often will want to throw the whole story on the table as if the police interview were a therapy session.  The person might start wondering out loud whether he could have done something different.  He might get details wrong or the details might change as the person tells and retells and retells the story.  All these things can be disastrous.  Also, DO NOT stay on the line with the 911 operator after saying what needs to be said.  Get off the phone, give first aid if you're able, and otherwise try to stay calm.  When the police arrive, you might well be cuffed and taken downtown, even if the police think that you probably acted in self defense.  The officers will want to interview you.  Just say politely that you want to talk to your lawyer first so that you handle things the right way.  Say nothing more about the case until you and your lawyer have consulted.

And as Pr. Hughes said, if you're going to carry (or even are willing to use a deadly weapon in self-defense) get insurance.  There are companies that specialize in this kind of coverage.  They will provide a lawyer experienced in these kinds of cases, usually within an hour or two.