Author Topic: Professor Fretheim  (Read 796 times)

peterm

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Professor Fretheim
« on: November 17, 2020, 10:51:50 AM »
Professor Terry Fretheim, long time Old Testament Professor and scholar at Luther Seminary entered the church triumphant yesterday.  I took many classes from him during my time at Luther (1990-1994.)  I appreciate his wisdom and the things that I learned from him.
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

Pastor Ken Kimball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Professor Fretheim
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 03:58:09 PM »
I had Terry for several classes as well during my time there (when it was LNTS) 1983-1987--first class with him was an Intro to the Bible that he and Tiede co-taught.  I enjoyed him and appreciated his learning--though I didn't always agree with him.  I recall his warm and gracious approach to his students.     Rest eternal grant him O Lord. 

Gary Hatcher

• Я православный
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 07:56:45 AM »
I too, had Dr. Fretheim for several classes at Luther during my years at Luther, 1973-1977. Христос воскресе!  Воистину Воскрес! May the Holy Angels Greet Thee!
Gary Hatcher STS,
Pastor St. Paul & First Lutheran Churches
Garnavillo & McGregor, IA

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 10:46:20 AM »
I had Terry for several classes as well during my time there (when it was LNTS) 1983-1987--first class with him was an Intro to the Bible that he and Tiede co-taught.  I enjoyed him and appreciated his learning--though I didn't always agree with him.  I recall his warm and gracious approach to his students.     Rest eternal grant him O Lord.

My senior year I took a systematics class taught by him and Sponheim.  It was a lot of fun, because they specifically pushed us not too agree with them on everything, but if we didn't agree we had to be ready to back ourselves up with cogent arguments, and sources.  This was perhaps one of the best classes I took in seminary.

Pastor Ken Kimball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 11:14:53 AM »
I enjoyed Paul as well and I remember that he and Terry had a genuine friendship.  A number of us, liking and respecting both men, would refer to them as "the Heim brothers" (Fretheim and Sponheim). 

The Yak

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 11:59:31 AM »
Professor Terry Fretheim, long time Old Testament Professor and scholar at Luther Seminary entered the church triumphant yesterday.  I took many classes from him during my time at Luther (1990-1994.)  I appreciate his wisdom and the things that I learned from him.

I'm greatly saddened to hear this.  I lived in Terry's house for a year when I attended Luther in the mid to late '90s.  Memory eternal.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 12:02:37 PM by The Yak »
Rev. Dr. Scott Yakimow
Professor of Theology
Concordia University - Ann Arbor

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 07:24:33 PM »

My senior year I took a systematics class taught by him and Sponheim.  It was a lot of fun, because they specifically pushed us not too agree with them on everything, but if we didn't agree we had to be ready to back ourselves up with cogent arguments, and sources.  This was perhaps one of the best classes I took in seminary.

That was also the practice of my theology professors at Wartburg. We didn't necessarily have to agree with them on everything, but we had to support our position well - because they would quiz us. It was also the approach of one professor "to know the issues better than the opponents." He pretty well knew the holes in students' arguments and he could help them dig themselves into a hole.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 10:48:07 AM »
I enjoyed Paul as well and I remember that he and Terry had a genuine friendship.  A number of us, liking and respecting both men, would refer to them as "the Heim brothers" (Fretheim and Sponheim).

We did the same.  It was my experience at Luther that all of my professors genuinely liked each other even when they didn't agree.  I took a number of team taught classes.  Forde and Nestingen for conressions was another favorite, as was a cross disciplinary class taught by Harrisville and Sundberg

Pastor Ken Kimball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 06:33:51 PM »

We did the same.  It was my experience at Luther that all of my professors genuinely liked each other even when they didn't agree.  I took a number of team taught classes.  Forde and Nestingen for conressions was another favorite, as was a cross disciplinary class taught by Harrisville and Sundberg
I took "Giants" (short for I foggily recall "Theological Giants") with Harrisville (my adviser) and Sundberg the fall ('86) of my senior year.  Essentially it was a retracing of Biblical exegetes and expositors from the Reimarus and others in the 1700's up through Bultmann, Barth, and Kaeseman in the 20th century.  The key question was whether the particular theologian/Biblical scholar actually exposited Scripture or domesticated Scripture (most often by making Scripture and its interpretation a vehicle for a philosophical exposition instead of Biblical exposition, e.g Bultmann's appropriation of Scripture as a vehicle for existentialist philosophy, a hard admission for Roy to make but which he did).  For the most part, most of the professors liked each other or at least respectfully got along--but there was conflict as well, particularly in faculty discussions/debates and battles over granting tenure; it also reflected conflicts between those supporting the merger process leading to the ELCA and those with deep reservations about the forming of the new church).  Of course that sort of theological/ecclesial back and forth was not new, as I learned about the bitter divide of an earlier generation between Herman Preuss and George Aus.  Theological disagreement could and did result in the ending of friendships and rise of personal enmities.  I never really detected that in Terry--he was politically adroit and adept, trying to find a middle ground.  At least in his classes (which is where I really only knew him), he was respectful of his colleagues and didn't air complaints or grievances publicly.  I just remember his kindness and generosity of spirit in his approach to those taking his classes.