Author Topic: The Babylon Bee stings again!  (Read 11356 times)

Charles Austin

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: The Babylon Bee stings again!
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2020, 12:01:17 AM »
But I am not in favor of renaming the US Capitol.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Former national staff Lutheran Church in America And the Lutheran world Federation, Geneva. Former journalist. Now retired and living in Minneapolis.

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2020, 12:05:20 AM »

Why not? 
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?

James J Eivan

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2020, 12:32:13 AM »
The Bee announces the demise of McGruff the Crime Dog as part of this defund the police malarkey. Tragically some of the Bee’s satire is in danger of becoming reality.🥺

David Mahsman

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2020, 07:28:03 AM »

Why not?
Because it's the capital, not the capitol, that some want to rename.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2020, 08:35:19 AM »
“Lutheran” is still a valid word, and we have officially, frequently and internationalLy repudiated end apologized for the anti-Semitic portions of Luthers writings.
You should consult with the former president of ELCA's Union Seminary concerning the value of heartfelt apologies and repudiations.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

James J Eivan

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2020, 09:24:16 AM »
Why not?
Thank you for  being the consummate wordsmith ... and for reminding us of basic linguistic principles.

May God continue to bless your retirement years.

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2020, 09:33:55 AM »
America, just got to go. It has been demonstrated that America has a long history of racism, misogyny, homophobia, and oppression of the people who were here when the Europeans arrived. All in all, is there really anything great about America?

Don't forget that America is named after an Italian navigator.  Not Columbus, thank goodness, but still an Italian interloper.

Our nation’s capital is named after both Washington and Columbus. Oh my.

An amusing/sad aside:

For a time, DC's drivers licenses were headed "District of Columbia."  Unfortunately, a small but persistent cadre of TSA agents and others did not know what the District of Columbia was.  They thought that the DC licenses came from some foreign land.  To eliminate the resulting problems, the DC government changed its drivers licenses to say "Washington, DC."  That episode strikes me as both amusing and pathetic.

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2020, 09:43:04 AM »
I always liked seeing the DC license plates that had the slogan "Taxation without Representation" on them.  That always made me smile and thought that was one small way to keep history alive.

The easiest way to clear things up regarding DC and representation is to just give the land back to Maryland.  Everything that is federal can remain under federal control and the US Park Police or Capitol Police can be expanded to watch over the federal office buildings, White House, Cabinet office buildings, etc.  The residential and commercial and industrial areas can go back to Maryland.  Nothing will really change.  Maryland is already controlled by Montgomery, Prince George's, Baltimore, and Arundel counties.  DC is surrounded by Montgomery and PG counties.  Maryland would add at least one or two more representatives, so the people would have their representation on the federal level.  Eleanor Holmes Norton would be able to cast meaningful votes. 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2020, 10:11:55 AM »
Up thread the word “ilk” was used, and as sometimes happens I fixate on a word and will repeat it for most of the day.

Ilk.

Peter (Can’t get enough of ilk and elk doesn’t do it) Garrison
Pete Garrison

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2020, 10:21:38 AM »
I always liked seeing the DC license plates that had the slogan "Taxation without Representation" on them.  That always made me smile and thought that was one small way to keep history alive.

The easiest way to clear things up regarding DC and representation is to just give the land back to Maryland.  Everything that is federal can remain under federal control and the US Park Police or Capitol Police can be expanded to watch over the federal office buildings, White House, Cabinet office buildings, etc.  The residential and commercial and industrial areas can go back to Maryland.  Nothing will really change.  Maryland is already controlled by Montgomery, Prince George's, Baltimore, and Arundel counties.  DC is surrounded by Montgomery and PG counties.  Maryland would add at least one or two more representatives, so the people would have their representation on the federal level.  Eleanor Holmes Norton would be able to cast meaningful votes. 

Jeremy
That sounds to me like the best idea.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2020, 10:26:45 AM »

Why not?

Oh, I see.  Thank you.. 
So he may be in favor of renaming the capital.

David Charlton  

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2020, 11:02:17 AM »
No, I am not. But I am in favor of double checking everything when I dictate my response into this forum.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Former national staff Lutheran Church in America And the Lutheran world Federation, Geneva. Former journalist. Now retired and living in Minneapolis.

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2020, 12:30:13 PM »
No, I am not. But I am in favor of double checking everything when I dictate my response into this forum.

I think the gentleman was checking my spelling.
David Charlton  

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2020, 12:45:00 PM »
America, just got to go. It has been demonstrated that America has a long history of racism, misogyny, homophobia, and oppression of the people who were here when the Europeans arrived. All in all, is there really anything great about America?

Don't forget that America is named after an Italian navigator.  Not Columbus, thank goodness, but still an Italian interloper.

An amusing/sad aside:

For a time, DC's drivers licenses were headed "District of Columbia."  Unfortunately, a small but persistent cadre of TSA agents and others did not know what the District of Columbia was.  They thought that the DC licenses came from some foreign land.  To eliminate the resulting problems, the DC government changed its drivers licenses to say "Washington, DC."  That episode strikes me as both amusing and pathetic.

Along the same lines, many designs of the New Mexico license plates have "USA" on them.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

James J Eivan

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2020, 01:23:08 PM »

An amusing/sad aside:
Along the same lines, many designs of the New Mexico license plates have "USA" on them.
Yeah ... what a surprise that the citizens of New Mexico are proud to be citizens of the USA.

Most USA citizens are!