Author Topic: Augustana Numerology, A.D. 2020  (Read 586 times)

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Augustana Numerology, A.D. 2020
« on: June 23, 2020, 11:52:44 PM »
Preparing to celebrate the Nativity of the Prophet, Forerunner, and Baptist John on June 24 I could not help but recall that this Feast caused a delay in the adoption of the Confession of Augsburg.

That Confessional document was presented and signed on the following day, June 25, A.D. 1530.

Which makes this the 490th anniversary.

490 is the product  formed by Jesus' high bar of forgiveness, "seven times seventy times".

Perhaps there is something to be heeded and applied in these bitter and tumultuous times.

Perhaps we might spend more energies focusing on the 21 Articles held in common

Which happen to be evenly divisible by seven.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 11:55:41 PM by J. Thomas Shelley »
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Weedon

• View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: Augustana Numerology, A.D. 2020
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 09:37:09 AM »
What a beautiful post, Thomas! And, as Pastor Heath Curtis pointed out to me some years ago, in those first articles that they thought beyond dispute:

They begin with God and they end with the saints.

And the Cult of the Saints is included in the AGREEMENT section (the “nothing new to see here” section), not the areas about which disputes had arisen. Disingenuous or a recognition that the point about honoring them was more important than the dispute about invocation in the Reformers’ minds?

Pax!

« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 09:45:38 AM by Weedon »
William Weedon, Assistant Pastor
St. Paul Lutheran Church, Hamel IL
Catechist on LPR Podcast: The Word of the Lord Endures Forever
A Daily, Verse-by-Verse Bible Study with the Church, Past and Present
www.thewordendures.org

+Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 03:25:17 AM »
You are so kind, Pr. Weedon!

I find it distressing that what I consider to be a fairly significant anniversary (most anniversary years ending in 5 or 0 bear significance) has come and gone, "little noticed".

Except in this obscure discussion, and in a posting I made on LinkedIn concerning a wonderful statement issued on this anniversary day, June 25, by the Holy Synod of Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople:

https://www.goarch.org/-/ecumenical-patriarchate-communique

ECUMENICAL PATRIARCHATE

Communiqué

Between​​ June 23 - 25 2020, the Holy and Sacred Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate was convened for its regular meeting of the current month at the Orthodox Center of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Chambésy, Geneva. On the first day, the chairmen of the synodal committees were engaged in their cooperative work. Many of the Hierarchs of the Throne in Europe were present as well.

During this meeting, the Official Letters of Their Beatitiudes the Orthodox Primates that had been received thus far in response to the letter of the Ecumenical Patriarch to them of May 17th of this year, on the issue of the mode of distribution of Holy Communion that emerged after the appearance of the coronavirus pandemic, were read and discussed. It was satisfactorily determined that their opinion coincided with that of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. This consists of the following:

a) The Mystery of the Divine Eucharist is non-negotiable, because we believe that through it it is transmitted to the faithful the Body and Blood of the Savior Christ "unto the remission of sins and life eternal" and it is impossible that through this Mystery of Mysteries any disease might be communicated to those who partake. For this reason, the Church remains steadfast and immovable in its teaching towards the essence of the Mystery of Holy Communion.

b) As to the mode of distributing the ineffable Mysteries to the faithful, the Church, respecting Holy Tradition that is interwoven inextricably with the daily ecclesiastical practice and kenoitc experience, and as the guardian and vigilant watchman of those traditions handed down from the Holy Father, finds no need for a change of this mode, especially under pressure from external factors.

At the same time, the Mother Church, mindful of the special needs of Her children in the Diaspora, urges the Chief Shepherds who serve in the Diaspora that with a pastoral sensitivity, responsibility, and consciousness, to temporarily make, by economia, accommodations to problematic situations that arise from local laws of the State for the greater spiritual benefit of the Christian people, always in coordination with the Sacred Center at the Phanar.

In Geneva, 25, June 2020

From the Chief Secretariat

of the Holy and Holy Synod

I prefaced the post on LinkedIn by proposing that the declaration "The Mystery of the Divine Eucharist is non-negotiable, because we believe that through it it is transmitted to the faithful the Body and Blood of the Savior Christ 'unto the remission of sins and life eternal'" would have been met with perfect agreement between all the German princes assembled in Augsburg in 1530.

"What does this mean?"

I cannot and do not answer for others, but for me, and my household, it means that we have chosen "the better portion."
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 05:39:14 AM »
J. Thomas Shelley, the two geographical references just upstream  - the Orthodox Center in Chambésy, Switzerland, and the Phanar - bring back some fond memories of events and experiences in those places.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Interesting things on the new administration and religion in the 1/24 newspapers. Douthat column, e.g. Posted link here, but it was deleted.