Author Topic: White Fragility  (Read 14641 times)

James_Gale

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: White Fragility
« Reply #120 on: July 20, 2020, 02:58:49 PM »
Following up on the McWhorter review of White Fragility, this video uses satire to illustrate the racism at the core of "wokeness" and critical theory.  Fair warning:  Some of the language is a little crude.  Link:  When Wokes and Racists Actually Agree on Everything.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2020, 03:11:23 PM »
Following up on the McWhorter review of White Fragility, this video uses satire to illustrate the racism at the core of "wokeness" and critical theory.  Fair warning:  Some of the language is a little crude.  Link:  When Wokes and Racists Actually Agree on Everything.

That's actually pretty funny.  I'm trying to figure out where they are and which bridge they're near. 

Dave Benke

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2020, 03:18:02 PM »

That's actually pretty funny.  I'm trying to figure out where they are and which bridge they're near. 

Dave Benke

I was trying to figure that out as well.  And the accent. 

I looked up the comedian (Ryan Long) on the Google machine.  It says that he's from Toronto and currently lives in NYC.  The accent now makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:20:30 PM by James_Gale »

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2020, 03:47:08 PM »
I'm going to chew on this all night for the location - bridge, Con Ed plant, pathway along river's edge, park/playground, buildings in the background on the other side of the river are not Manhattan, and almost look like NJ - but - at the 9 second mark, it definitely looks like the 59th street bridge in the background, so - two locations?  Because the other bridge in second 28 is not the 59th street.  They are in New York, that's for sure.

Dave Benke

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 20, 2020, 05:05:59 PM »
If it was, at least in part, the 59th Street Bridge, too bad they didn't use as background the Paul Simon song for that bridge.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 20, 2020, 05:54:30 PM »
If it was, at least in part, the 59th Street Bridge, too bad they didn't use as background the Paul Simon song for that bridge.

Slow down/you're movin' too fast

Dave Benke

RevG

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2020, 10:42:15 AM »
I'm going to chew on this all night for the location - bridge, Con Ed plant, pathway along river's edge, park/playground, buildings in the background on the other side of the river are not Manhattan, and almost look like NJ - but - at the 9 second mark, it definitely looks like the 59th street bridge in the background, so - two locations?  Because the other bridge in second 28 is not the 59th street.  They are in New York, that's for sure.

Dave Benke

They move around a bit, but for most of it it looks like they're down at East River Park at Houston Street which has a great view of the Williamsburg Bridge.  We played LaSalle High School there, the fields were awful then and we were worried we might slide into some old needles or viles.  The Con Ed plant is the one at 14 st.  Jacob Riis projects are on the other side of the FDR.

Great video, saw it last night on Twitter.

Peace,
Scott+

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2020, 12:34:24 PM »

Dave Benke

They move around a bit, but for most of it it looks like they're down at East River Park at Houston Street which has a great view of the Williamsburg Bridge.  We played LaSalle High School there, the fields were awful then and we were worried we might slide into some old needles or viles.  The Con Ed plant is the one at 14 st.  Jacob Riis projects are on the other side of the FDR.

Peace,
Scott+

So then the other side of the Willy B that looked to me like New Jersey is actually Brooklyn.  It's frightening to me that I would ever mistake Brooklyn for New Jersey.  Although I'm not a hater.

Regarding the Fields of Dreams in Manhattan, when I was coaching baseball at Martin Luther we played Collegiate Prep in Central Park.  Children of privilege against the working class.  They (back then) had metal bats, and we had three wooden bats.  I asked their coach if we could borrow one of their many metal bats, and he refused.  We then sent them to a stinging defeat on their home turf.  But the baseball fields in Central Park were nice, even then.

Dave Benke

RevG

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2020, 03:26:10 PM »

Dave Benke

Peace,
Scott+

So then the other side of the Willy B that looked to me like New Jersey is actually Brooklyn.  It's frightening to me that I would ever mistake Brooklyn for New Jersey.  Although I'm not a hater.

Regarding the Fields of Dreams in Manhattan, when I was coaching baseball at Martin Luther we played Collegiate Prep in Central Park.  Children of privilege against the working class.  They (back then) had metal bats, and we had three wooden bats.  I asked their coach if we could borrow one of their many metal bats, and he refused.  We then sent them to a stinging defeat on their home turf.  But the baseball fields in Central Park were nice, even then.

Dave Benke

Nice. We played Regis (Tony Fauci's alma mater) in Central Park, I remember that the fields were surprisingly nice.

Peace,
Scott+

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2020, 08:16:21 AM »
Interesting information on the author:
https://freebeacon.com/culture/the-wages-of-woke-2/

It's like that great Demotivator Poster slogan-
"If you aren't part of the solution, there is still good money to be made as a consultant."
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 08:19:52 AM by Matt Hummel »
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2020, 05:48:05 PM »
Mollie Hemingway's dear husband recently wrote this excellent piece about the book in question:

https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/15/what-to-read-instead-of-white-fragility
For the record, Mark Hemingway had White Fragility and How To Be an Anti-Racist on his reading list.  Since you failed to mention that, leaping instead to the whole "well, they must not have read the book" trope you started on the first page of this thread, perhaps it is the case that you are guilty of what you accuse them of -- not reading what you are critiquing.
Mr Garner:  Mr Hemingway further discusses the material you reference in this podcast

ANTI-RACISM AND THE BOOKS, “WHITE FRAGILITY” AND “HOW TO BE AN ANTI-RACIST” – MARK HEMINGWAY

https://issuesetc.org/2020/07/16/1981-anti-racism-and-the-books-white-fragility-and-how-to-be-an-anti-racist-mark-hemingway-7-16-20/

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2020, 02:46:59 PM »
Ed Stetzer, and a group of ten Evangelical writers, will be discussing aspects of this book on the Christianity Today website. Should be an interesting discussion.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/edstetzer/2020/july/white-fragility-conversation-on-race-and-racism.html
The truth we preach is not an abstract thing. The truth is a Person. The goodness we preach is not an ideal quality. The goodness is Someone who is good. The love we preach is God himself in Christ. --H. Grady Davis

DeHall1

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2020, 02:42:24 PM »
Dr. Stanley K. Ridgley ( Assistant Professor in the Department of Management at Drexel University) has some interesting things to say regarding Robin DiAngelo's UW dissertation, which became the basis for "White Fragility".

You can read it here:

https://www.mindingthecampus.org/2020/07/29/minute-14-for-robin-diangelo/

Coach-Rev

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Rev. Jeff Cottingham, STS
    • View Profile
    • Trinity Lutheran Church
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2020, 10:19:25 AM »
Dr. Stanley K. Ridgley ( Assistant Professor in the Department of Management at Drexel University) has some interesting things to say regarding Robin DiAngelo's UW dissertation, which became the basis for "White Fragility".

You can read it here:

fascinating read.  Glad to know that there are those out there who can still think critically and analytically.  Seems also to confirm once again the extreme liberal bias on campuses across the nation.

If I want to learn more about race and racial relations, I'll still defer to Dr. Thomas Sowell, and especially his book "Race and Culture."
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

blog:  http://coach-rev.blogspot.com/
photography:  https://jeffcottingham.smugmug.com/

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2020, 01:20:51 PM »

You can read it here:

Thanks for this!

First, we Lutherans are at the top of the heap when it comes to the originator and self-flagellation.   Luther was worried about sin, today we are to be worried about being white, which is then construed as sinful per se.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Second, the bad research project gone to seed eventuating a multi-million dollar book deal is a nice American success story, no?  Rooting for capitalism all the way!  The other guy who was kind of bizarre and punted around for whackiness for a long time and made it big in the 20th century was Marx.  Unfortunately for him, he didn't get the dinero. 

Dave Benke