Author Topic: Lutherdom Has Become the Sleeping Pygmy  (Read 4836 times)

David Mahsman

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lutherdom Has Become the Sleeping Pygmy
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2020, 01:00:58 PM »
I don't remember Jackson but I do remember a LaMarr Blecker?  Could that be of whom you are thinking? 

Jeremy

LaMarr Blecker and David Becker are two different people. Herman Otten published quite a few pieces by David Becker.

James J Eivan

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2020, 01:02:18 PM »
Because sometimes you have to call a nut a nut. And in most of those cases everyone with common sense knows you are right to do so.
For example, what else would you call the person with that “Ichabod” blog?
Missing the point ... the ‘person’ is not the issue ... nor should the ‘person’ be the focal point of the discussion.

‘Calling’ the person something places the focus on the person ... not where it be ... on the thoughts expressed ... refute the idea ... do not evade the issue by focusing on the person.

Mindless banter attacks and focuses on the person.  Respect and thought is necessary when addressing thought.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2020, 01:08:19 PM »
Because sometimes you have to call a nut a nut. And in most of those cases everyone with common sense knows you are right to do so.
Missing the point ... the ‘person’ is not the issue ... nor should the ‘person’ be the focal point of the discussion.

‘Calling’ the person something places the focus on the person ... not where it be ... on the thoughts expressed ... refute the idea ... do not evade the issue by focusing on the person.

Mindless banter attacks and focuses on the person.  Respect and thought is necessary when addressing thought.
You are both right. I dismissed it as a stupid blog post without any knowledge whatsoever of whose blog post it was. So you’re right, the source isn’t the issue, and Charles is right that it is a silly post.

Pr. Don Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2020, 01:11:59 PM »

A Christian with whom you strongly disagree?

Matthew 5:22 ESV
"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire."

Proverbs 29:9-11 ESV[emphasis added]
"If a wise man has an argument with a fool, the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet. Bloodthirsty men hate one who is blameless and seek the life of the upright. A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back."
Pr. Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2020, 01:51:43 PM »
I don't remember Jackson but I do remember a LaMarr Blecker?  Could that be of whom you are thinking? 

Jeremy

LaMarr Blecker and David Becker are two different people. Herman Otten published quite a few pieces by David Becker.

He published many articles by all three back in the day: LeMarr Blecker, David Becker, and Greg Jackson.
These are things that we can discuss among learned and reasonable people, or even among ourselves. (Luther, SA III, paraphrased).

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2020, 02:02:21 PM »

"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire."

"If a wise man has an argument with a fool, the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet. Bloodthirsty men hate one who is blameless and seek the life of the upright. A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back."

Charles and I have had our share of disagreements, but I've got to side with him on this one. Back in 90s/early 2000s, Jackson and I both took part on Lutherquest. Instead of trying to discuss something, he was always on the attack with full throated fury. Many of his arguments made little sense and he would throw out quotations were not germane to the discussion. Eventually, Jack Cascione took away his posting privileges because of his behavior.

Let me put it this way: in comparison to Greg Jackson's invective, Charles is a kitten and Brian's ramblings are the epitome of careful thought and logic.
These are things that we can discuss among learned and reasonable people, or even among ourselves. (Luther, SA III, paraphrased).

passerby

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2020, 02:08:54 PM »

Jeremy
Yes, David Becker was a regular columnist in Christian News, not so much commenting as much as citing other sources showing "apostasy" in Lutheranism and other Christian bodies.

Pr. Don Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2020, 02:18:57 PM »

Charles and I have had our share of disagreements, but I've got to side with him on this one. Back in 90s/early 2000s, Jackson and I both took part on Lutherquest. Instead of trying to discuss something, he was always on the attack with full throated fury. Many of his arguments made little sense and he would throw out quotations were not germane to the discussion. Eventually, Jack Cascione took away his posting privileges because of his behavior.

Let me put it this way: in comparison to Greg Jackson's invective, Charles is a kitten and Brian's ramblings are the epitome of careful thought and logic.

LOL! Okay, I stand corrected.   ;)  Never met the guy, but I know he certainly latched on to the Darwin Schauer incident!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 02:30:43 PM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Pr. Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2020, 02:55:40 PM »
Personal reflections:

This Forum is, and should be, open to all persons interested in discussing what it means to be a member of the Evangelical Catholic Church, when and wherever She exists as the Mother of us all. LeMarr Blecker, David Becker, and Greg Jackson have every right to be a part of this Forum.

From my perspective  articles they wrote for Christian News expressed an understanding of the Church that was foreign to my LCMS heritage. They certainly were not consistent with how I understood the mission of ALPB as a voice for Lutheranism in America.

My brother, the editor of Christian News, had many positive characteristics.  The many shared experiences of our children contributed to a bond that remained until the time of his death. The last time I saw Herman he showed me wall hangings in his Christian News office that I had made for him.  The man who referred to Marie Meyer in CN as a radical feminist associated with the ALPB, was the brother with whom I shared a bond of sibling love. At the same time I was deeply troubled by how CN perpetuated an understanding of the Church Catholic that I regarded inconsistent with the Scriptures and the Lutheran Confessions.  The CN articles by Blecker, Becker and Johnson were consistent with how my brother understood what it means to be a Lutheran.

I will comment nothing further on this thread.

Marie Meyer

GregoryLJackson

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2020, 09:18:04 PM »
It appears that the active people on this site are intolerant and insulting toward anyone to the right of Nadia Bolz-Weber. The comments have provided a lot of laughs out here "in the garage." At least Paul McCain accurately portrayed it as "a spare room in a rented home," stumbling over the Bethlehem motif.

When I met Marie Meyer, my name was still Jackson. Meyer is quite wrong that I agreed with her brother. Another person suggested a distinct honor - that I was banned from the LutherQuest (sic) site. I simply agreed with a pastoral friend that LQ (sic) was a pathetic waste of time.

DP.2 Benke did not know the cost of LCMS seminaries when I posted them, years ago, after careful research compiled by an alumnus. "Are these numbers real?" he asked. He summed up the Missouri DPs in one, oblivious question.

Austin seemed to feel especially energized by "Lutheran discussions on the Internet sound like a group of elderly men dosing off as they sip their Ovaltine." His wit and insights continue to be dazzling.
[/size]
[/size]Our group is small, comprised of those who agree with the Augsburg Confession. We have many media ministries, a world mission post, equally humble, and a growing number of participants. Since the ELCA-WELS-LCMS-ELS combine is melting faster than a July frost, you might want to ask why we are moving in the opposite direction from the Thrivent-funded combine.
[/size]
[/size]I seldom post here but I will continue to cherish your examples of getting along with others, getting the facts straight, and honoring the Chief Article of Christendom.

B Hughes

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2020, 10:09:45 PM »

That has to be one of the most pointless blog posts I've ever linked to.

Well, the website design is right out of 1992 so not sure he spends much time on the net.

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2020, 08:10:29 AM »
It appears that the active people on this site are intolerant and insulting toward anyone to the right of Nadia Bolz-Weber.

Oh, that's a hoot!
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2020, 09:36:43 AM »
It appears that the active people on this site are intolerant and insulting toward anyone to the right of Nadia Bolz-Weber.

Oh, that's a hoot!

As an "active participant on this site" I have to say, "wow!"  Anyone who knows me and reads what I write will attest that I am quite conservative, theologically and socially, and like many here are hardly "intolerant and insulting".  Guess I don't know what this writer wishes us to do.  Lost on this one. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2020, 10:57:11 AM »
getting along with others, getting the facts straight, and honoring the Chief Article of Christendom.

Several things about this author:

1) The aims of the quotation seem fair - getting along and getting facts straight.
2) He uses his own name - GregoryLJackson.  He is not a meme or trope.  He's no Pseudonymo.  He is who he says he is.
3) He highlights the honoring of the Chief Article of Christendom, which is Justification by Faith.  Nothing wrong with that. 

The comment about Nadia Bolz-Weber is well to the right of the right-field foul pole, not a line shot but a dribbler.

Dave Benke

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2020, 06:17:54 PM »
The Lutheran World Federation has reported on the first phase of an international study of Lutheran identity.
The report from that first phase and some information on what participants found and what lies ahead is now available.
Here is the link to the 20-page PDF.
https://www.lutheranworld.org/content/resource-lutheran-identity-study-process-phase-1-addis-consultation
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Twice-vaccinated.