Author Topic: The End of the NYT  (Read 12709 times)

Mark Brown

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Pastor, St. Mark Lutheran, West Henrietta, NY
    • View Profile
    • Saint Mark's Website
The End of the NYT
« on: June 07, 2020, 08:04:58 PM »
I'd love to know the answers to a few questions by our resident journalist.

Charles,
1) What do you think of the forced resignation of the NYT editorial page editor over an Op-Ed by a Sitting US Senator sought after by the NYT expressing an opinion that 65% of the American public agreed with? (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/07/business/media/james-bennet-resigns-nytimes-op-ed.html) Is this the action of a real newspaper?

2) What do you think of the tactics of the "editorial page staff" to demand his firing and essentially the end of his career over this?  Is making people unemployable acceptable?

3) Why should anyone to the right of Mao bother to talk with or read the NYT in the future?

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The End of the NYT
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 08:14:51 PM »
I don’t think this ended anyone’s career. It ended his tenure at the NYT. But it looks increasingly like that will prove a feather in his cap within a few years, as the NYT becomes a caricature of itself and real journalism goes elsewhere.

Mark Brown

• View Profile
    • Saint Mark's Website
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 08:24:59 PM »
I don’t think this ended anyone’s career. It ended his tenure at the NYT. But it looks increasingly like that will prove a feather in his cap within a few years, as the NYT becomes a caricature of itself and real journalism goes elsewhere.

In a fair world, when the current fever on the left breaks, I might agree with you.  But it is the youngsters that are the Robespierres.  And if the NYT can't hire you because you have become a political pariah, and the right leaning press has no great impetus to hire a former NYT's editor, who exactly is going to hire him?

This is the most evil part about these Jacobins that the useful idiots are handing these institutions over to.  So many of them are trustfund-istas, and they think nothing of removing a man's livelihood. Hell, they do it to nobodies.  Remember the ur-case of that poor woman who made a joke, got on a plane and when she got off found out she'd been fired over twitter?

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 10:12:45 PM »
From what I read of the situation, it appears that the piece appeared without proper editorial review. That might well have led to the resignation of the op Ed page editor, who may have been remiss in his duties.
Apart from that, a newspaper, like any other large business, is a community. The community has its ways of doing things, and ways of responding to particular situations. If leaders do things which anger or irritate or Perhaps endanger the community as a whole or major segments of it, there may be a price to pay.
A final comment, maybe just a personal one. Newspapers are not obligated to print every idea, or treat every idea as either worth printing or equal to every other idea.
That’s not censorship, that Is freedom of the press and business.
Personally, I thought the Cotton article stupid and not the kind of ideas that should be spread around In any publication that I had anything to do with. I have no doubt he would find somebody willing to print it.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 10:36:17 PM »
From the paper itself (my emphasis added):
 James Bennet resigned on Sunday from his job as the editorial page editor of The New York Times, days after the newspaper’s opinion section, which he oversaw, published a much-criticized Op-Ed by a United States senator calling for a military response to civic unrest in American cities.
“Last week we saw a significant breakdown in our editing processes, not the first we’ve experienced in recent years,” said A. G. Sulzberger, the publisher, in a note to the staff on Sunday announcing Mr. Bennet’s departure.
In a brief interview, Mr. Sulzberger added: “Both of us concluded that James would not be able to lead the team through the next leg of change that is required.”
At an all-staff virtual meeting on Friday, Mr. Bennet, 54, apologized for the Op-Ed, saying that it should not have been published and that it had not been edited carefully enough. An editors’ note posted late Friday noted factual inaccuracies and a “needlessly harsh” tone. “The essay fell short of our standards and should not have been published,” the note said.

I comment:
The article goes on to note several other relatively recent Problems with the op-Ed page under the leadership of this editor.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 10:45:10 PM »
There is no official party line you’re not credulous to swallow, is there. Read Sulzberger’s series of statements. Read any documented sequence of events. The crap you’re posting here, Charles, is pure Central Committee cya nonsense. You simply refuse to familiarize yourself with contrary views with far better documentation.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 11:07:13 PM »
Tell me what those countrary views are, Peter. Tell me with who in The New York Times community thinks it was a bad idea. A leader losers the support of his staff and his bosses, what should happen?
And what far better documentation do you have in the situation? I’d like to see it.

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 12:30:40 AM »
Apart from that, a newspaper, like any other large business, is a community.

Well, no, a business enterprise is not a community.  But this attitude may help explain the disconnect between those "in" and all those deplorables who are "out."

The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 12:54:54 AM »
I worked for three newspapers, Steven. They are communities of people engaged in a single effort. In many ways they care about each other and feel that they are bonded together by their “mission.“

James J Eivan

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 01:20:53 AM »
I worked for three newspapers, Steven. They are communities of people engaged in a single effort. In many ways they care about each other and feel that they are bonded together by their “mission.“
Tragically the ‘mission’ often does not include the truth ... as has often been pointed out on various forum threads.😖

Mark Brown

• View Profile
    • Saint Mark's Website
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 01:43:28 AM »
There is no official party line you’re not credulous to swallow, is there. Read Sulzberger’s series of statements. Read any documented sequence of events. The crap you’re posting here, Charles, is pure Central Committee cya nonsense. You simply refuse to familiarize yourself with contrary views with far better documentation.

This, so much this.  It staggers the mind the depths of hackery.

Anybody that is not on the payroll at this point should mark it well.  You have a choice and you know.  You can't claim ignorance anymore.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 05:02:49 AM »
Maybe, Mark Brown, you have evidence of the newspaper’s alleged atrocities in this case. I would like to see it.
But it’s a “nice” distraction cooked up here. Never mind whether any of the worries about the Cotton rant are true; just focus on the fact that they were made at all.
Let’s say an LCMS Vice President  wrote an article in Lutheran Witness Reporter saying it’s time to force every district to discuss the ordination of women and if a district refused to do it, he would send in people from St.Louis to have the discussion any way. What do you think would happen to the editor?
But we are already sticking our twitchy noses and long ears into the rabbit hole. If that newspaper published one article a week like the one in question, people here would still hate it and heap scorn on anyone who defends it.

Voelker

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 09:07:32 AM »
The trust-fund Maoists behind these shenanigans have no idea what's going to happen to them if the side they've chosen wins. Reaping the whirlwind, and all that.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 09:24:50 AM »
Maybe, Mark Brown, you have evidence of the newspaper’s alleged atrocities in this case. I would like to see it.
But it’s a “nice” distraction cooked up here. Never mind whether any of the worries about the Cotton rant are true; just focus on the fact that they were made at all.
Let’s say an LCMS Vice President  wrote an article in Lutheran Witness Reporter saying it’s time to force every district to discuss the ordination of women and if a district refused to do it, he would send in people from St.Louis to have the discussion any way. What do you think would happen to the editor?
But we are already sticking our twitchy noses and long ears into the rabbit hole. If that newspaper published one article a week like the one in question, people here would still hate it and heap scorn on anyone who defends it.
You are describing the NYT, not us. Don’t focus on what Cotton said, focus on the fact that he was allowed to say it. That’s what made heads roll at NTY and eyes roll everywhere else.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 09:26:23 AM »
“Trust fund Maoists” !
Now, WJV, what do you think people would say if I were to refer to Trump supporters as “trailer park rednecks”?
Well, Don’t worry. You will get away with your words.
Good grief!