Author Topic: The End of the NYT  (Read 12715 times)

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
Re: The End of the NYT
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2020, 12:45:35 PM »
Here's another reason why the Gray Lady should, to use my daughter's quaint expression, go dig a hole and die in it: https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/undeserved-derision-from-the-new-york-times/

During the early part of the Corona outbreak in DE, the Little Sisters of the Poor were heroic in their treatment of the residents of their care facilities.

Obama just wanted to beat the political crap out of the Catholic Church in his push for socialized medicine. Typical tough cop behavior. Find the biggest jabrony on the corner. Beat him down just to show you can, and let the weaker know who's the boss. And Biden, Pelosi, and others were complicit.

And Biden brags that he will continue in his former boss'  bullying tactics. Well thanks for the warning Joe.

Nobody should mess with women religious, most particularly the Little Sisters of the Poor and anyone connected to St. Cabrini, the saint patroness of immigrants.  Without question she would not have been a fan of the Trump immigration malarkey, having devoted her life in these United States and across the world to assisting immigrants. 

Which makes your point.  This smackdown of the Little Sisters of the Poor is done for ideological reasons not even connected to Trump, but to eliminate the option now declared to be Okeydokey by the Supreme Court.  Good for them.

Back in the day in Brooklyn, when on ecumenical retreat, the ecumenical clergy, of all races/backgrounds including me, would opine that it was impossible to minister in certain NYCHA housing projects - just way, way too dangerous.  Let them come out of the projects, and then we can meet them.   

Upon which commentary the women religious said, "Are you talking about X Project?  We go in there every day to bring food and prayers.  It's just hard climbing the stairs because the elevators don't work, but we can't let that get in the way, so we get some of the kids to help us carry the food." 

Oh - you mean actually doing the work of the Gospel.  We the clergy were looking at our shoes for the rest of that retreat.  Humbled.

One of the sisters at the Catholic church down the block had the parish car stolen.  Within a week or so, the police found it, gave it back to her, received her grateful thanks since she used it to visit the sick and poor.  Then she opened the trunk.  Dead guy in trunk.  She got another car.  Kept on doing the work of the Gospel.

Dave Benke

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2020, 12:57:48 PM »
As a son of the NY area, I read:

"One of the sisters at the Catholic church down the block had the parish car stolen.  Within a week or so, the police found it, gave it back to her, received her grateful thanks since she used it to visit the sick and poor.  Then she opened the trunk.  Dead guy in trunk.  She got another car.  Kept on doing the work of the Gospel."

And had to wonder, was it the perp who stole the car? Because I can see certain elements of the criminal community wanting to say "sorry,"  and make a point that Sister's wheels are off limits. Would that the Democrats and their media mouthpieces had the decency of common street thugs.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:03:51 PM by Matt Hummel »
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2020, 01:21:31 PM »

"One of the sisters at the Catholic church down the block had the parish car stolen.  Within a week or so, the police found it, gave it back to her, received her grateful thanks since she used it to visit the sick and poor.  Then she opened the trunk.  Dead guy in trunk.  She got another car.  Kept on doing the work of the Gospel."

And had to wonder, was it the perp who stole the car? Because I can see certain elements of the criminal community wanting to say "sorry,"  and make a point that Sister's wheels are off limits. Would that the Democrats and their media mouthpieces had the decency of common street thugs.

That's one of two possibilities, and a good answer! 
The other is that whoever took the wheels didn't know it was the Parish car, or they never would have taken it in the first place.   

To complete the thought, if you remember that part of southern East New York, there's a street called Fountain Avenue, which was used by night as a major league drag strip - car racing for bucks - which ended in the landfill at Jamaica Bay.  The landfill area was where they dumped the bodies.  "They" meaning the group who ruled one community over in Ozone Park/Howard Beach.   And that group would have been completely mortified to have stolen a nun's car.  Which leads to your conclusion that the thief could have received a death sentence upon examination of the personalized rosary beads attached to the rear view mirror of the stolen wheels.  How many centuries of purgatory would the theft of a nun's car rack up?

Dave Benke

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2020, 01:43:13 PM »

The other is that whoever took the wheels didn't know it was the Parish car, or they never would have taken it in the first place.   

To complete the thought, if you remember that part of southern East New York, there's a street called Fountain Avenue, which was used by night as a major league drag strip - car racing for bucks - which ended in the landfill at Jamaica Bay.  The landfill area was where they dumped the bodies.  "They" meaning the group who ruled one community over in Ozone Park/Howard Beach.   And that group would have been completely mortified to have stolen a nun's car.  Which leads to your conclusion that the thief could have received a death sentence upon examination of the personalized rosary beads attached to the rear view mirror of the stolen wheels.  How many centuries of purgatory would the theft of a nun's car rack up?

Dave Benke

Fuhgeddaboutit. Youse would be sweating to the oldies long after Luther had completed his laps...  ;)
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2020, 01:53:18 PM »

Dave Benke

A favorite story of mine from DE involved my car- a red, 4 door Ford Focus.  Nothing fancy, but it had nice tires/wheels, and an awesome stereo.  (We inherited it from my wife's grandfather, who liked music.)  There was a young woman named Rita who had a hard life.  Some of the hardship was her doing, some of it was not.  She was married to an African American.  Her parents didn't like that.  Cut off ties.  Children entered the picture.  But there was drugs, poverty, job after job after job, no reliable transportation, unsteady housing situations.  She'd go silent for months, then out of the blue call me with a need.  It usually involved diapers and food for the kids, which is an easy lure for me to bite at.  For a while she lived in a bad part of Wilmington.  (Redundant, I know)  I had a box of diapers, some pedialyte, some other food items.  I park my car on the street, get the boxes out of the trunk and a guy notices the box of diapers from Target.  "You taking that shit to Rita, Father?"  "Uh...yeah."  "That's nice of you.  Her kids need some help."  "I know.  I'm glad that I can give them a little something."  "I'll watch your car for you Father.  No charge."  Then he proceeds to walk over and sit on the hood of my car.  His gun is clearly visible in the waistband of his pants.  I was in Rita's place maybe 15 minutes.  When I come back, the guy gets off my car, takes the towel from around his neck and wipes off the spot where he was sitting.  "You know no one messed with your car Father."  "I was never worried my friend."  I shook his hand and left.

Now when I go some place in KC and a church member talks about it being a bad spot of town, I wonder what their definition of bad is.  And I wonder who takes care of Rita and her kids these days? 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2020, 01:56:20 PM »
Actually, all joking aside, this is my take:

They (The Little Sisters of the Poor) scare people. And what people fear they hate. They fear the lived example of a life given over totally to the Father through Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit.

People like Gail Collins fear the lives lived without pursuit of the material, or power, or the scratching of the latest libidinous itch.

Holiness is palpable. Holiness is powerful, and to people like Collins, holiness is therefore terrifying.

Then there are those like me who pray for the smallest measure of what these women have, that we might begin to follow Christ as  they have.
Matt Hummel

― J.R.R. Tolkien