Author Topic: Singing in Church  (Read 3213 times)

Steven W Bohler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Singing in Church
« on: June 07, 2020, 05:56:02 PM »
We began holding public services again on May 31.  The last two weeks, we have spoken the liturgy and only used two hymns (to open and close the service) because of a concern about singing as a means of spreading the COVID-19 virus.  But I, and others, miss the singing.  So, my questions are: how many of you holding public services are singing?  Have you made concessions in that area?  How many hymns?  Speaking the liturgy?  Any feedback from members?

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Singing in Church
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 06:08:45 PM »
We’re singing.

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 06:22:49 PM »
We held our first service in the church today. We did what you are doing, Steve. We are taking it slowly and are asking people to be patient. We have several MDs and nurses in our congregation (plus a cancer researcher at Dana Farber and several who work in the biotech field). We are leaning on their knowledge to guide us.

I will say that another LCMS church has gone full bore with singing hymns and liturgy. But they have better ventilation than we do. They have had two weeks of services and have said it is working well for them so far.

I would say that you have to look at your congregation and your building and make your own judgment. But I'd err on the side of caution.
The truth we preach is not an abstract thing. The truth is a Person. The goodness we preach is not an ideal quality. The goodness is Someone who is good. The love we preach is God himself in Christ. --H. Grady Davis

RDPreus

• View Profile
    • Christ For Us
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 06:35:50 PM »
We're singing.

Rob Morris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 06:37:09 PM »
We never stopped holding services, and never stopped singing. Zero cases thus far, thanks be to God! One of my elders is a world renowned pulmonologist who specializes in untreatable respiratory diseases. He wasn’t convinced of the studies that were saying the virus could spread 20 or 30 feet when singing. That said, I have had to help shepherd some people through borderline anxiety attacks even when coming for private communion. There is still a lot of fear and legitimate concern. Each pastor and leadership team, with prayer, can make their own decision as to what is best in their context.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 06:40:35 PM »
Well, when Beloved Spouse and I "attend" worship on television, I literally have tears in my eyes as I quietly sing along with the hymns and when I look at videos of groups I have sung with.
But, believing what I understand is responsible "science" (Oh No! Not Science!) I do not think I would want to be singing in church right now. Maybe later. Maybe the scientists will discover some new information. I hope so. I'm listening. And we can watch all those places that are singing to see what happens in those communities three or four weeks from now.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Article coming up in Lutheran Forum journal. Now would be a good time to subscribe.
😉

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 07:15:25 PM »
Isn't too bad that Charles is the only one who respects science around here. The rest of us hear science and run screaming for the hills. Charles knows that science has proven that singing during this pandemic is extremely dangerous, too bad not all of the scientists have learned that. But Charles has heard that so it must b e, OH NO, SCIENCE.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 07:25:38 PM »
I think it is fair to say that science is somewhat divided on the risk from singing in church.  I certainly have not read everything reported on this, but I have read some work that concluded singing did not pose a significant danger due to the aerosol spread of what comes from a person's mouth.  One example:
https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/2020/5-june/news/uk/singing-might-not-be-so-great-a-risk-after-all?fbclid=IwAR39wByPnkxG4ihV6k12HUvuMgnmhHA0qmut5A-xrvo5MvRO88j7iIiHeUA#.XtnSzTKO2FQ.facebook

Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 07:39:12 PM »
During my most recent visit to the Virginia capes I was told "If you don't like the weather, wait fifteen minutes and it will be different."

If you don't like the science, wait fifteen minutes and the "conclusions"  will be different.

Mask or no mask?

Sing or don't sing?

Wait fifteen minutes.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

James J Eivan

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 07:48:32 PM »
Well, when Beloved Spouse and I "attend" worship on television, I literally have tears in my eyes as I quietly sing along with the hymns and when I look at videos of groups I have sung with.
But, believing what I understand is responsible "science" (Oh No! Not Science!) I do not think I would want to be singing in church right now. Maybe later. Maybe the scientists will discover some new information. I hope so. I'm listening. And we can watch all those places that are singing to see what happens in those communities three or four weeks from now.
Perhaps Rev Austin is the most tolerant forum member....NOT!

Why is it that all forum members, when speaking of their worship experiences, spoke of caution... and respect for those who have  not yet returned to worship  ... EXCEPT Rev Austin ... His boorish self serving snarky behavior is unable to respect the respect other forum members have expressed.   

I'm thankful that I was blessed with the privilege of attending the final mini communion service limited to 30 in a 500 seat sanctuary.   Pastor and elders masked as pastor consecrated the element ... pastor gloved as he placed the Lord's Body in my cuped hands ...individual cups in trays adequately spaced served in the pews ... three empty pews in front and in back of me ...no singing what so ever.

Thankful for the privilege of attending the service ... praying for the day that all can return and worship together.

As Christians,  can we expect any less?

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 07:50:34 PM »
I'm very concerned about this specific topic - and I think we have a way, if we can have say 50 people in the sanctuary, to have the folks sing in the way they enjoy, which is full-throated with tambo and moving around.  It's actually part of our return to operations plan, because it's that important.  As in the Lutheran tradition it should be.

Dave Benke

Mark Brown

• Pastor, St. Mark Lutheran, West Henrietta, NY
    • View Profile
    • Saint Mark's Website
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 08:16:14 PM »
We never really stopped, just multiplied services and shrunk each one.  But we've been back together and singing since May 17th.  I limited the stanzas that first week, but after that not.  Trinity Sunday today was particularly robust.  Even though I'd say half of our attendance is still online, we sounded like a full church today.

Now we don't have choir which requires sitting much closer together.  But I think the spreading out amongst the pews actually helps.  Instead of a concentrated mob of people in the back three pews singing at the level that group finds good, spread out I think has everyone singing a bit more.  As long as I'm sure to put my mic on mute before, because no one wants to hear me leading song.  Those poor people online when I forget.

James J Eivan

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 08:21:55 PM »
I'm very concerned about this specific topic - and I think we have a way, if we can have say 50 people in the sanctuary, to have the folks sing in the way they enjoy, which is full-throated with tambo and moving around.  It's actually part of our return to operations plan, because it's that important.  As in the Lutheran tradition it should be.

Dave Benke
Rev Benke ... I too missed the signing today's mini communion service of less than 30 in a sanctuary that seats 500.  While I would have preferred singing,  the pastor and elders decided differently.
May God bless you and your leadership as your decision.

About my only thought ... singing is important ... but receiving the Body and Blood of our Lord is more important than singing I think all would agree.  Since there is  conflicting thought on singing, sensitivity to that subject may be necessary if the primary goal is that as many members as possible receive our Lord’s Body and Blood to strengthen them to life every lasting.  God's blessing as the decision is made.

wmattsfield

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 08:33:12 PM »
We had 32 in church today - with singing - even chanted the liturgy.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2020, 09:10:37 PM »
My thinking now is that we will continue speaking the liturgy for the next couple of weeks but maybe add a hymn or two, and see where that takes us.