Author Topic: Candace Owens video. Thoughts?  (Read 6748 times)

Steven Tibbetts

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
Re: Candace Owens video. Thoughts?
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2020, 08:41:56 PM »
For a long time I gave the president the benefit of the doubt even though I did not support him.

Gee, it might have been nice if you had shown that once or twice on this forum.

Or is this another of your whimsical comments?

Fraternally, Steven+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Weedon

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2020, 08:54:08 PM »
What Steven said. Never seen the first evidence of it.

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2020, 11:11:47 PM »
This might explain why I heard snippets of Trump talking about jobs numbers and not having those remarks overshadowed by an aside about Floyd.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/matt-margolis/2020/06/05/fake-news-media-falsely-claim-trump-invoked-george-floyd-when-discussing-jobs-report-n500781

“Equal justice under the law must mean that every American receives equal treatment in every encounter with law enforcement regardless of race, color, gender, or creed. They have to share fair treatment from law enforcement. They have to receive it,” Trump said. “We all saw what happened last week. We can’t let that happen. Hopefully, George is looking down right now and saying ‘this is a great thing that’s happening for our country.’ It’s a great day for him. It’s a great day for everybody. This is a great day for everybody. This is a great, great day in terms of equality.”

You're right. I went and listened to the whole speech and while there was just the one reference to Mr. Floyd at the beginning, and it came right after the President's basking in the unemployment statistics, he did not connect the two.

But why did the President think that Mr. Floyd in heaven would be "looking down right now and saying ‘this is a great thing that’s happening for our country.’ It’s a great day for him. It’s a great day for everybody. This is a great day for everybody. This is a great, great day in terms of equality.” Was it the worldwide protests? Was it some societal or legal change that in fact brought about equality in America?

What did the President mean by saying, "It’s a great day for him"? It wasn't that white unemployment was going down, so what was it?

President Trump had moved on from talking about the economy to talking about the need for equal justice.  He at that point was pretty clearly talking about and indeed praising the protests.  It was in the context of discussing the protests for equal justice that Trump said that it was a great day for Mr. Floyd.

President Trump is all too often crude and graceless.  But the lies trafficked by the Washington Post and other unscrupulous media outlets also are at least as crude and graceless.
In other words, the President was  describing the worldwide protests (including the ones in this country) as the great day for Mr. Floyd and for everybody, because they were doing so much for equality?

That seems to be what you're saying. It takes me aback, because the President has never showed enthusiasm for protests before (unless they were part of his campaign rallies, or directed against Democrats like Governor Whitmer of Michigan). He certainly appeared to be vigorously opposed to the rallies that were taking place at the time of his speech.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

James J Eivan

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2020, 12:04:19 AM »
What part of “dark humor joke” is hard for you to understand, James?
All of it, I guess. Ask a 12-year old to explain it to you before you start hurling around words like “moral deviancy”.
Good grief!
I wouldn’t dare expose a 12 year old to that tripe ... my guess is in some locales words such as that would be considered too indecent for a 12 year old ... but carry on .. 😞

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2020, 06:11:19 AM »
Larry Fitzgerald, Jr. writes a loving, positive, hopeful, yet honest and pained view of Minneapolis and the United States as an African-American man who grew up in the midwestern City. He’s a wide receiver for the Arizona Cardinals and was selected for the Pro Bowl 11 times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/07/sports/football/george-floyd-nfl-players-fitzgerald.html
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Article coming up in Lutheran Forum journal. Now would be a good time to subscribe.
😉

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2020, 08:38:09 AM »
Larry Fitzgerald, Jr. writes a loving, positive, hopeful, yet honest and pained view of Minneapolis and the United States as an African-American man who grew up in the midwestern City. He’s a wide receiver for the Arizona Cardinals and was selected for the Pro Bowl 11 times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/07/sports/football/george-floyd-nfl-players-fitzgerald.html
Great article. Even though Fitzgerald has personally been responsible for two heartbreaking, overtime playoff losses for the Packers, he is someone I’ve never heard any fan of any team have anything negative to say about. I think his point about comparing things to an intimate relationship, and people getting hurtful with each other when they don’t feel they’re being listened to or understood is worth pondering. And it is a hopeful analogy because it hinges on the fact that hurt isn’t caused by a broken relationship entirely but by broken communication with it.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2020, 01:04:05 PM »
At the same time the NYT times was desperately apologizing for publishing an op-ed by Senator Cotton, they were also publishing an op-ed by Chad Sanders, a black man who advises his white friends to send money to various progressive causes and texts for the following purpose:

Texts: To your relatives and loved ones telling them you will not be visiting them or answering phone calls until they take significant action in supporting black lives either through protest or financial contributions.

Finally, an idea everyone can get behind! If you have relatives whose socio-political views are more important to them than you are, they are almost assuredly the very same relatives you've been wishing would leave you alone anyway. With this advice, everybody wins. In fact, I think radio stations should run this columnist's advice as a public service. I'll bet everyone from Rush Limbaugh to NPR would gladly air it.

"Are you the sort of person who takes seriously the annual advice you get about how to endure your relatives over Thanksgiving dinner, blissfully unaware that you are the only one at the table being patiently endured? Are you related to people who show no interest in sanctimonious neo-Marxist theory no matter how often you bring it up? Do you dutifully change your facebook profile pic to whatever the official cause du jour is only to look on aghast that so many of your relatives are leaving theirs the same as it was, as though their wedding were more important than societal change? Do you support Colin Kaepernick despite not having had any idea who he was until he started protesting the National Anthem, but find your relatives would rather talk about football? Well, you've suffered, and been suffered, long enough! Please, for the sake of public safety, sanity, and the future of America, stop talking! It's that simple! Let your unwoke relations sleep on rather than forcing them to pretend to care about your deconstructionist Utopian ideals just to maintain a relationship with you. If you've been looking for some concrete step you personally can take to improve society, and if you are a PC culture warrior tired of battling your family, by all means, do yourself and everyone in your life a favor and reserve the privilege of interacting with you to those who pass your socio-political litmus test." This message brought to you by literally everyone.       
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:00:03 PM by peter_speckhard »

James J Eivan

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2020, 02:44:04 PM »
At the same time the NYT times was desperately apologizing for publishing an op-ed by Senator Cotton, they were also publishing an op-ed by Chad Sanders, and black man who advises his white friends to send money to various progressive causes and texts for the following purpose:

Texts: To your relatives and loved ones telling them you will not be visiting them or answering phone calls until they take significant action in supporting black lives either through protest or financial contributions.

Finally, an idea everyone can get behind! If you have relatives whose socio-political views are more important to them than you are, they are almost assuredly the very same relatives you've been wishing would leave you alone anyway. With this advice, everybody wins. In fact, I think radio stations should run this columnist's advice as a public service. I'll bet everyone from Rush Limbaugh to NPR would gladly air it.

"Are you the sort of person who takes seriously the annual advice you get about how to endure your relatives over Thanksgiving dinner, blissfully unaware that you are the only one at the table being patiently endured? Are you related to people who show no interest in sanctimonious neo-Marxist theory no matter how often you bring it up? Do you dutifully change your facebook profile pic to whatever the official cause du jour is only to look on aghast that so many of your relatives are leaving theirs the same as it was, as though their wedding were more important than societal change? Do you support Colin Kaepernick despite not having had any idea who he was until he started protesting the National Anthem, but find your relatives would rather talk about football? Well, you've suffered, and been suffered, long enough! Please, for the sake of public safety, sanity, and the future of America, stop talking! It's that simple! Let your unwoke relations sleep on rather than forcing them to pretend to care about your deconstructionist Utopian ideals just to maintain a relationship with you. If you've been looking for some concrete step you personally can take to improve society, and if you are a PC culture warrior tired of battling your family, by all means, do yourself and everyone in your life a favor and reserve the privilege of interacting with you to those who pass your socio-political litmus test." This message brought to you by literally everyone.       
That the NY Times would apologize for publishing an OpEd is telling ... appalling .. and honest ... telling because they tell the world that even when it comes to OpEd so, they have a biased agenda that must be adhered to ... appalling because if their OpEd content is so tightly controlled to the official religion of the NY Times, imagine how much closer control is exerted on the "news" that should be fair and balanced ... and finally honest in they admit they do not honestly report the news  .. but sadly only publish the news from their totally biased point of view.

Full disclosure ... for a few years in the '80's I supervised the printing and distribution of the NY Times at a printing facility far far away from NY City.😷

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2020, 03:12:02 PM »
James, your rush to judgment is insufferable and not very smart.
If you had read all that was written about why the paper apologized for printing that opinion piece, you would see - if you had even half an open mind - that it had nothing to do with the ideology expressed, but with quite a number of other things that have to do with honesty and integrity, proper editorial review and sensitivity to what’s going on in the country.
And your suggestion that There is an exact parallel between the policies of the editorial and op-Ed pages and the news pages Is so wrong and  inept that I’m not sure you ought to be reading newspapers.
If it appears that a newspaper is printing what you consider to be negative things about particular politician, then you might take a look at the larger picture. The newspaper is not making these things up. They are actually being said. Consider the article today that said former President Bush, Mitt Romney and at least a few other Republicans are considering opposing the reelection of the president. The Times did not make that up.It actually happened. Now let’s see what Fox News, or the Washington Times, or the federalist have to say about that development. If they even mention it.
Note to all: I am trying very hard not to respond to what “James” writes, but some things  are so far beyond the pale that they insist upon comment.
And another note on one of my major concerns about this modest forum. It now appears that at least one participant here knows exactly who this poster is. That sets another awkward and unfair dynamic into the discussion.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 03:21:20 PM by Charles Austin »
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Article coming up in Lutheran Forum journal. Now would be a good time to subscribe.
😉

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2020, 03:13:34 PM »

As we all know, Donald Trump is vulnerable to attack from any number of perspectives.  He is very good at providing ammunition to his opponents.  That said, Joe Biden is also accomplished at inflicted wounds on himself.  For example, while Biden will most assuredly win large majorities among black voters, the size of those majorities may well be reduced by his own long history of comments that sound at least vaguely racist.

After the nomination process is complete, I'd expect a barrage of anti-Biden ads that contrast the criminal-justice reform bill that Trump championed and signed with the very, very long litany of Biden statements in support of locking up inner-city folks.  I'd expect those ads to feature recordings of Biden's passionate speeches running on top of montages of peaceful protestors and of overjoyed people who won their freedom under the Trump-signed reform law.

Here are some of the Biden quotes and actions:

"It doesn't matter whether or not they're the victims of society.  The end result is that they're about to knock my mother on the head with a lead pipe, shoot my sister, beat up my wife, take on my sons.  So I don't want to ask what made them do this.  They must be taken off the street."

"Let the FBI buy weapons as powerful and the drug cartels have."

Biden opposed judicial discretion in sentencing of those who "do not meet the middle class criteria of susceptibility to rehabilitation."  Biden said, "They are beyond the pale, many of those people.  They have literally not been socialized.  They are in jail, away from my mother . . . our families."

Biden was lead sponsor of a bill to add more than 60 new death-penalty crimes to federal law.  (He was in a bidding war of sorts with Strom Thurmond to see who could add more.)

In 1994, Biden said, "When I wrote the original bill that started this whole process, the so-called Biden crime bill, I didn't call a liberal confab . . . or Big Society people, I called the cops."

Biden sponsored legislation for evening programs in inner cities.  On the Senate floor, he said this:  "They started looking at [these programs] and found out that this midnight basketball isn't getting them together a bunch of jive folks who are black, white, and hispanic and living in the inner city to . . . try and see if they can be Michael Jordan.  What they found out, they were keeping schools open, so gangs come off streets instead of out raping my mother, marauding me, robbing the local store. They're in a gymnasium [instead].  And my daughter will be safer, my wife will be safer, my mother will be safer, and I will be safer.  And I will be happy."

Here's a video that includes these quotes and more. Link

The point here is not that Trump is good and Biden is bad.  The point is that both are very much vulnerable to effective attacks (both honest and unfair).

The next months will be nasty and not at all uplifting.  If only we could look forward to a decidedly more dignified fall.  But campaigns these days don't come cloaked in dignity.  And in 2020, it seems that anything that could go badly ends up being even worse than any of us could have imagined.

James J Eivan

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2020, 01:49:42 AM »
James, your rush to judgment is insufferable and not very smart.
If you had read all that was written about why the paper apologized for printing that opinion piece, you would see - if you had even half an open mind - that it had nothing to do with the ideology expressed, but with quite a number of other things that have to do with honesty and integrity, proper editorial review and sensitivity to what’s going on in the country.
And your suggestion that There is an exact parallel between the policies of the editorial and op-Ed pages and the news pages Is so wrong and  inept that I’m not sure you ought to be reading newspapers.
If it appears that a newspaper is printing what you consider to be negative things about particular politician, then you might take a look at the larger picture. The newspaper is not making these things up. They are actually being said. Consider the article today that said former President Bush, Mitt Romney and at least a few other Republicans are considering opposing the reelection of the president. The Times did not make that up.It actually happened. Now let’s see what Fox News, or the Washington Times, or the federalist have to say about that development. If they even mention it.
It seems rather hypocritical for you criticize other media outlets saying “if they even mention it”  at the same time your defend ‘your newspaper’ for terminating an editor for failing to support the ‘mission’ of the media.

Apparently you feel that the your media’s responsibility is to be the news ... not to report all the news that is fit to print.  By defending the dismissal of The NY Times editor you have changed the slogan to read “all the news that supports our mission” but carry on as you have been carrying on in the past.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 08:58:12 AM by Richard Johnson »

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2020, 02:55:49 PM »
This popped up on my news feed:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/gofundme-suspends-candace-owens-fundraiser-alabama-bar

GoFundMe suspended a fundraiser by Candace Owens on Saturday created to help an Alabama bar following controversial comments made by its owner about George Floyd and protesters, according to multiple reports.

Owens, a conservative political activist, expressed her support and helped raise more than $200,000 for Birmingham’s Parkside Cafe. Its co-owner, Michael Dykes, had previously said Floyd was a “thug” and that protesters were “idiots” in a text message that was posted online, AL.com reported.

Owens, in a Facebook status, stated that she was helping the “already-struggling business” after Dykes’ comments led to a boycott.

"After raising $205,000 in a few hours @gofundme decided to halt my campaign for the Parkside Cafe in Alabama. At their discretion, they deemed that funds raised for a conservative business constitutes “intolerance” They WILL however give the funds raised thus far to the cafe..." Owens wrote on Twitter.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2020, 03:11:57 PM »
This popped up on my news feed:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/gofundme-suspends-candace-owens-fundraiser-alabama-bar

GoFundMe suspended a fundraiser by Candace Owens on Saturday created to help an Alabama bar following controversial comments made by its owner about George Floyd and protesters, according to multiple reports.

Owens, a conservative political activist, expressed her support and helped raise more than $200,000 for Birmingham’s Parkside Cafe. Its co-owner, Michael Dykes, had previously said Floyd was a “thug” and that protesters were “idiots” in a text message that was posted online, AL.com reported.

Owens, in a Facebook status, stated that she was helping the “already-struggling business” after Dykes’ comments led to a boycott.

"After raising $205,000 in a few hours @gofundme decided to halt my campaign for the Parkside Cafe in Alabama. At their discretion, they deemed that funds raised for a conservative business constitutes “intolerance” They WILL however give the funds raised thus far to the cafe..." Owens wrote on Twitter.

Peace,
Michael
GoFundMe is not a very secure way to donate to things anyway. And now that I know they have to approve of the things I might fund, well, that's a tad Orwellian.

"Thug" is a complicated word; to treat it as a insult is to endorse British Imperialism. Normally it just refers to violent, lawless people. Since Floyd was an established criminal on meth and had the cops called on him, I think referring to him as a "thug" is within the bounds of reason if not necessarily in good taste. The point, of course, is that what happened to him shouldn't have happened even if he was a thug. As to whether the protesters were idiots, assuming he wasn't using the term in a technical sense of actual IQ measurements but in the more common sense in which people engaged in stupid activities are often referred to as idiots. Certainly many of them were caught on camera doing inexcusably stupid and counterproductive things, so even if the characterization wasn't fair, it was certainly expressing a common sentiment.

The next progressive Civil War will be how come GoFundMe is more woke than the social media services that allowed Dykes and Owens to disseminate their message.

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2020, 04:18:15 PM »
More of the story behind Candace Owens' GoFundMe project:

It's an interesting read. Here's a couple of topic paragraphs:

Michael Dykes, the founder of Parkside Cafe in Avondale, called Floyd a “thug” and said protesters were “idiots” in a text message that was sent on Friday morning to Robert Bagwell, co-owner of the bar, and one of Parkside’s employees. Dykes said Parkside should increase prices at the bar as a “protest tax” and employees who participated in the protests should resign.

“We should go up one or two dollars on everything until June 10th. Call it a protest tax because all the idiots that went to the protests are responsible for us not being able to open normal hours,” Dykes said in the text, referring to a 7 p.m. curfew in Birmingham that was imposed on June 1 after protests here spurred violence downtown. “Any employees that went or are going should resign," Dykes said. "Mr. Floyd was a thug, didn’t deserve to die but honoring a thug is irresponsible.”
https://www.al.com/life/2020/06/birmingham-bar-in-turmoil-after-owner-slams-george-floyd-protests.html

Peace,
Michael
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:34:20 PM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser