Author Topic: Pondering "justice" and the death of George Floyd.......  (Read 39054 times)

Steven Tibbetts

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
Re: Pondering "justice" and the death of George Floyd.......
« Reply #450 on: June 12, 2020, 10:55:51 PM »
http://web.archive.org/web/20200611111027/https://pastebin.com/WBzAFDgA

Common sense letter from a professor who can't attach his name to is and keep his job. It has been authenticated by professors at other universities, including Thomas Sowell, who received copies.

Note that this appears on the Internet Archive, for it has been removed from where it was originally posted. 

I'd also observe that from the University of California on down, the education system in the State has been aggressively "affirmative action" for 2 generations. 

Paz y bien, Estéban+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

James J Eivan

« Reply #451 on: June 13, 2020, 01:24:11 AM »
"Easter reality is looking at my fellow Jesus-truster, whoever or however she or he may be, and saying of him or her, “my brother, my sister,” the words spoken not putatively, as if this language is merely metaphoric or, worse, a cheap exercise in Christian politeness, but rather in the joyful conviction that I’m describing what is. Out of such conviction—such faith, as we’re in the habit of saying—comes the behavior that brings God’s new creation into view so that others can glimpse it too and be astonished or dismayed as the case may be. Recall that Christ, this rock on whom we stand, is the stone that others stumble over. He annoys them no end. He upends their same-old agenda of getting fat and strong on the backs of the riffraff. In Christ there is no riffraff, but only daughters and sons of God Most High, precious beyond measure.

And yes, that God forgives sins is the sine-qua-non precondition of all this. But wondrous though it be—see Matt. 18:23-27—it remains a precondition, the entry point and nothing more (if one dare put it that way) to the subsequent marvel of the Easter age unfolding before our eyes. New creation is more than a future hope. It is also a present gift, accessible to eyes that do see and ears that do hear. So says Jesus (Matt. 13:16-17). So says Paul. Peter says it too (1 Pe. 2:9-10).

Whether Luther saw anything of new creation in those baptized peasants he railed at in 1525 is something I wonder about. But I muse in ignorance. I need to read.

I’m far less diffident when it comes to those who wear the Lutheran name in America today. I think we’re blind. Yes, we all tout the free gifts of God in Jesus Christ—grace, forgiveness, future resurrection—or at least we’re expected to. Marvelous. But there we stop as our ancestors did. And no one beefs when we fail to effuse with apostles and evangelists about the astonishment of Easter reality already shimmering in the bleakness of the same-old, same-old. No one says “Look!” to the kids in confirmation class. Instead we tell them they’ll go to heaven. Or else we bark at them to pull up their do-gooder socks and help bring in the kingdom. As if the kingdom itself is not a gift, free and spectacular, a work of God already unfolding. Either way we sell the Gospel short. We disappoint Christ. We hinder the Spirit’s Easter project.

Lutheran preachers need to repent. I mean preachers across the board, from left to right and back again.

Had we been doing our job all along a Lutheran policeman—this is Minneapolis, remember—might well have seen his Easter brother in George Floyd’s face and done for him as real brothers do.

Were we doing our job today the photo of a forlorn Central American mother huddled with her child in a detention camp would set every Lutheran’s teeth to grinding—not because she’s a destitute immigrant and America is better than that, but because no one gets to treat our baptized sister that way.

As it is we’re too busy remembering how Norwegian we are, or German, or Slovak. Or white, God help us. Yes, the vast majority of U.S. Lutherans are of European ancestry. But to put stock of any kind in this—to operate on the functional assumption that “brother” means nothing more than my mother’s other son—is to wallow in categories that Christ died to spring us free of. It’s a denial of Easter. This is the dog returning to its vomit and the sow to its mud (2 Pe. 2:2). But will I say that this Sunday? Will you?

How long will Christ put up with us?

Jerome Burce

Fairview Park, Ohio"

Do we know for a fact that the officer in question was Lutheran?  Or is that just an assumption from someone in Ohio because the officer is from Minnesota?
As I read it, Pastor Bohler, Mr. Burce is saying what a Lutheran should have seen and done in the situation. That's all. But it is thought-provoking, which may be why Chaplain Precup posted it.
Peace,
Michael

"Had we been doing our job all along a Lutheran policeman—this is Minneapolis, remember—might well have seen his Easter brother in George Floyd’s face and done for him as real brothers do."  So who is this Lutheran policeman?  And how would he have been able to do something if he was not one of the four who responded to the call?
Better than a day has passed ... apparently no evidence exists that a Lutheran police officer was among the four ... no guilt to be inflicted outside those charged ... all failings forgiven on Calvary by Christ.

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: June 16, 2020, 07:17:44 PM »
Continuing the slog as law enforcement continues to pursue the looters and arsonists who used the George Floyd demonstrations as a cover for their criminal activity.

We've already seen the Saint Paul man who fed the fire at the 3rd Police Precinct and stole equipment from it; now we have a Molotov cocktail thrower from that same fire, a man from Brainerd MN arrested in Colorado:

https://www.fox9.com/news/brainerd-minnesota-man-charged-for-role-in-3rd-precinct-fire-after-arrest-in-breckenridge-colorado There are pictures there for you to identify more of the actors, all of whom (to my colorblind eye) are "white."

I hope we get 'em all.

(Nonetheless) peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 26, 2020, 09:51:30 AM »
Continuing the slog as law enforcement continues to pursue the looters and arsonists who used the George Floyd demonstrations as a cover for their criminal activity.

We've already seen the Saint Paul man who fed the fire at the 3rd Police Precinct and stole equipment from it; now we have a Molotov cocktail thrower from that same fire, a man from Brainerd MN arrested in Colorado:

https://www.fox9.com/news/brainerd-minnesota-man-charged-for-role-in-3rd-precinct-fire-after-arrest-in-breckenridge-colorado There are pictures there for you to identify more of the actors, all of whom (to my colorblind eye) are "white."

I hope we get 'em all.
Law enforcement, ATF, and FBI continue to build cases against Minneapolis arsonists and rioters:
https://www.startribune.com/4-minnesota-men-indicted-on-arson-charges-in-third-precinct-fire/572221482/
https://www.startribune.com/two-twin-cities-suburban-men-face-federal-arson-charges-in-fire-during-george-floyd-riots/572186872/
     So far, the men involved have not been from out of state, but several have been from well out of town. None that I have seen have been from the neighborhood where the burnings took place, as in the commonly heard slur, "Why are they burning down their own neighborhood?" (And we know who "they" are.)
      So far, I haven't heard whether the arsonists were politically motivated, much less whether they are "right wing" or "left wing."
      I continue to hope that we get 'em all.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 29, 2021, 08:59:41 PM »
Eleven months later, the pursuit of men guilty of destruction in the week after George Floyd's murder goes on. Yesterday one of the actors, a young man from Brainerd, MN, was sentenced to four years and $20,000,000 fine. The article from today's Minneapolis Star Tribune also tells of progress in the cases against other men, including a Boogaloo Boi from Texas.
https://www.startribune.com/brainerd-man-sentenced-to-four-years-in-federal-prison-for-role-in-burning-minneapolis-police-third/600051280/

These men were not from the neighborhood. They were not destroying the livelihoods of their own neighbors. They were eager to raise havoc, for reasons that had nothing to do with George Floyd (or Black Lives Matter).

The hooligans who trashed the nation's Capitol can, I hope and expect, count on being pursued by the law with similar diligence and tirelessness.

Peace,
Michael
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:02:22 PM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #455 on: April 30, 2021, 09:53:28 AM »
Eleven months later, the pursuit of men guilty of destruction in the week after George Floyd's murder goes on. Yesterday one of the actors, a young man from Brainerd, MN, was sentenced to four years and $20,000,000 fine. The article from today's Minneapolis Star Tribune also tells of progress in the cases against other men, including a Boogaloo Boi from Texas.
https://www.startribune.com/brainerd-man-sentenced-to-four-years-in-federal-prison-for-role-in-burning-minneapolis-police-third/600051280/

These men were not from the neighborhood. They were not destroying the livelihoods of their own neighbors. They were eager to raise havoc, for reasons that had nothing to do with George Floyd (or Black Lives Matter).

The hooligans who trashed the nation's Capitol can, I hope and expect, count on being pursued by the law with similar diligence and tirelessness.

Peace,
Michael

Since you and a number of our online interlocutors are Minnesotans, I was made aware of the boogaloo bois and that movement by John Sandford's Lucas Davenport novels, several of which deal with police interactions with them, and all of which are located in Minnesota.  Art imitating life imitating art.  I know that Lucas Davenport and the inimitable Virgil Flowers would run the hooligans down.

Dave Benke

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 30, 2021, 11:59:17 AM »

Since you and a number of our online interlocutors are Minnesotans, I was made aware of the boogaloo bois and that movement by John Sandford's Lucas Davenport novels, several of which deal with police interactions with them, and all of which are located in Minnesota.  Art imitating life imitating art.  I know that Lucas Davenport and the inimitable Virgil Flowers would run the hooligans down.

Dave Benke
The Boogaloo Boi in this case was from Texas, and the hounds were federal agents, not staties from the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, like Lucas and Virgil.

*Lucas had become some kind of Fed in the last book I read with him in it.

Peace,
Michael
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 12:04:22 PM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #457 on: April 30, 2021, 12:34:26 PM »

Dave Benke
The Boogaloo Boi in this case was from Texas, and the hounds were federal agents, not staties from the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, like Lucas and Virgil.

*Lucas had become some kind of Fed in the last book I read with him in it.

Peace,
Michael

Yes - and Virgil grew up a Lutheran in Mankato, where his dad was a pastor.

Dave Benke