Author Topic: Simple Small Group Activities during Covid-19  (Read 549 times)

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • church history review
Simple Small Group Activities during Covid-19
« on: April 29, 2021, 08:17:14 AM »
Here's something we did that was simple, fun, and low risk. We had two Wildflower Walks. Churches north of us might still have time to do this.

https://youtu.be/7AkloH4_05w

https://youtu.be/I1jvHxfNUZQ

Please share examples of small group activities you are enjoying with your congregation during Covid-19.
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
Re: Simple Small Group Activities during Covid-19
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 09:35:06 AM »
Our congregation has tried to make adjustments.  Our youth group attended the virtual District youth gathering.  15 kids gathered at our church, we watched the speaker (Gerard Bolling), listened to the music (Bread?  Broken Bread?  Something about Bread).  It was okay.  I think the kids appreciated doing something as a group. 

The Missouri District was, in my opinion, collectively disappointed that the servant events were cancelled in 2020.  Our congregation was hosting a weeklong event and had two congregations (one from KS, one from OK) planning to attend.  So the MO District had a district wide servant event.  The time was for a week and congregations were encouraged to do whatever they could do in their community.  We picked up trash along the frontage road and were joined by city employees from Grandview.  It was mostly youth who took part but we had a few adults take part as well.  And besides trash being picked up, the people enjoyed being together. 

One member, who is into fitness- the ninja warrior stuff- led a group from church (again, mostly youth but a few others) on a Faith Walk through a local park on a trail that wasn't paved but was somewhat primitive.  It was hiking and fellowship and some Bible study at various points along the walk. 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 11:39:28 AM »
I think your wildflower walks are wonderful.  And I would say that one of the best things about the Columbus area is the Metro Parks.  My wife and I were on the west side (Lincoln Village, Hilliard, Dublin) so the parks we frequented were High Banks and Darby Creek.  There was also one out US 33 on the way to Marysville but I forget the name.  Then a new one opened up shortly before we moved- Prairie something or other.  It had a windmill.  (How's that for a descriptor?)  And there is one that is downtown that is less than a decade old.  I believe it is south of I70.  It was really nice when we visited it in 2009, which would make it more than a decade old.  Tempus fugit. 

Regardless, those walks are nice because they accomplish several things- fellowship, health, spiritual conversation.

And being in Columbus, the best thing to do might be to head to the banks of the Olentangy and walk around Ohio Stadium several times.  Then when that pilgrimage is completed, get some ice cream from Graeter's.  LOL

Jeremy

GO BUCKS!!!!
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 11:50:19 AM »
One of the biggest disappointments for my folks was the cancelation of Camps and Mission trips to other places.  Instead we planned some mini missions in town for smaller groups, and did outdoor things like the wildflower walk and incorporated some Bible Study in those activities.  One of the best benefits of those activities was different groups getting to know eachother better.

Things that we did
Painted outhouses and pic nic shelter at a couple local parks

a drive by talent show and parade at the various group homes and assisted living facilities - Residents came out to the yard, we stayed at the curb and used a portable sound system.  A number of the older men who are classic car nuts joined the parade in their classic cars  and gave rides to the youth who were participating.

We packed up the quilts for LWR

We cleared nature trails at the nature center.

We did something almost every week.  We are looking at making that a part of our regular outreach and activities
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 10:08:44 AM »
We've done service projects for area children during Covid. Most recently we put together Easter Egg Hunt kits so families could do their hunt at home, rather than at Emmanuel. Some outside gardening projects engaged youth and adults but we've not had the overnights that the youth love.

I hope others will share activities so we may garner new ideas.

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• View Profile
    • church history review
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 05:51:56 AM »
Here are photos from our Holy Smokers gathering: smoked turkey and brats, dinner with social distancing, and devotions based on Bible stories involving food.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4117456301609848&id=100000365556344