News:


Main Menu

Unholy

Started by Norman Teigen, May 26, 2020, 09:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_Hannah

I would surmise that Matt Hummel was recently ordained. A few months ago he was Deacon Hummel, and now he is Father Hummel.

Congratulations! I do not encourage Lutherans to leave for Rome (or Constantinople) but do not resent those who do. I am grateful for their contributions while Lutheran and pray for their continued friendship and good will.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Jeremy_Loesch

Quote from: David Garner on July 03, 2020, 12:44:37 PM
Quote from: Matt Hummel on July 02, 2020, 06:48:17 PMOh- and one final matter. Since you do not follow the practice here of using given names as a sign of fraternal relationship (or sorroral, in certain instances), I am going to have to politely ask you to use the correct form of address in describing me. If you would please use the proper form of address, it would be appreciated. As a Priest of Jesus Christ ordained in the Catholic Church, I am best addressed as Father Hummel, though, where appropriate, please feel free to use the abbreviation Fr.

Have a blessed day! :)

For some reason, I never knew you were a priest.  My apologies for those, likely numerous, times I failed to address you as such.

Don't feel bad. He was ordained this past Monday on the feast of Sts. Peter and Paul, so it has been less than a week. He's Fadduh Hummel to me. Or Matt.

Jeremy

Charles Austin

So his snippy comment to me was his way of announcing that he had been ordained in the Roman catholic church? Curious, but I get it.
Iowa-born. Long-time in NY/New Jersey, former LWF staff in Geneva.
ELCA PASTOR, ordained 1967. Former journalist. Retired in Minneapolis. Often critical of the ELCA, but more often a defender of its mission. Ignoring the not-so-subtle rude insults which often appear here.

readselerttoo

Quote from: Charles Austin on July 03, 2020, 02:09:41 PM
So his snippy comment to me was his way of announcing that he had been ordained in the Roman catholic church? Curious, but I get it.

It is good and proper to clarify:  not Catholic Church but Roman Catholic Church.  There are other catholic churches.

Matt Hummel

Quote from: David Garner on July 03, 2020, 12:44:37 PM
Quote from: Matt Hummel on July 02, 2020, 06:48:17 PMOh- and one final matter. Since you do not follow the practice here of using given names as a sign of fraternal relationship (or sorroral, in certain instances), I am going to have to politely ask you to use the correct form of address in describing me. If you would please use the proper form of address, it would be appreciated. As a Priest of Jesus Christ ordained in the Catholic Church, I am best addressed as Father Hummel, though, where appropriate, please feel free to use the abbreviation Fr.

Have a blessed day! :)

For some reason, I never knew you were a priest.  My apologies for those, likely numerous, times I failed to address you as such.

David- It is a relatively new thing. My ordination to the transitional diaconate was last November. My ordination to the presbyterate was earlier this week.
Matt Hummel


"The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks."

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Matt Hummel

Quote from: John_Hannah on July 03, 2020, 01:18:46 PM
I would surmise that Matt Hummel was recently ordained. A few months ago he was Deacon Hummel, and now he is Father Hummel.

Congratulations! I do not encourage Lutherans to leave for Rome (or Constantinople) but do not resent those who do. I am grateful for their contributions while Lutheran and pray for their continued friendship and good will.

Peace, JOHN

John- Thank you for your gracious words. I understand, I think, your concerns, and, FWIW, the journey for me began with some excellent Lutheran formators in my first year of Seminary. It has been more a "going to" than a "leaving from." One companion on the journey was the organist at a former parish who was gay. We talked about coming out as Catholic.


Matt Hummel


"The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks."

― J.R.R. Tolkien

James J Eivan

Quote from: readselerttoo on July 03, 2020, 02:17:38 PM
Quote from: Charles Austin on July 03, 2020, 02:09:41 PM
So his snippy comment to me was his way of announcing that he had been ordained in the Roman catholic church? Curious, but I get it.
It is good and proper to clarify:  not Catholic Church but Roman Catholic Church.  There are other catholic churches.
Thank you for your clarification ... from confirmation days last century I was taught that there is  big difference between catholic and Catholic .. especially when it comes to the Lutheran Confessions.

Matt Hummel

Quote from: Charles Austin on July 03, 2020, 02:09:41 PM
So his snippy comment to me was his way of announcing that he had been ordained in the Roman catholic church? Curious, but I get it.

Wait- I thought you were going to ignore me.

And, if I am snippy, it's because for over a decade have sat at the feet of the Master. Thank you for all the lessons

As for getting it, I too get it. The consistent use of "Mr." Please don't aver that it is about etiquette. Just own the schadenfreude of one talking down to one drummed out of the regiment.

Matt Hummel


"The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks."

― J.R.R. Tolkien

David Garner

Quote from: Matt Hummel on July 03, 2020, 04:54:47 PM
Quote from: David Garner on July 03, 2020, 12:44:37 PM
Quote from: Matt Hummel on July 02, 2020, 06:48:17 PMOh- and one final matter. Since you do not follow the practice here of using given names as a sign of fraternal relationship (or sorroral, in certain instances), I am going to have to politely ask you to use the correct form of address in describing me. If you would please use the proper form of address, it would be appreciated. As a Priest of Jesus Christ ordained in the Catholic Church, I am best addressed as Father Hummel, though, where appropriate, please feel free to use the abbreviation Fr.

Have a blessed day! :)

For some reason, I never knew you were a priest.  My apologies for those, likely numerous, times I failed to address you as such.

David- It is a relatively new thing. My ordination to the transitional diaconate was last November. My ordination to the presbyterate was earlier this week.

Congratulations! Axios!
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Matt Hummel

Quote from: David Garner on July 03, 2020, 06:17:44 PM
Quote from: Matt Hummel on July 03, 2020, 04:54:47 PM
Quote from: David Garner on July 03, 2020, 12:44:37 PM
Quote from: Matt Hummel on July 02, 2020, 06:48:17 PMOh- and one final matter. Since you do not follow the practice here of using given names as a sign of fraternal relationship (or sorroral, in certain instances), I am going to have to politely ask you to use the correct form of address in describing me. If you would please use the proper form of address, it would be appreciated. As a Priest of Jesus Christ ordained in the Catholic Church, I am best addressed as Father Hummel, though, where appropriate, please feel free to use the abbreviation Fr.

Have a blessed day! :)

For some reason, I never knew you were a priest.  My apologies for those, likely numerous, times I failed to address you as such.

David- It is a relatively new thing. My ordination to the transitional diaconate was last November. My ordination to the presbyterate was earlier this week.

Congratulations! Axios!


Thank you. I have a number of Byzantine Catholic friends, so I appreciate the Axios!
Matt Hummel


"The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks."

― J.R.R. Tolkien

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk