Author Topic: Unholy  (Read 33435 times)

Norman Teigen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
Unholy
« on: May 26, 2020, 09:07:14 AM »
Recommended reading.  "Unholy:  Why White Evangelicals Worship at the Altar of Donald Trump". by Sarah Posner. Random House, 2020.  Available at the iTunes Store. 
Norman Teigen

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
Re: Unholy
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 09:41:27 AM »
Pass.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 09:57:56 AM »
Right up there with Paul the Progressive which my church is studying to make excuses for St. Paul’s clear writings.

Pass and pass.
Pete Garrison

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 10:03:10 AM »
Can you give your reason for wanting us to read this book? 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 10:20:59 AM »
 I will read it and similar bookS because I remain puzzled as to why people who stand for high morals, integrity, veracity, Care for others, and people living a Christian life, support a politician who does none of these things.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Oh, my. How close we were to a situation where many people with guns could’ve killed many members of Congress. The possible result? Martial law and/or Civil War. Thank God some people are still coming forward to tell the truth.

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 10:37:50 AM »
The Trump-evangelical alliance believes that the government, unfettered, would take Christians' freedom, and only a strong hand like Trump's could save the country. 
Norman Teigen

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 10:48:02 AM »
I'm not part of the Trump-Evangelical alliance but I do keep a wary eye on government.  I do think they are interested in restricting rights and advocating for those things they are in favor of- replacing Freedom of Religion with Freedom of Worship being one, keeping a lid on charter schools and school choice (even ending it) and funneling children into public schools being another. 

Why would anyone need to read this book when the legacy media gives all these points every day every broadcast?

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

James J Eivan

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 11:10:59 AM »
I will read it and similar bookS because I remain puzzled as to why people who stand for high morals, integrity, veracity, Care for others, and people living a Christian life, support a politician who does none of these things.
Since you are supporting Former VP Biden, perhaps you can answer your own question ... but then there is no standard for living a Christian life .. as some ‘Christians’ see no problem with brutal killing of the unborn as an acceptable aspect of ‘living a Christian life.’

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 11:15:44 AM »
I'm not part of the Trump-Evangelical alliance but I do keep a wary eye on government.  I do think they are interested in restricting rights and advocating for those things they are in favor of- replacing Freedom of Religion with Freedom of Worship being one, keeping a lid on charter schools and school choice (even ending it) and funneling children into public schools being another. 

Why would anyone need to read this book when the legacy media gives all these points every day every broadcast?

Jeremy

What is meant by the "legacy media?"  That's a new term for me. 

Dave Benke

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 11:20:36 AM »

Jeremy

Dave Benke

For the most part, the "legacy media" comprises the pre-internet news outlets -- mostly newspapers, broadcast television networks

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 11:22:30 AM »

Jeremy

Bingo.

I don't operate in an echo chamber, but I have no need to consume rank propaganda either.  I'd sooner read The Nation or Mother Jones (which I actually do) and get the other side honestly than listen to someone wax eloquent on why my side is ever so awful and hypocritical.  We can trade hypocrites all day long, witness the media and Democrat treatment of Tara Reade versus Christine Blasey Ford.  I'm more interested in hearing what interesting people think about their own ideas.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 12:10:55 PM »

Jeremy

Dave Benke

For the most part, the "legacy media" comprises the pre-internet news outlets -- mostly newspapers, broadcast television networks

James did a good job of explaining the term.  I have gravitated toward it, and think it is akin to "mainstream media" (though I do think that the mainstream is getting broader and broader.)  The legacy media rely on their legacies.

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

The Yak

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 12:14:05 PM »

Jeremy

Dave Benke

Another term that sounds pejorative but is meant to be descriptive is the "party press" (though this isn't restricted to the legacy media) referring back to the era when publications openly endorsed political parties.  That is essentially what we have now, and it would be nice if the media were just up front about it (which was Sauter's point in the article shared on another thread).
Rev. Dr. Scott Yak imow
Professor of Theology
Concordia University - Ann Arbor

Coach-Rev

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Rev. Jeff Cottingham, STS
    • View Profile
    • Trinity Lutheran Church
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 12:19:44 PM »
The Trump-evangelical alliance believes that the government, unfettered, would take Christians' freedom, and only a strong hand like Trump's could save the country.

Is that from the book or from your own pen?

You are wrong on two counts:  One - that alliance does not believe that at all as a rule, and Two - history has shown that unfettered governments take away ALL individual freedom from it's citizens, and this is precisely the great divide between orthodox and progressive in our country.  Trump is not the only one (and not even that strong of a hand) but was (and is) the lesser of two evils in the past two POTUS election cycles.  Just look at the ongoing debate, largely along political lines, regarding the state's ability to force churches to not gather because of Covid-19.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

blog:  http://coach-rev.blogspot.com/
photography:  https://jeffcottingham.smugmug.com/

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 12:25:24 PM »
Recommended reading.  "Unholy:  Why White Evangelicals Worship at the Altar of Donald Trump". by Sarah Posner. Random House, 2020.  Available at the iTunes Store.

If you can figure out why white progressives have worshiped at the altar of Marx for the last 50 years, understanding why white evangelicals would worship at the altar of Trump will be a piece of cake.
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?