Author Topic: McCoid to Head ELCA Ecumenical Office  (Read 3387 times)

Charles_Austin

Re: McCoid to Head ELCA Ecumenical Office
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 04:02:06 PM »
And they shouldn't be called "doctor" unless they have such a degree. And even then, in ecclesiastical circles, I have long felt that the academic titles are out of place, and don't serve any churchly purpose.

Dave_Poedel

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 05:11:37 PM »
And they shouldn't be called "doctor" unless they have such a degree. And even then, in ecclesiastical circles, I have long felt that the academic titles are out of place, and don't serve any churchly purpose.
I agree (and I have one) that we are serving in ecclesiastical office, and while there is the honorific "Doctor of the Church" used during some periods of history, I do not feel that I have qualified for that honor...Pastor is fine, Father is OK, Dave...if you know me or we are peers.  I personally believe "once a Bishop, always honored that way".

Steven Tibbetts

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 11:26:22 PM »

The Archbishop of Canterbury, regardless of who it is, is routinely referred to as "Dr. [Surname]."  At least that as been the case throughout my lifetime.

Pax, Steven+
Who, like Dr. Science, has a Masters Degree...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 01:10:59 AM by The Rev. Steven P. Tibbetts, STS »
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 12:38:27 AM »

Couldn't agree more, which is why I firmly instructed my congregation, after I received my PhD, that they were not to call me "Dr. Johnson." I told 'em "Pastor" was a much more respectful title. I never use the "Dr." unless I'm in an academic setting.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Michael_Rothaar

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Married to Linda in 1970. Ordained in TALC in 1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 12:34:39 PM »
I saw this article on the ELCA's home page and I rejoiced at it.  Bishop McCoid has been a good and faithful Bishop and it is good that, while he is retiring from the ranks of the Bishops, will not be gone from us completely.  I agree with your conclusions, Richard.  Bishop McCoid is an able churchman and more than qualified to head the Ecumenical office.  And yes, Bishop Hanson's humility and prudence is a good thing and needs to be commended in this case.

Pax Christi;
Pr. Jerry Kliner, STS

Bishop McCoid's ecumenical partners in SW Pennsylvania included Bishop Robert Duncan of the Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh, who is embroiled in the current struggle for faithful orthopraxis in TEC.  Bishop Duncan has been a key player in efforts to move several entire Diocese from TEC to some other Anglican structure while remaining subject to the Anglican Communion and the Archbishop of Canterbury.

A very interesting, appropriate, and timely appointment, indeed.

The announcement's a little brief on the "Randy-Lee's-Future-Plans" side of things. So I leap to the groundless assumption that his work has been, in some way, unsatisfactory to the presiding bishop. Bp. McCoid is of an age when his term will effectively coincide with Bp Hanson's. So what are everyone's guesses about the ELCA's  medium-term (5 year) goals in ecumenical relations? Does everyone agree that Richard's proposals
(a) Continued conversations with Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches; (b) Serious thinking about what our full communion agreement with the Episcopal Church might mean as the Episcopal Church faces possible schism; and (c) Serious endeavors to resume significant conversations with the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.
are what the churchwide organization has in mind? Personally, I can't see (c), and there would be a ton of qualifications on (b).

Nonetheless: McCoid is a distinguished churchman, and his appointment is a good thing.
Mike Rothaar
Retired from roster of active ELCA pastors 01 Jul 2012.
Mind and Spirit still working.

John Dornheim

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2007, 01:06:58 PM »

The announcement's a little brief on the "Randy-Lee's-Future-Plans" side of things. So I leap to the groundless assumption that his work has been, in some way, unsatisfactory to the presiding bishop. Bp. McCoid is of an age when his term will effectively coincide with Bp Hanson's. So what are everyone's guesses about the ELCA's  medium-term (5 year) goals in ecumenical relations? Does everyone agree that Richard's proposals
(a) Continued conversations with Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches; (b) Serious thinking about what our full communion agreement with the Episcopal Church might mean as the Episcopal Church faces possible schism; and (c) Serious endeavors to resume significant conversations with the Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod.
are what the churchwide organization has in mind? Personally, I can't see (c), and there would be a ton of qualifications on (b).

Nonetheless: McCoid is a distinguished churchman, and his appointment is a good thing.
Regarding (b), our agreement with TEC, CCM, will remain intact with TEC and I don't envision any discussions with the breakaway parishes because (1) it would undermine CCM and (2) I doubt any overtures would be accepted. As for (c) aside from continuing work at the social service level, there would be little reason to go in any other direction. To do so would be a waste of time and money.

John Dornheim