Author Topic: Christ Is Risen!  (Read 3163 times)

Rev. Edward Engelbrecht

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • church history review
Christ Is Risen!
« on: April 12, 2020, 06:01:46 AM »
He is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Praying God's blessings upon your joyous fellowship in the Gospel this unusual Easter Day. Despite our small gatherings during Lent, we did not change our Easter Lily orders. Can't wait to smell the sanctuary this morning.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 06:04:08 AM by Rev. Edward Engelbrecht »
I serve as administrator for www.churchhistoryreview.org.

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
Re: Christ Is Risen!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 07:22:06 AM »
O Christ our God,
though Thou didst descend to the depths of the earth
Thou didst make Hades captive,
And rose an Immortal Conqueror.
Thou didst bring joy to the myrrh-bearing women,
And to Thy Apostles Thou host given peace,
And to the fallen, didst bring Resurrection.

--Kontakion of Pascha
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 08:08:00 AM »
Yes, Christ has risen. But to be honest, today it’s going to be hard to feel as if we have.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 08:22:04 AM »

Praying God's blessings upon your joyous fellowship in the Gospel this unusual Easter Day. Despite our small gatherings during Lent, we did not change our Easter Lily orders. Can't wait to smell the sanctuary this morning.

He is risen indeed.  Alleluia! 

We will probably go to the max this morning with 10 people present for live-streaming.  An Episcopal priest had his parishioners send head shots of themselves/their families and then enlarged them and attached them to the pews so he could look out on his flock - a great idea.  That sanctuary emptiness is weird/surreal, although the echo chamber makes singing sound great over the internet.  We ordered 1/10 of the flowers we normally bring for Easter, but there will be Easter lilies.  The loss of the Eucharistic feast leaves an indelible mark.  The loss of the feast after the Feast in the parish hall marks the loss of family fellowship which is a hallmark at St. Peter's.

Our church zip code is one of the hardest hit, with the overwhelming majority of folks being black and hispanic, in "essential" work category in the various service industries, and going to the hospitals you see on TV as being overwhelmed with death.  Amidst the grim suffering, we are finding a way to distribute masks and protective gloves to those essential workers, who are often not receiving them from their workplace. Our primary spiritual work is prayer, proclamation and contact with those suffering, to bring hope and encouragement.

We will be having Easter brunch and dinner for two at home - lamb was way too expensive this year - seller's market - Judy went for pork for a Cuban pork roast, and I hope grabbed a bag of jelly beans while she was at it.

Blessings in the Risen Christ to all,

Dave Benke

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 10:19:11 AM »
He is risen indeed.  No matter the circumstances of this world - a deadly virus and all that ensues from schools to the economy and, especially today, our churches - that still must be our response as that is our witness to the world.  Even a closed church cannot defeat the hope we have in Christ.   

It will be different for all of us.  It is my first Easter without my husband.  I cannot remember an Easter when I did not attend church.   As most of you,  I'll be watching church from home, singing alone, not receiving Christ in the sacrament.  It is a time such as this that we must proclaim Christ is risen.  He is risen indeed.  Alleluia

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 10:19:41 AM »
He is risen, indeed!

Pete Garrison, STS

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 10:56:04 AM »
Our Easter service of the Word — stplmunster.com

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z14gB_kqaUE
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 10:58:40 AM by peter_speckhard »

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 11:08:43 AM »
Beloved Spouse and this humble correspondent will be “attending” worship at the national cathedral in Washington, D. C. soon.
And missing our various “home” churches.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 11:35:46 AM »

Thank you for posting.  Your sermon truly helped me.  A blessed Easter to you and all your family.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 01:08:54 PM »
Our Easter so far:
Got up at 5 to pray Morning Prayer
At 6:30 walked up to the golf course, where we tuned in via iPhone to Johanna's Easter service. It was at 9:30 in Rochester, but for us it was a sunrise service! We found a picnic table and enjoyed the service (great sermon and fabulous music!). https://www.twitch.tv/stpaulspittsford
Came home and since we were chilly, got in the hot tub for a while.
Watched our own Emmanuel Episcopal service at 9:00.
Now we're about to have brunch, then we'll have a Zoom get together with kids and grandkids. And, eventually, a lovely ham Easter dinner.
Not the normal Easter, to be sure, but pleasant enough, and Christ is risen anyway!
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 01:54:53 PM »
Yes, Christ has risen. But to be honest, today it’s going to be hard to feel as if we have.

Have some Cheetos and grape juice. You'll "feel" better, Charles.   ;)

In the meantime, Romans 6:1-11
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

readselerttoo

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 02:04:20 PM »

Christ is indeed risen!  Alleluia!  I too have fond early memories of the smell of Easter liies at church!  A great blessing.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »
Frustrated with the dreariness of the "virtual services" I had seen around here, we went to the National Cathedral in Washington. Good choice. Marianne Edgar Budde, Episcopal Bishop of Washington, presided. A few comments.
   They lit the Pachal Candle with the "Alpha and Omega" ceremony at the beginning.
   "Jesus Christ is Risen today" was the opening hymn. The seven or eight people in the chancel, including two professional singers, sang. The Cathedral organist played, and a fine trumpet added to the music.
   Bishop Budde has a good voice and knows how to use it. Ditto for the lectors.
   Glad that music for what we used to call the "Gradual" was the Mozart "Alleluia," sung by the very fine soprano there.
   Presiding Bishop Michael Curry was the preacher, but not at the cathedral. I think they made a good choice in having him give the sermon from his study. The camera was close, his sermon was quiet at times and intimate, and this fit much better than if he had stood in the pulpit and delivered a loud sermon to empty pews.
   Prior to the Preface, Bishop Budde spoke of the pain of not being able to commune together and explained the idea of "spiritual communion." The liturgy proceeded, exceedingly well spoken and sung, and at the time of the distribution the words of the "spiritual communion prayer" were on the screen as they were spoken in the cathedral. In our living room, I spoke them aloud, as we had (sort of) sung along with the hymns.
   Production-wise, the service was very well done, because the cathedral has a television studio, several cameras and people who know how to use them. Proper cuts or fades to the organist, the singers, the altar, and occasional pans around the empty Cathedral. Close-ups when necessary, medium- and distant-shots when required. And very well-lit. The lack of good lighting is one of my complaints about other televised services I have seen.
   It was a good experience, save for the times I felt the loss of not leading or assisting at an Easter celebration.
   As the service ended, the fine kitchen at Trillium Woods delivered our Easter Brunch - shrimp cocktail, ham, eggs, potatoes, vegetable medley, a dinner roll, a fruit cup and chocolates and petit fours. And a half-dozen colored plastic eggs with candies in them.
   It was fine, save for the moments we remembered Easter dinner in our New Jersey dining room, with our next-door neighbors, our son, and a few other assorted people. This is our second Easter since we moved, but last Easter we were in Charleston and the loss of "home" was not so strong. There were some tears.
  The lousy Minnesota weather, now dropping several inches of snow on us, didn't help.
  May the blessings of the Resurrection expand.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 02:25:50 PM »
Pastor Kirchner writes:
Have some Cheetos and grape juice. You'll "feel" better, Charles. 
I comment:
Sorry, Pastor Kirchner, the "winky" emoji does not cover the tone-deaf, cold, unfeeling nature of that response.
   Don't know about your life, but in my life we are shut off from most human contact. Beloved Spouse and I are unable to do most of the things that brighten and enlighten us. We are worried about friends and family in the epicenter of the pandemic, and still adjusting to this damn Minnesota winter, which is right now dumping four or five inches of snow on the spinach we planted on our balcony.
   Let me say it straight. I'm not feeling very "Easter" right now. Tomorrow doesn't look good, either.
   When I wrote "Yes, Christ has risen. But to be honest, today it’s going to be hard to feel as if we have," it was a serious statement about seriously feeling bad. Oh, wait, I forgot, feelings don't matter. So I guess your snarky comment connected to a matter of serious disagreement between us felt funny to you.   
   Not to me.
   Everyone have a good day.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 02:26:28 PM »

I like the beard!
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS