Author Topic: This year's Good Friday  (Read 738 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
This year's Good Friday
« on: April 10, 2020, 07:36:27 PM »
For most of the last 33 years, I've participated in a noon service at my present church, and an evening service at my previous church--both ecumenical services with Lutheran, Episcopal and Methodist participants. (Actually since I retired, I've not attended the service at Peace Lutheran . . . social distancing, you know.)

This year we watched what was a combined service--at Peace Lutheran, but sort of a hybrid of the usual noon and evening services (which have always been rather different, though both centered on the St. John gospel). It was not very satisfying; the music was mediocre, the service generally not too inspiring.

But then we watched a YouTube video of a performance of the St. John Passion by the Netherlands Bach Society, and it was stunning. I am deeply moved. If you have a couple of hours, let the 5th Evangelist bless you:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMf9XDQBAaI
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Re: This year's Good Friday
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 11:24:07 PM »
We finished our Good Friday by tuning in to my daughter's Good Friday service in New York. Really lovely. She has generally adopted a version of Tenebrae that I developed over my 30 years at Peace Lutheran, and with the help of her crew, it was translated in a lovely way to an online service.

My one beef--not with her, but with ELW. Why the heck did they have to screw up the words to the great Samuel Crossman hymn, "My Song Is Love Unknown"? I suppose they were trying to avoid the line "but men made strange and none the longed for Christ would know"--but to do it, they cast much of the poem into the first person plural rather than third person plural, sort of like what they did with the Psalms. Totally ruins it. Ugh. One more reason to dislike the ELW (as if there weren't enough already).
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS