Author Topic: Silver linings  (Read 826 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Silver linings
« on: April 02, 2020, 07:53:01 PM »
Maybe it would be salutary to have a thread where we talk about "silver linings" in the current crisis--things we've observed that may have long lasting positive effects. I don't really mean stories of kind and generous acts, though if you want to share those, that's OK. I'm thinking of things that may make a good difference in the long run.

My first thoughts:

At our local food ministry, most of the volunteers are seniors and so at higher risk, and about half of them have wisely decided to stay home. (The other half, like me, have maybe unwisely decided we want to keep helping.) So the ministry put out a plea, and each day there have been scads of new volunteers--Boy Scouts, high school students, furloughed middle-aged people, even some other older folks--showing up and working for one to five hours. I suspect at least some of them will find it so rewarding that they continue to help when this is over.

On a more personal note, we've met several neighbors for the first time as everyone seems to be out walking (and we have a neighborhood where that is possible; little traffic even in normal times, lots of room to stand six feet apart and chat). We've lived on this street for 33 years and hardly known anyone; met a lot more after we retired and were walking the dog during the day instead of the wee hours of the dawn; but now we've met even more.

And in terms of church: I think the end result of this will be that we have significantly upped out game in terms of using digital media to expand the church's ministry.

How about you?
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Pasgolf

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Silver linings
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 09:08:17 PM »
I second Richard's notation of using social media.  The online meeting capability saves time saves gas and allows for face time.
Mark (retired pastor, golfs the pastures) Renner

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 01:41:24 PM »
We have had more family dinners than before, because everyone is home.  More contact with distant family and friends via technology. 
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 01:58:58 PM »
And in terms of church: I think the end result of this will be that we have significantly upped out game in terms of using digital media to expand the church's ministry.

How about you?

The much larger neighboring LCMS congregation had been live streaming well before the COVID-19 crisis.  As a smaller rural church I guess we just didn't think about it.  Lots of older people.  Probably thought there wouldn't be much need or interest.  Then all this happened.  We didn't have choice.  And we discovered in the end that this is something that should be done crisis or no crisis.  Partly for our shut-ins (who can access it), partly for the sick at home, partly for the weekend working nurses, etc. We are reaching hundreds we never thought about.  Sometimes it takes a crisis to get you to think a bit differently. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI