Author Topic: In Memoriam HCM+  (Read 1661 times)

Weedon

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: In Memoriam HCM+
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 05:24:41 PM »
https://weedon.blogspot.com/2020/03/hcm_94.html

You are too modest to quote yourself but the final paragraph deserves as wide an audience as possible:

Thank You for making him Your own in the Baptismal waters, for all the times You fed Him in the Eucharist with the medicine of immortality which a man may eat of and not die, but live in You forevermore; thank You for Your never-failing presence with him through all the years of his pilgrimage, and above all thank You for his Baptism now completed, and thank You for the promise of the resurrection and reunion in heaven with all who die in faith in You.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

PrTim15

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 05:50:46 PM »
The dinner he and his dear wife had when he preached at St. Johnís Orange, was vintage Herb.  He was soft and kind and loved the church and the Lord Jesus.  We sat in Newport Beach and just enjoyed the sea air, great food and a beautiful evening.  When I vicared in Southern Illlinois District, Herb was a parish pastor in Columbia.  We had a very cool circuit and guys were faithful to one another.  He took time with me in kindness and worked to listen before he spoke.  He was not a politician to me, but a pastor, and frequently talked about not being a part of the ďadministrationĒ.  God be with this fine manís family and God grant the comfort and consolation.  What a fine churchman and child of God. Peace to all who grieve.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 06:29:28 PM »
A very nice tribute.  I wish that I could have known him personally, but only knew him from a distance.  That was my loss.  I pray his example of churchmanship lives long after him, and is modeled by many in positions of leadership of our synod.  Thank you for your words of remembrance and your witness to the gospel.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Daniel Lee Gard

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 07:00:05 PM »
A few years ago, Herb and I sat together in the Chapel of Our Lord at Concordia University Chicago. While we sang the fourth verse of "O Blessed Spring", Herb looked at me and said, "Soon that will be us." He was right.

As winter comes, as winters must,
We breathe our last, return to dust;
Still held in Christ, our souls take wing
And trust the promise of the spring.

Thank you, Pastor Weedon, for expressing what many of us cannot. Christ is Risen!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 07:07:08 PM by Daniel Lee Gard »

Padre Emeritus

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 08:58:43 PM »
I first met Herb when he was the District President at my Colloquy into the Holy Ministry.  After being grilled and being left bleeding and wounded, but also blessed (I exaggerate, but just a little) Herb came over and introduced himself.  He spent several minutes asking about my preparation and explained that he had a man like me in his District who was serving a church, and that the man needed to be Ordained.  He was the only person who checked on how I was doing after the session, and asked if he could contact me for more information and asked if I could provide him with encouragement to hang in there.  I never heard back from him or the Deacon, but will always remember him as a man of deep humility and keen sense of the Church.  Eternal light, grant unto him, O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon him.  Amen
The Old Padre Dave Poedel, now retired, coming back to catch up with friends, old and new

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 09:08:32 PM »
A very fine bishop and pastor, indeed. I met him only occasionally but always found him genuine. Clearly a great loss to the Church catholic.

Peace, JOHN HANNAH
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 10:34:13 PM »
I'm sure information on the funeral service will be posted.  The current situation will keep me from going in person.  But I would like to send condolences and a remembrance to Faith and the family. 

Herb entered the LCMS Council of Presidents one term after I did.  The reality of the relationships in that assembly is, or at least was, far different from the ultraconservative publications views.  Ecclesiastical supervision at the judicatory level brought us all together in one vocation; the expectation was/is that we should provide some guidance at the national level as well.  But the vocation is primarily pastoral/ecclesiastical supervision locally - and we were and are all in the same vocational boat.

So a friend and mentor of Herb's was a friend and mentor of mine.  That was George Wollenburg (+).  And whatever other differences we might have had, we all desired to serve the Church in our vocation in a pastoral manner.  Not saying 'bylaws be darned,' but saying that our experience in congregational shepherding was the guiding light for district shepherding.

Several specific times together stand out.  After the events of September 11 and subsequently the Prayer for America event at Yankee Stadium, there was a combined gathering of the Seminary faculties with the COP in April of 2002.  At the instigation of George and Herb, I met with those two plus Jim Keurulainen to determine a way to end the process that had been undertaken with an apology that would be suitable and be published.  We called ourselves the Heart Attack Team, because - we had all had heart attacks.  It was of course my apology but it was going to be crafted by this small team, and I was fine with it because of the relationships among us.  Without going into all the details, we came up with a document we were all committed to, and in the way of our denomination, it went down the drain and did not come before that assembly as a step toward going to the wider denomination.  That was painful and hurtful because it was a genuine effort that I thought, and think, was on point and evangelical.

As a result, in 2003, while my case was still in final determination, Herb and I were invited to a California pastoral conference along with Wallace Schulz.  Herb was the moderator; at the end, Wally and I shook hands as brothers in Christ. 

When Herb became First VP, of course his passion was the Koinonia Project, and he couldn't bring that through to the finish line.  His efforts with regard to the Wyoming/Atlantic District get-togethers were herculean, and I personally found the first gathering in New York extremely helpful and hopeful.

Another less known area to many was that the First VP handles the pastoral colloguy process.  He went to bat for several of our applicants to the degree that he came out personally to do interviews when it was necessary.

All these are ways to say that Herb honored his pastoral and supervisory vocations with a genuine concern for anyone and everyone involved; I will pray for Faith and the family (Faith went to school with my sister), with the assurance that he rests in peace with all the saints in light perpetual by God's grace in Christ Jesus.

Dave Benke

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 09:21:07 AM »
Thanks for sharing that beautiful tribute, Pr. W.

Herb Mueller was a Missouri statesman if there ever was one. I am so grateful for his efforts in the aforementioned Koinonia Project between the Atlantic and Wyoming Districts. I participated in three of those events: one in NY, one in WY, on at the FL-GA District offices in Orlando on a long super bowl weekend with a smaller cadre of dialoguers. He cared so much about his church body and he was so gracious. The KP afforded me the opportunity to get to know him personally and he extended his graciousness towards me.

I am praying for his family and keeping his witness in my memory.

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

FrPeters

• An Obedient Rebel
    • View Profile
    • Grace Lutheran Church Website
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 11:24:38 AM »
I have not posted here for a very long time but the passing of friend Herb compels me.

Herb would be loathe to hear the accolades that are being accorded him in death.  Ted Kennedy said in eulogizing his brother and our fallen President, My brother need not be idealized, or enlarged in death beyond what he was in life.  With Herb we are only acknowledging the man he was. He was a man of profound faith, and evangelical in the best sense of that term, and a gentleman whose kindness and compassion were genuine. He had a servant's heart and no ego at all.  That last part I say with some jealousy.  He was without a care about himself and it was ever, only, all for Jesus.  We have lost a good friend but more than that we have lost a great example.  He has been faithful to the end. Now there is laid up for him all that this life could not give -- the perfect fulfillment of God's eternal presence. Until the day when too shall join Him, let us offer God our thanks and praise for knowing and loving him.  To his beloved Faith and his whole family, I offer my deepest sympathies and prayers.  A giving man like Herb is great for a church but his self-less service can be hard on his family.  My the Lord fill them with comfort, consolation, hope, and peace.
Fr Larry Peters
Grace LCMS, Clarksville, TN
http://www.pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com/