Author Topic: Worship can be livestreamed, but communion can't?  (Read 57990 times)

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Re: Worship can be livestreamed, but communion can't?
« Reply #165 on: March 27, 2020, 09:17:05 PM »
I think it would be meet, right and salutary for the ECLA to take a church-wide survey of admission practice with regard to the Eucharist according to the ELCA guidelines as they've been presented.  Let's say 90% of the congregations/pastors follow them.  At least you'd know that and it would indicate the guidelines are working.  If it's 42%, then the guidelines are toast.

Dave Benke

I agree. But I learned a couple of years back that the ELCA leadership doesn't even have a clue how many congregations offer the Eucharist weekly. They could tell you, however, how many of them use Augsburg Fortress VBS materials.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 27, 2020, 09:19:33 PM »

My last conference, where I did go to conference meeting, I would guess all ten congregations followed the guidelines. (Richard Johnson was in the same conference and has been then longer than I was. He can offer his opinion.)

It's been a very long time since you were here, Brian.

I haven't been to a conference meeting since I retired (I've thought about going once or twice, but never quite found a reason to think it was good time management to drive 30 minutes for it; well, the 30 minute drive might be better than the two hour meeting, actually, judging from the usual stated agenda). What I know about communion practices comes from attending the churches on occasion.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 27, 2020, 09:53:32 PM »
I think it would be meet, right and salutary for the ECLA to take a church-wide survey of admission practice with regard to the Eucharist according to the ELCA guidelines as they've been presented.  Let's say 90% of the congregations/pastors follow them.  At least you'd know that and it would indicate the guidelines are working.  If it's 42%, then the guidelines are toast.

Dave Benke

I agree. But I learned a couple of years back that the ELCA leadership doesn't even have a clue how many congregations offer the Eucharist weekly. They could tell you, however, how many of them use Augsburg Fortress VBS materials.

Whatever is really important.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2020, 11:11:05 PM »

Dave Benke

Whatever is really important.

I am now 10 years removed from the ELCA, but somewhere along the line (1990-2009) I vaguely recall one annual parochial report form asking about Communion practices...it may have been on common cup vs. pouring chalice vs. individual prefilled cups; but it definitely was not about frequency of celebration.
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
ELCA Communion Frequency
« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2020, 01:33:40 PM »

From the ELCA Annual Congregation Report for the year ending December 31, 2006:

40.  How often is Holy Communion celebrated as part of the Sunday worship service?  If you have more than one service, report for the one that has the largest average attendance.  Do not report weekday or Saturday communion services  (Check only one).
      _  Weekly
      _  Twice a month
      _  Twice a month plus festivals
      _  Monthly
      _  Monthly plus festivals
      _  Quarterly
      _  Other __________________

If Holy Communion is NOT celebrated weekly at the principal worship service of
          this congregation is there another liturgy at which communion is offered weekly?
          _  Yes      _  No       _  Do not know

When you distribute the cup, do you offer (Check all that apply):
     _  Wine            _  Juice          _  De-alcoholized wine

Granted, "not having a clue" is not necessarily equivalent to "having no relevant data."

Pax, Steven+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
Re: ELCA Communion Frequency
« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »

40.  How often is Holy Communion celebrated as part of the Sunday worship service?  If you have more than one service, report for the one that has the largest average attendance.  Do not report weekday or Saturday communion services  (Check only one).
      _  Weekly
      _  Twice a month
      _  Monthly
      _  Quarterly

this congregation is there another liturgy at which communion is offered weekly?

Granted, "not having a clue" is not necessarily equivalent to "having no relevant data."

Pax, Steven+

That's really a pretty good start, although now fourteen years old.  Another question or two on reception eligibility would be interesting additions.  Designing those questions would be a treat.

Dave Benke

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 28, 2020, 03:22:10 PM »
Did anyone ever publish the results of that ELCA survey? I wonder if the LCMS has ever done anything like that; it would be interesting.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 28, 2020, 04:01:25 PM »

_  Weekly
      _  Twice a month
      _  Monthly
      _  Quarterly

Pax, Steven+

I wonder if those statistics were ever published anywhere? Oh, and then those statistics would now be 14 years old! Then there's the question of whether the current staff people even know such old statistics exist. When I asked a couple of years ago, the answer was not "We have statistics, but they are 10 years old" but "No, we don't have any statistics on that."

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 28, 2020, 04:09:47 PM »
I am thankful to know that my memory has not faded.

On that report I responded "weekly" and "juice."
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chuck

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 28, 2020, 06:02:38 PM »
I wonder if those statistics were ever published anywhere? Oh, and then those statistics would now be 14 years old! Then there's the question of whether the current staff people even know such old statistics exist. When I asked a couple of years ago, the answer was not "We have statistics, but they are 10 years old" but "No, we don't have any statistics on that."
Pg. 66 of the Secretary's Report
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 06:08:30 PM by Chuck »
Chuck Ruthroff

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. óGeorge Bernard Shaw

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 28, 2020, 06:40:22 PM »
Oh my gosh, Chuck, you still have that stuff around? You need to do some pruning, my friend!  ;D

But interesting that 14 years ago not quite 50% of ELCA churches offered the Eucharist weekly at the principle service. I imagine we've made some progress since then, but if this really mattered to the powers that be, we'd have more recent statistics and there would be a continuing but gentle urging in that direction.

Chuck

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 28, 2020, 07:14:06 PM »
Oh my gosh, Chuck, you still have that stuff around? You need to do some pruning, my friend!  ;D

But interesting that 14 years ago not quite 50% of ELCA churches offered the Eucharist weekly at the principle service. I imagine we've made some progress since then, but if this really mattered to the powers that be, we'd have more recent statistics and there would be a continuing but gentle urging in that direction.
Heh...I have every year since 1988. I'm a stats nut, you know.
Chuck Ruthroff

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. óGeorge Bernard Shaw

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 28, 2020, 10:30:01 PM »
Bill Tucker, lead pastor at Concordia San Antonio (LCMS), is planning to celebrate the Lord's Supper this weekend over the internet.  He has encouraged the members of the congregation to provide their own bread and wine or grape juice, make a special home altar, and then when it is time for the Lord's Supper to be celebrated, Pastor Tucker will speak the Words of Institution and the people at their homes will repeat the words after him.  He also has provided a recipe for people to make unleavened bread if they wish.  He says that he has consulted with his church council and the Texas District president and has their approval, permission. 

I'd post a link to his 2:48 video message, but I have a heresy filter on my computer that won't allow such stuff to be viewed. 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2020, 10:49:54 PM »
Tim Bayer, lead pastor at Our Savior in Washington State (LCMS) is doing the same thing as Concordia, San Antonio.  Get the elements, repeat the Words of Institution after the pastor says them, etc.  His video was 1:47 in length.  It was as if they were using talking points.  Pastor Bayer didn't implicate his DP in this, just the church council and the other pastors on staff.  They are all very excited, according to the video. 

This makes two congregations that will do...something.  I don't know what it is, but it won't be Holy Communion.  Maybe everything old is new again, as we return to Corinth?

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

readselerttoo

« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2020, 12:20:11 AM »
Bill Tucker, lead pastor at Concordia San Antonio (LCMS), is planning to celebrate the Lord's Supper this weekend over the internet.  He has encouraged the members of the congregation to provide their own bread and wine or grape juice, make a special home altar, and then when it is time for the Lord's Supper to be celebrated, Pastor Tucker will speak the Words of Institution and the people at their homes will repeat the words after him.  He also has provided a recipe for people to make unleavened bread if they wish.  He says that he has consulted with his church council and the Texas District president and has their approval, permission. 

I'd post a link to his 2:48 video message, but I have a heresy filter on my computer that won't allow such stuff to be viewed. 

Jeremy

https://www.concordia.cc/home

Whatís so heretical about it?