Author Topic: Online Worship Resources  (Read 16073 times)

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Online Worship Resources
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 11:45:44 PM »
Let us offer this prayer in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Lord Jesus Christ our God, You traveled through towns and villages “curing every disease and illness.” At Your command, the sick were made well. Come to our aid now, in the midst of the global spread of the coronavirus, that we may experience Your healing love.

Heal those O Lord who are sick with the virus. May they regain their strength and health through quality medical care.

Heal us from our fears, which prevents nations from working together and neighbors from helping one another.

Heal us from our pride, which can make us claim invulnerability to a disease that knows no borders.

Lord Jesus Christ, healer of all and physician of our souls and bodies, stay by our side in this time of uncertainty and sorrow.

Be with those who have died from the virus. May they be at rest with you in your eternal peace.

Be with the families of those who are sick or have died. As they worry and grieve, defend them from illness and despair. May they know Your peace.

Be with the doctors, nurses, researchers and all medical professionals who seek to heal and help those affected and who put themselves at risk in the process. May they know Your protection and peace.

Be with the leaders of all nations. Give them the foresight to act with charity and true concern for the well-being of the people they are meant to serve. Give them the wisdom to invest in long-term solutions that will help prepare for or prevent future outbreaks. May they know Your peace, as they work together to achieve it on earth.

Whether we are home or abroad, surrounded by many people suffering from this illness or only a few, Lord Jesus Christ, stay with us as we endure and mourn, persist and prepare. In place of our anxiety, give us your peace.

For You are the Physician of our souls and bodies Christ our God and to You do we offer glory, thanksgiving and worship together with Your Eternal Father and Your All Holy Good and Lifegiving Spirit now and forever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

[Source:  All Saints’ Greek Orthodox Church, Canonsburg PA]
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

James J Eivan

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2020, 02:27:06 AM »
  Thanks Steve.  I don't know how you or others are experiencing it (and in your case providing pastoral care to a dying member), but I'm finding the live-streaming thing in an almost empty sanctuary to be more emotionally and physically draining. 
Perhaps a time that we lay people should more fervently pray for our pastors ... and reach out to them to encourage and thank them.

This week's email included a list of the ways to contact the pastor who closed by saying "If you wonder "Should I call the pastor?" The answer is Yes!"

Call him ... thank him, tell him you are praying for him! At least one pastor I know tells his parishioners that he covets their prayers ... one type of coveting that is God pleasing.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 07:11:44 PM »
  Thanks Steve.  I don't know how you or others are experiencing it (and in your case providing pastoral care to a dying member), but I'm finding the live-streaming thing in an almost empty sanctuary to be more emotionally and physically draining. 
Perhaps a time that we lay people should more fervently pray for our pastors ... and reach out to them to encourage and thank them.

This week's email included a list of the ways to contact the pastor who closed by saying "If you wonder "Should I call the pastor?" The answer is Yes!"

Call him ... thank him, tell him you are praying for him! At least one pastor I know tells his parishioners that he covets their prayers ... one type of coveting that is God pleasing.

One of the joys of retirement is that I now have the privilege of praying for my pastor.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

therevev

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2020, 02:39:45 PM »
Updates from what we are doing at Our Shepherd in Birmingham, Michigan.
We have been providing a devotion on Facebook Live, later posted on our YouTube channel, at 8:45am and 8:45pm Monday-Friday. We are live-streaming on Facebook and YouTube our services. I have led Bible study the last two weeks at our normal education hour time. I ask people to ask questions in the comments section of either YouTube or Facebook Live. I have also led our women's Bible study on Zoom. Our high school youth and middle school have been meeting together on zoom.

http://Facebook.com/ourshepherdlutheranchurch
You can also find our YouTube channel at http://ourshepherd.news/Youtube

We created a landing page on our website http://ourshepherd.net for people to find updated information and are sending out emails with constant contact about twice a week.

Throughout this process we have tried to continue to provide time for people to be in the Word of God together. We surveyed our congregation if they wanted recorded services that were uploaded or live services that may have some buffering problems but then also would be available for viewing later. They overwhelming asked for live services to provide a time for shared viewing. There is something about live, that polished-live-without-mistakes viewing doesn't provide.
----
Evan
Pastor in Michigan

James J Eivan

« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2020, 04:31:47 PM »
therevrev:
Your congregation may benefit from the 'premiere' youtube function.   St. Paul Lutheran Church Austin is the only channel I have seen this function used.  I'm not a YouTube techie,  but apparently 'premiere' allows the channel to avoid the buffering issues by recording the service .... releasing it for viewing at a specific time permitting the congregation to share the service together.  It's interesting that during the 'premiere' of the service, clicking on the service url joins the service in progress .... rather that at the beginning of the service as with the normal YouTube link.

This evening's service is scheduled to premiere at 6:30p central either at their YouTube channel or at https://www.stpaulaustin.org/live/
I fondly remember worshiping at Our Shepherd with classmates during the 'Pastor A' era of the '70's while a student at CUAA.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 05:40:31 PM by James Eivan »

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2020, 03:50:46 PM »
The Michigan District LCMS in 2017 began a project of preparing new worship resources for congregations. https://www.thehymnalproject.com/  Part of the project has been preparing videos of public domain hymns with words, accompaniment (piano or guitar) and a vocalist. Being public domain, there are no copyright concerns about downloading them and using them in a congregation's online service. https://vimeo.com/showcase/6931887 
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2020, 08:13:53 PM »
The Michigan District LCMS in 2017 began a project of preparing new worship resources for congregations. https://www.thehymnalproject.com/  Part of the project has been preparing videos of public domain hymns with words, accompaniment (piano or guitar) and a vocalist. Being public domain, there are no copyright concerns about downloading them and using them in a congregation's online service. https://vimeo.com/showcase/6931887

This is very helpful! 

Weedon

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2020, 06:51:59 PM »
Enjoy this treat from the amazing Paul Soulek: https://www.facebook.com/514122261996521/posts/3610823255659724/

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2020, 09:22:07 PM »

With worship services on Youtube I am able to be part of my husband's Saturday evening Mass.  Last night I thought the pastor looked drawn and tired.  I can't imagine the burden our pastors are carrying from providing worship and the logistics therein, caring for members yet not allowed to visit nursing homes or hospitals, caring about the financial impact to the church.  It's overwhelming.  I agree,  James.  Prayer is quite in order.

James J Eivan

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2020, 01:34:37 AM »
From Rev Weedon's congregation 's Facebook page ...
Holy Monday,  Tuesday,  and Wednesday services @ noon central.

Link to the Facebook page is https://m.facebook.com/stpaulhamel/?__tn__=C-R
You will have to scroll down to find the appropriate day's service stream.

James J Eivan

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2020, 12:16:29 PM »
Saint Athanasius Lutheran has Holy Week Services streamed on line at 7:30p daily thru Holy Saturday available through their website and their YouTube channel. Past services are available for on demand viewing as well.  Service folders are available for a time following the live streaming of the service.

James J Eivan

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2020, 02:12:49 AM »
Because some congregations Holy Week Service schedule differ from their Lenten Services, perhaps it would be good to post Holy Week Service schedule in the event that some forum members and guests are in need of ane on line worship service.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2020, 08:21:30 AM »
St. Peter's in Brooklyn is livestreaming tonight and tomorrow night (Holy Thursday/Good Friday) at 7 PM EDT, and on the Day of the Resurrection at 10 AM EDT at
www.spbklyn.org, and Facebook or You Tube at St. Peter's Lutheran Brooklyn.

Tonight the service theme is Ritual Healing, tomorrow the Stations of the Cross (from the Lutheran Hymnal This Far By Faith); Easter will feature songs and hymns of the Resurrection and lots of prayer under the theme I Believe in the Resurrection of the Body.

Dave Benke

James J Eivan

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2020, 10:59:38 AM »
This Far by Faith is a lutheran hymnal ... in no way associated with the highly acclaimed 1941 The Lutheran Hymnal.

Of note, it has NOT received approval by the LCMS to be used in its congregations or by its pastors. 

Apparently its use is a violation or the voluntary covenant that pastors agree to when they join the Synod.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2020, 12:27:10 PM »

This Far by Faith was developed by a cooperative inter-church process by the ELCA and LCMS, so we had a hand in developing it, although in the end it was not officially approved by the LCMS. It is on the recommended reading list of the LCMS Black Ministry.

In the LCMS pastors and churches we are expected to use orthodox worship materials that reflect the teachings of the Bible as understood in the Lutheran Confessions and the LCMS. While there is frequent discussion about whether or not certain worship texts and practices do reflect orthodox teaching, I think that it is generally understood that it is the responsibility of the pastor loci to determine what does and does not comport with orthodoxy and orthopraxy. We are not restricted to only use worship material that has been through official synodical doctrinal review and received an official synodical nihil obstat seal of approval.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:29:50 PM by Dan Fienen »
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS