Author Topic: Online Worship Resources  (Read 16077 times)

Birkholz

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Faith Lutheran Church
Re: Online Worship Resources
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 07:16:52 PM »
At Faith, Oak Lawn we are continuing to stream Wednesday Evening Lenten Services at 7:00p and Sunday morning services at 9:00a.  We also added an informal prayer vigil on Thursday evenings at 7:00p (all times Central).

These are all hosted at our Facebook page:
www.facebook.com/faithoaklawn

Several other LCMS pastors have joined with me in offering evening prayer vigils, so that they are now available every evening of the week except for Sunday:
https://www.facebook.com/Nightly-Prayer-Vigils-During-A-Time-Of-Pandemic-108724764094929/
Pastor Mark Birkholz
Faith Evangelical Lutheran Church
Oak Lawn, IL
www.faithoaklawn.org

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 07:48:41 PM »
How often should pastors 'take to the airwaves' to communicate with their parishoners?  Until we can join together as one as a congregation in worship - together as one not from our living rooms but side by side in the pew.

Two weeks ago we held our last worship service in who knows how long.  Governor Murphy didn't outright ban religious services but we thought it prudent, especially given the population density of the state, the proximity to NYC, and our own cases rapidly growing. 

We were instructed to tune in to our Facebook page at 10:25 and immediately names started popping up - people announcing their presence.  When the service started (Pastor, organist, and tech guru) I just cried.  The tears were more of joy.  I can't tell you the peace I found not only in the worship service but in seeing my Pastor lead, preach, caring for us in a new way.  I hope pastors understand how intimate the relationship is between pastor and lay member.   You are on the front lines of our highs and our lows.  When my husband died I called 911 but my next call was to my Pastor who was by my side in about 10 minutes.  I realized how important it is to be able to have some type of contact with my pastor and how important it is to have contact with the members of the congregation. 

We have dealt with the lack of the Eucharist and that is paramount in our virtual worship.  But for many laity the relationship of pastor and congregant is, in a sense, sacramental.  By virtue of your ordination and the Call extended a unique relationship is born.  We do long for the Sacrament but we also long for the caring presence of our pastor - one who Christ placed in our midst.

My Pastor knows the past weeks have been difficult and we are in touch often.  Today he asked if i wanted to work on an on-line service using Service of the Word (which is what we decided to use) and the Great Litany for the Fifth Sunday in Lent.  He knows me well.  I enjoyed having something to focus on and I love liturgy.  Then we sadly acknowledged that we should probably start putting together some worship resources for Holy Week and Easter.  It's highly unlikely we can return for some time.  But I pray that God will strengthen him in his ministry to lead us, week after week as I know that not only did it offer me peace but others as well.  And I will pray that God will strengthen the pastors here to the ministry to which you have been called.

Short question but, as always, long answer.

James J Eivan

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 07:54:38 PM »
Immanuel Lutheran, Greenfield, IA and Faith Lutheran, Winterset, IA Sunday Worship Service for March 22 is available here.

Currently archived services and subsequent services are available here.
This week's Lenten Service by Rev. Dr. Keith Schweizer of Greenfield/Winterset, IA has been posted.
I've visited the Greenfield area on a number of occasions  ... but never on a weekend in order to worship there. My understanding is that the Internet infrastructure even in the urban area is woefully inadequate due to the bankruptcy of the local Internet provider. Locals indicate that bandwidth is unreliable  ... rendering livestreaming attempts choppy to impossible.  From what I understand,  uploading files similar to a church service can take 6-8 hours, with the possibility of failure and repeating the upload process from the beginning.
For those locations with poor/no Internet service, recording a service in a sanctuary to be uploaded from an alternate location hopefully with adequate Internet service.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 07:46:55 AM »
How often should pastors 'take to the airwaves' to communicate with their parishoners?  Until we can join together as one as a congregation in worship - together as one not from our living rooms but side by side in the pew.

Two weeks ago we held our last worship service in who knows how long.  Governor Murphy didn't outright ban religious services but we thought it prudent, especially given the population density of the state, the proximity to NYC, and our own cases rapidly growing. 

We were instructed to tune in to our Facebook page at 10:25 and immediately names started popping up - people announcing their presence.  When the service started (Pastor, organist, and tech guru) I just cried.  The tears were more of joy.  I can't tell you the peace I found not only in the worship service but in seeing my Pastor lead, preach, caring for us in a new way.  I hope pastors understand how intimate the relationship is between pastor and lay member.   You are on the front lines of our highs and our lows.  When my husband died I called 911 but my next call was to my Pastor who was by my side in about 10 minutes.  I realized how important it is to be able to have some type of contact with my pastor and how important it is to have contact with the members of the congregation. 

We have dealt with the lack of the Eucharist and that is paramount in our virtual worship.  But for many laity the relationship of pastor and congregant is, in a sense, sacramental.  By virtue of your ordination and the Call extended a unique relationship is born.  We do long for the Sacrament but we also long for the caring presence of our pastor - one who Christ placed in our midst.

My Pastor knows the past weeks have been difficult and we are in touch often.  Today he asked if i wanted to work on an on-line service using Service of the Word (which is what we decided to use) and the Great Litany for the Fifth Sunday in Lent.  He knows me well.  I enjoyed having something to focus on and I love liturgy.  Then we sadly acknowledged that we should probably start putting together some worship resources for Holy Week and Easter.  It's highly unlikely we can return for some time.  But I pray that God will strengthen him in his ministry to lead us, week after week as I know that not only did it offer me peace but others as well.  And I will pray that God will strengthen the pastors here to the ministry to which you have been called.

Thank you, Eileen. Very well done! I am going to share this with the deaconesses and pastors of my circuit (Bronx, Westchester, and Manhattan). I will note that you grew up at Redeemer and Our Saviour (school) here.   :)

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

James J Eivan

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 10:14:35 AM »
Pastor Todd Peperkorn, Holy Cross Lutheran, Rocklin, CA is also Chair of the St Louis Seminary’s Board of Regents.  Holy Cross at Prayer utilizes both Mailchimp and YouTube to provide a written devotion as well as a video devotion daily ... and are archived on their YouTube channel.  Worship services can be viewed through their web page as well as their YouTube channel page as well.

Holy Cross at Prayer is rather unique in that the written devotion mirrors exactly the YouTube presentation .... so whether one is a book worm or a videophile, Holy Cross at Prayer has a version available. It is very easy to subscribe to Holy Cross at Prayer[size=78%].[/size]

Rob Morris

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 10:39:06 AM »
A statement that aptly describes our earthly, Lenten journey - and especially that of grief. God grant you a certain comfort and peace by His Spirit.

James J Eivan

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 11:39:24 PM »
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:43:14 PM by James Eivan »

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 08:24:40 AM »
Along with Jeremy, St. Peter's in Brooklyn here in the epicenter is live-streaming twice a week, on Sundays at 10 EDT and on Wednesdays at 7 PM (St. Peter's Lutheran Brooklyn on Facebook and www.spbklyn.org website).  This week our deaconess will begin midweek sessions on Spiritual Health on Wednesdays at noon (facebook) and Thursday (zoom).  We are also using Zoom meetings for youth check-ins and going forward for other check-ins.  We have found a growing number of folks from around the country looking in on Sunday and Wednesday - both are specifically less formal.  We are and I am not used to that, and we can always switch it to more formal/liturgical, but that's the way we have begun the live-streaming/home-based approach and it was affirmed by pretty much everyone who weighed in on it.  Today we're going to have a more real-time online prayer request with me interacting from my laptop on the the John Hannah-crafted St. Peter's podium. 

Dave Benke

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 08:42:53 AM »
"Today we're going to have a more real-time online prayer request with me interacting from my laptop on the the John Hannah-crafted St. Peter's podium."

;D

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 10:46:02 AM »
Just finished our live radio/internet service.  If it could go wrong, it did.  Batteries went dead in my mic during the opening announcements.  Radio lost our signal.  Recorded music was initially WAY too loud, then stopped with a glitch.  And I was operating on just a couple hours of sleep, after being with a dying member at the hospital until the wee hours of the morning.  But it is there, I think, or will be shortly, on the church's website: oursaviorslutheranchurchcrookston.org

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 08:03:34 PM »
On March 24 I posted a question: "How often should pastors 'take to the airwaves' to communicate with their parishoners?"  Eileen responded with a very thought-filled and thoughtful answer. A thank you to her for taking time to offer her insights.

We have now live streamed two Sunday services since they enforced the minimum gathering number.  Both have exceeded expectations.  Using only my wife's iPhone and the regular mics in our sanctuary and the service of Facebook, we have provided a resource that reaches several hundred.  From a simple, rural church in the middle of nowhere that doesn't even have its own internet service.  FB metrics inform us that we had 758 "views" and that 391 people were "reached." There were two "shares."  I'm still not entirely sure what all that means, but I'm discovering that people truly appreciate what we are doing, and then they "share" it with others, and voila, we are reaching folks all over the place - current members, older members, former members, members of neighboring churches, people from as far away as Florida. 

But that is not the only time I "take to the airwaves," as it were.  After attempting to do a midweek Lenten devotion with a homily I would have used in our usual Wednesday service, I transitioned to posting a live streamed 10 - 15 minute devotion every day, except Sunday.  Besides the first Wednesday I have now posted five additional live streamed segments.  I try to keep them shorter, but I do them every day, and try to make sure they are at the same time as well (10 a.m.), with the exception of when I am tied up in Zoom meetings with the district.  Again, the metrics indicate that several hundred are being "reached."  I think it is important to see your own local shepherd and hear his voice.  There is something reassuring to know that even with extreme modification church goes on.  It does not stop. 

Having never been down this road before I feel, like other clergy, that we are figuring this out as we go along.  Holy Week is fast approaching, and I know there has been discussion about postponing it until after the pandemic has passed.  I am not going to do that.  Holy Week may be remotely broadcast, but the services will be held.  Not sure exactly how I'm going to do it, but we'll figure it out when we get to it, just like everything else the past two weeks.

Before the service began I went to my office and grabbed the rope for the bell in the bell tower and rang it the customary 29 times.  I did it in part to declare that services were going on even if only three physically gathered in the sanctuary.  I did it almost in a kind of defiance.  We are not shut down.  Let my neighbors hear the bell.  Let them know.  The Word is still being proclaimed. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 09:28:51 PM »
My classmate from Nashotah House, Fr. Steve Rice, an Episcopal priest (St. Timothy's Episcopal Church, Winston-Salem, NC), conducting a private mass with the assistance of his children, aged 8 and 11):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXTMNXUr2jw&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR36RIxn6ksgy0dRO43M43p2u8fz6wBJKEZPs8zGx7eY1SmNfBBgKGTL4Nk
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2020, 09:30:05 PM »
On March 24 I posted a question: "How often should pastors 'take to the airwaves' to communicate with their parishoners?"  Eileen responded with a very thought-filled and thoughtful answer. A thank you to her for taking time to offer her insights.

We have now live streamed two Sunday services since they enforced the minimum gathering number.  Both have exceeded expectations.  Using only my wife's iPhone and the regular mics in our sanctuary and the service of Facebook, we have provided a resource that reaches several hundred.  From a simple, rural church in the middle of nowhere that doesn't even have its own internet service.  FB metrics inform us that we had 758 "views" and that 391 people were "reached." There were two "shares."  I'm still not entirely sure what all that means, but I'm discovering that people truly appreciate what we are doing, and then they "share" it with others, and voila, we are reaching folks all over the place - current members, older members, former members, members of neighboring churches, people from as far away as Florida. 

But that is not the only time I "take to the airwaves," as it were.  After attempting to do a midweek Lenten devotion with a homily I would have used in our usual Wednesday service, I transitioned to posting a live streamed 10 - 15 minute devotion every day, except Sunday.  Besides the first Wednesday I have now posted five additional live streamed segments.  I try to keep them shorter, but I do them every day, and try to make sure they are at the same time as well (10 a.m.), with the exception of when I am tied up in Zoom meetings with the district.  Again, the metrics indicate that several hundred are being "reached."  I think it is important to see your own local shepherd and hear his voice.  There is something reassuring to know that even with extreme modification church goes on.  It does not stop. 

Having never been down this road before I feel, like other clergy, that we are figuring this out as we go along.  Holy Week is fast approaching, and I know there has been discussion about postponing it until after the pandemic has passed.  I am not going to do that.  Holy Week may be remotely broadcast, but the services will be held.  Not sure exactly how I'm going to do it, but we'll figure it out when we get to it, just like everything else the past two weeks.

Before the service began I went to my office and grabbed the rope for the bell in the bell tower and rang it the customary 29 times.  I did it in part to declare that services were going on even if only three physically gathered in the sanctuary.  I did it almost in a kind of defiance.  We are not shut down.  Let my neighbors hear the bell.  Let them know.  The Word is still being proclaimed.

:)

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 10:46:34 PM »
We use this collect as part of our online Evening Prayer everyday:

A Prayer in Time of Great Sickness and Mortality.
O Most mighty and merciful God, in this time of grievous sickness, we flee unto thee for succour. Deliver us, we beseech thee, from our peril; give strength and skill to all those who minister to the sick; prosper the means made use of for their cure; and grant that, perceiving how frail and uncertain our life is, we may apply our hearts unto that heavenly wisdom which leadeth to eternal life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Pastor Ken Kimball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 11:41:16 PM »
Just finished our live radio/internet service.  If it could go wrong, it did.  Batteries went dead in my mic during the opening announcements.  Radio lost our signal.  Recorded music was initially WAY too loud, then stopped with a glitch.  And I was operating on just a couple hours of sleep, after being with a dying member at the hospital until the wee hours of the morning.  But it is there, I think, or will be shortly, on the church's website: oursaviorslutheranchurchcrookston.org
  Thanks Steve.  I don't know how you or others are experiencing it (and in your case providing pastoral care to a dying member), but I'm finding the live-streaming thing in an almost empty sanctuary to be more emotionally and physically draining.