Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 685261 times)

JEdwards

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #5835 on: December 22, 2021, 02:10:49 PM »
The WHO is negative on booster shots.
WHO says vaccine booster programs will prolong Covid crisis: 'No country can boost its way out of the pandemic'

The CDC recommends a single booster shot for all adults 18 and up.
COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shots

Israel is now moving towards a second booster shot.
Israel announced on Tuesday that it will offer a fourth dose of the Covid-19 vaccine to people older than 60, amid concern about the spread of the omicron variant of the coronavirus.

The experts disagree.  Now what?
I think the differing recommendations are more related to different contexts and different priorities than to disagreement on basic facts.  While I have not yet seen it in recommendations related to COVID, it is becoming more common for medical guidelines to include some type of statement of assumed values, along the lines of "We think that most people would accept the risk of A in order to achieve the likelihood of outcome B."  When this is explicit, it helps patients and physicians decide whether accepting the recommendation makes sense in light of particular circumstances and priorities.  The WHO places a relatively high value on getting some vaccine-derived protection to all quarters of the globe, and a lower priority on the incremental benefit obtained from boosting, and assumes that the encouragement of boosters in relatively well-off countries will necessarily reduce the availability of vaccines in poorer countries.

Peace,
Jon

Coach-Rev

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Rev. Jeff Cottingham, STS
    • View Profile
    • Trinity Lutheran Church
« Reply #5836 on: December 22, 2021, 02:13:52 PM »
The WHO is negative on booster shots.
WHO says vaccine booster programs will prolong Covid crisis: 'No country can boost its way out of the pandemic'

The CDC recommends a single booster shot for all adults 18 and up.
COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Shots

Israel is now moving towards a second booster shot.
Israel announced on Tuesday that it will offer a fourth dose of the Covid-19 vaccine to people older than 60, amid concern about the spread of the omicron variant of the coronavirus.

The experts disagree.  Now what?

Just check with Charles.  He knows the right expert to follow.  ::) 8)
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

blog:  http://coach-rev.blogspot.com/
photography:  https://jeffcottingham.smugmug.com/

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #5837 on: December 22, 2021, 02:37:12 PM »
More importantly, Pastor Cottingham, I know what phony, self-appointed “experts”  not to follow.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 08:54:02 PM by Charles Austin »
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #5838 on: December 22, 2021, 02:52:07 PM »
If the Omicron variant is moving as fast as they say, and if it's as infectious as they claim, given the widespread travel and gatherings typical of the holiday season, I predict a sizeable uptick in infections nationwide, with a larger-than-normal amount of 'break through infections' among the vaccinated.  It will peak early in the year and then calm down.  I don't think we will see quite the number of deaths, but there will still be a number of hospitalizations.  This is not Christmas 2020 and folks are not going to stay home and huddle out of sight in semi-quarantine this time around. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: December 22, 2021, 04:17:56 PM »
I think the real issue is how you pronounce "omicron"--long o or short? I learned long in seminary Greek. What about you?
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #5840 on: December 22, 2021, 04:37:04 PM »
If the Omicron variant is moving as fast as they say, and if it's as infectious as they claim, given the widespread travel and gatherings typical of the holiday season, I predict a sizeable uptick in infections nationwide, with a larger-than-normal amount of 'break through infections' among the vaccinated.  It will peak early in the year and then calm down.  I don't think we will see quite the number of deaths, but there will still be a number of hospitalizations.  This is not Christmas 2020 and folks are not going to stay home and huddle out of sight in semi-quarantine this time around.

I'm finding a lot of people who are doing just that, Don - staying home with family, not in quarantine but also not galavanting, so to speak.  We have not been into the City yet this season, however, and will trundle in there next week, as well as to the incredible Holiday Train Show at the Bronx Botanical Gardens (https://www.nybg.org/event/holiday-train-show-2021/about/), so we'll see the level of wall to wall people to which our world has returned.  We have family members who are COVID positive right now, from this part of the world.   And the Packers are on national TV on Christmas day, so there's that.

Dave Benke

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #5841 on: December 22, 2021, 04:38:58 PM »

For me and my house, if they offer a second booster, we will take it.

Dave Benke
That is the attitude conservative generally take-- regardless of the what the WHO says (or the CDC, or the White House, or whatever) we will do what seems prudent and best to us, and we acknowledge that not everyone will agree.

One reason the WHO might not recommend continual boosters is that the medical distribution infrastructure is not really uniform across the globe. They might feel that some regions essentially surviving on boosters could keep the virus alive and mutating longer, to the detriment of regions that can't keep up with the boosters. In other words, it could be that they aren't saying more boosters would be medically bad for you or your neighbors. Rather, they might be saying that doing what is best for yourself and your neighbors might harm people far off. Who knows? Then it becomes a battle of which is more selfish, protecting your immediate neighbor and yourself at the expense of the WHO global goals, or endangering your neighbor and yourself in order to promote the WHO's global goals.

But wouldn't it be sinful to get the booster shot, then, since it would negatively affect others?  Isn't that what we have been hearing here from Rev. Austin and others? 

RDPreus

• View Profile
    • Christ For Us
« Reply #5842 on: December 22, 2021, 04:53:35 PM »
I think the real issue is how you pronounce "omicron"--long o or short? I learned long in seminary Greek. What about you?

A short o.  That's how I learned it in seminary Greek.  A long o is an omega.  Kind of like how a double a in Norwegian turns the sound from an ah to an owe.

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5843 on: December 22, 2021, 05:43:04 PM »
How to pronounce Omicron.

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5844 on: December 22, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »
And now I guess we can start arguing about Ivermectin again...

Results:  A  total  of 220,517  subjects  were  included  in the  analysis;  133,051  (60.3%) ivermectin users and 87,466 (39.7%) non-users. COVID-19 infection occurred in 4,311 (3.2%) treated subjects, and 3,034 (3.5%) non-treated subjects. This evidence showed a 7% reduction in COVID-19 infection rate with use of ivermectin: COVID-19 infection rate ratio (Risk ratio (RR) of 0.93; 95% confidence interval (CI), 0.89 – 0.98; p = 0.003). A total of  62  deaths (1.4% mortality  rate) occurred among  users and 79  deaths  (2.6% mortality rate) among non-users, showing a 48% reduction in mortality rate (RR, 0,52; 95%CI, 0.37 – 0.72; p = 0.0001). Risk of dying from COVID-19 among ivermectin users was 45% lower than non-users (RR, 0.55; 95%CI, 0.40 – 0.77; p = 0.0004).

Conclusion: Prophylactic  use of ivermectin  showed  significantly  reduced  COVID-19 infection  rate,  mortality  rate  and  chance  of  dying  from  COVID-19  on  a  calculated population-level analysis, which controlled for all relevant confounding variables.

Some may argue that a 7% decrease in infection rate isn't all that big.  However, remember that the Bangladeshi study showed a decrease with surgical masks on the order of 11% and we're constantly told how important masking is.  Also, this study showed the death rate was down 45% for Ivermectin users, which is a huge decrease.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5845 on: December 22, 2021, 07:03:30 PM »
The Wall St. Journal has an interesting piece (unfortunately I can’t seem to copy and paste the link; perhaps someone can help with that) showing that Fauci coordinated with the media to discredit in the press and public’s eyes any scientists (some of greater pedigree than Fauci) who disagreed with him on how to handle the pandemic, specifically the signers of the Barrington Declaration. Sadly, hindsight seems to indicate that we’d likely all be better off today if we’d followed the recommendations of the Barrington Declaration. But propaganda and “Science!” beat out the kind of genuine debate by which real science progresses.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #5846 on: December 22, 2021, 07:20:37 PM »

A short o.  That's how I learned it in seminary Greek.  A long o is an omega.  Kind of like how a double a in Norwegian turns the sound from an ah to an owe.

I learned the long "o" from a classical Greek professor in my prep school. That is to pronounce, "omicron." In Greek, it was to be pronounced with a short "o."
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5847 on: December 22, 2021, 07:34:41 PM »
The Wall St. Journal has an interesting piece (unfortunately I can’t seem to copy and paste the link; perhaps someone can help with that) showing that Fauci coordinated with the media to discredit in the press and public’s eyes any scientists (some of greater pedigree than Fauci) who disagreed with him on how to handle the pandemic, specifically the signers of the Barrington Declaration. Sadly, hindsight seems to indicate that we’d likely all be better off today if we’d followed the recommendations of the Barrington Declaration. But propaganda and “Science!” beat out the kind of genuine debate by which real science progresses.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fauci-collins-emails-great-barrington-declaration-covid-pandemic-lockdown-11640129116

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #5848 on: December 22, 2021, 09:11:19 PM »
Peter writes:
...showing that Fauci coordinated with the media to discredit in the press and public’s eyes any scientists (some of greater pedigree than Fauci) who disagreed with him on how to handle the pandemic, specifically the signers of the Barrington Declaration. Sadly, hindsight seems to indicate that we’d likely all be better off today if we’d followed the recommendations of the Barrington Declaration.

I comment:
Well, consider the larger picture, and don't start from an anti-Fauci point of view. As a public official, Dr. Fauci (I prefer the respectful title) has a job to do and his federal agency was developing a way to do that job. Then comes some others who say "you're not doing it right and here is the way to do it," that way contradicting major parts of the way the government agencies are proposing.
One must assume that Dr. Fauci and his colleagues read that Barrington report. And one can believe that they might have given it proper consideration, perhaps engaged in an internal debate about it. They subsequently decided, "no, we will do it our way. Furthermore, we find some of their proposals dangerous and we will oppose them if presented elsewhere."
What in the name of Aunt Gertie's Goat is wrong with that?
Furthermore, experience has now proven that a main thrust of the Barrington paper - wide open everything - would have been a bad idea.
I vaguely recall some television medical reporters expressing concern about the Barrington folks. And I am still trying to figure out the motives behind this "get-Fauci" campaign. Anti-Fauci folks seem to be those who don't like it that he stood up to the words of their guy, The Ex.
And Peter, your hindsight may "seem" to conclude that following the Barrington folks would make us better off. Mine doesn't. And a lot of people seem to agree with me.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 09:13:56 PM by Charles Austin »
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5849 on: December 22, 2021, 11:48:56 PM »
But that isn’t what he did. Disagree with the Barrington thing. Fine. Do what you’re going to do. But don’t treat disagreement as quackery, don’t engage in a propaganda war that divides America, don’t engage in blatant deceit, don’t coverup your own involvement with the Wuhan lab, and don’t claim that your collaboration with the media isn’t to blame for the politicization of the virus while projecting blame for that on anyone who dares disagree with you. On nearly every question, from sports to warfare to tax policy, there are multiple possible approaches with various pros and cons to each, and only one can prevail in any given circumstance. But the scorched earth effort by Fauci to claim that there was no legitimate question, that he is science and those who oppose him are opposed to science, was and is despicable and deserving of harsh condemnation. It has left nothing but division and distrust in its wake.