Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 348048 times)

Steven W Bohler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #3345 on: March 13, 2021, 06:09:10 PM »
Suppose we go back to talking about coronavirus on this thread?
Can one moderator moderate another moderator?

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #3346 on: March 13, 2021, 06:16:02 PM »
My wife and I are officially vaccinated as of today.  Both Pfizer shots in the arm plus fourteen days.  The only thing to do is to have another shot.  Possibly Scotch.

We have a thing here called NYCID, which is a city ID; plus of course your NYS Driver's License.  I've heard there's going to be a test plus vaccination certification for airplane flight on its way.  I kind of wish they could put that together with a legit form of ID so you could go from place to place for the purpose of entrance with at least the knowledge that you were fully vaccinated as of X date. 

That has, at least here, nothing to do with wearing masks either at school or church, or out and about.  Still the way to work through the next phase.  But the vaccination ID would be like an access pass - Clear is the one we use at baseball games and airports.

Dave Benke

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: March 13, 2021, 06:27:25 PM »
My wife and I are officially vaccinated as of today.  Both Pfizer shots in the arm plus fourteen days.  The only thing to do is to have another shot.  Possibly Scotch.

We have a thing here called NYCID, which is a city ID; plus of course your NYS Driver's License.  I've heard there's going to be a test plus vaccination certification for airplane flight on its way.  I kind of wish they could put that together with a legit form of ID so you could go from place to place for the purpose of entrance with at least the knowledge that you were fully vaccinated as of X date. 

That has, at least here, nothing to do with wearing masks either at school or church, or out and about.  Still the way to work through the next phase.  But the vaccination ID would be like an access pass - Clear is the one we use at baseball games and airports.

Dave Benke

Didn't you get a card from the CDC certifying your shots? I did in the Bronx.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: March 13, 2021, 07:34:41 PM »
One of the issues we have is that Indians has been way, way ahead of Illinois, and we’re right on the border. So some of the congregation is antsy about getting back to normal and some are still apparently months away from having the vaccine. We haven’t had any issue with people refusing it.

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: March 14, 2021, 01:39:38 PM »
It appears that on March 29th my wife I will be sick enough to be vaccinated.  On May 1, Wisconsin opens vaccination to all.  The only challenge is obtaining enough vaccine.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: March 14, 2021, 04:39:48 PM »
One of the issues we have is that Indians has been way, way ahead of Illinois,

I think the preferred term is now "indigenous people."  8)
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: March 14, 2021, 04:42:49 PM »

You seem to have quite an obsession with the moderation of this forum.  >:(
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: March 14, 2021, 04:53:37 PM »

You seem to have quite an obsession with the moderation of this forum.  >:(

Someone should.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: March 14, 2021, 09:50:32 PM »
So my wife tested positive for Covid this afternoon. Bah. Humbug. Now everyone in the household has to quarantine through next weekend (except me since I've had the shots). Let the good times roll.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3354 on: March 15, 2021, 03:19:26 AM »
Do the test again; there are at times false positives. She isn't vaccinated yet? Buy lots of ice cream and make pies. They help quarantine time.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Article coming up in Lutheran Forum journal. Now would be a good time to subscribe.
😉

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: March 15, 2021, 08:19:40 AM »
Do the test again; there are at times false positives. She isn't vaccinated yet? Buy lots of ice cream and make pies. They help quarantine time.
She had signed up for the vaccine but her appointment isn't/wasn't for another couple of weeks. The problem is that she has to continue teaching Latin from online and try to stay away from the six children, who if they get it will cause the whole family have to keep quarantining indefinitely as it makes its way through the household. Plus two of the kids are foster kids who can't visit their dad while in quarantine.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #3356 on: March 15, 2021, 08:30:26 AM »
She had signed up for the vaccine but her appointment isn't/wasn't for another couple of weeks. The problem is that she has to continue teaching Latin from online and try to stay away from the six children, who if they get it will cause the whole family have to keep quarantining indefinitely as it makes its way through the household. Plus two of the kids are foster kids who can't visit their dad while in quarantine.

Prayers ascend for your wife and family.

Dave Benke

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: March 15, 2021, 09:52:08 AM »
"Clergy Preach Faith in the COVID Vaccine to Doubters" - The New York Times (online), March 15 by Jan Hoffman
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/14/health/clergy-covid-vaccine.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20210314&instance_id=28065&nl=the-morning&regi_id=96069183&segment_id=53424&te=1&user_id=f513d46ebc73b988def4c2178d04ed50

During a recent Sunday service at the Gathering Place, an evangelical church in Orlando, Fla., the Rev. Gabriel Salguero focused his sermon on the Covid-19 vaccine, and the fear and suspicion that his largely Latino congregation clutches so tightly.

He turned to the New Testament: the parable of the good Samaritan, about the importance of aiding the stranger.

“In getting yourself vaccinated, you are helping your neighbor,” he preached to about 300 masked and socially distanced worshipers. “God wants you to be whole so you can care for your community. So think of vaccines as part of God’s plan.”

Mr. Salguero is among thousands of clergy members from a cross-section of faiths — imams, rabbis, priests, swamis — who are trying to coax the hesitant to get vaccinated against Covid-19. By weaving scripture with science, they are employing the singular trust vested in them by their congregations to dispel myths and disinformation about the shots. Many are even offering their sanctuaries as vaccination sites, to make the experience more accessible and reassuring.

The article goes on to note some religious objections by Catholics and Muslims.

But what about the members of your congregation who are not receiving the vaccine for other reasons?  Even if it is medically safe - and I believe it is and have received the shots - some of my members are not yet convinced.  And some of these are those in the medical field. Their reasons for resisting the vaccine are not religious.  Do I want to step into those debates and use my 'authority' as a faith leader to push the use of vaccines?

I think that it is a risky area for pastors to use the pulpit for this purpose.  Even my neighboring LCMS parish/school is not requiring its teachers to be vaccinated. 

« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 10:01:15 AM by D. Engebretson »
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: March 15, 2021, 10:14:47 AM »
It has never occurred to me to use the pulpit or even the announcements to urge people to get vaccinated. For one thing, I don't know many people who are opposed to the idea. But beyond that, the reasons people in general have for not wanting the vaccine do not involve lack of care for the neighbor. Some, like the VP, would not take it because they distrust the government that rushed the development process. Others distrust the science behind it. Some have had bad experiences with getting the disease they were being vaccinated against. Nobody refuses to get it because they don't care about their neighbor. I can think their reasons for not wanting it are goofy, but I can't use the office of pastor to vouch for the trustworthiness of the science or the government, or demand that people not doubt such things. I got the vaccine and let my congregation know. That shows I trusted the science and the government. That's as far as any teaching went.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: March 15, 2021, 10:53:41 AM »
When I get "social" announcements (like this vaccination information, or preschool screening at the public school, or posters from the county on services for the aging, and so on), we post them on the bulletin boards at church.  One board is kind of dedicated to such things.  Sometimes, if there is room, we also mention them in the bulletin announcements.  But I have not mentioned them in the verbal announcements before the service, let alone in a sermon.  Left-hand vs. right-hand sort of thing.

As Rev. Speckhard has said, there are many (including myself) who have reservations about these vaccinations. And I know that there are a variety of reasons for that.  It kind of violates the Eighth Commandment to assume, or label, those with such concerns as having a "lack of care or compassion for the neighbor".