Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 397870 times)

J. Thomas Shelley

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #3240 on: March 10, 2021, 12:39:31 AM »
No problem...ol' Ben is kind of iconic in Pennsylvania.

Plus I've watched "1776" on stage and on film a few too many times...could probably recite most of the lines by memory.

Saltpeter!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 12:51:55 AM by J. Thomas Shelley »
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Jeremy_Loesch

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: March 10, 2021, 06:31:19 AM »
Hear hear for Ben Franklin, warts and all!

If I remember correctly, economy is the oikos nomos, the house laws. The economy is how the house works. That working involves money, yes, and many other things. It's  evolved into merely money, and has become a thing unto itself- Keynesian, Friedman, UBI, supply-side, M1/M2/M3, how much inflation is good, no unemployment is actually not good, etc.

The lockdowns were terrible for the laws of the houses of this nation. The lockdowns were great for the House of Representatives and the individual Houses of the fifty states.

Where I live in KCMO, the border war between the two states is still a thing. Neither state wants to be like the other. It's funny and sad. And the coronavirus had the local governments competing over who could keep their people safest, or who could open up the fastest. "We will do things because we're not those rich snobs in Johnson Co. KS." "We're better than KCK and we'll prove it by working against them to keep them in a lower spot."

Jeremy

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: March 10, 2021, 08:07:11 AM »

If I remember correctly, economy is the oikos nomos, the house laws. The economy is how the house works. That working involves money, yes, and many other things. It's  evolved into merely money, and has become a thing unto itself- Keynesian, Friedman, UBI, supply-side, M1/M2/M3, how much inflation is good, no unemployment is actually not good, etc.

The lockdowns were terrible for the laws of the houses of this nation. The lockdowns were great for the House of Representatives and the individual Houses of the fifty states.

Where I live in KCMO, the border war between the two states is still a thing. Neither state wants to be like the other. It's funny and sad. And the coronavirus had the local governments competing over who could keep their people safest, or who could open up the fastest. "We will do things because we're not those rich snobs in Johnson Co. KS." "We're better than KCK and we'll prove it by working against them to keep them in a lower spot."

Jeremy

Similar to the other war with Missouri. Missouri vs. the ELCA.   8) ;D :(

Peace, JOHN
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:57:27 AM by John_Hannah »
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #3243 on: March 10, 2021, 08:14:15 AM »

That's interesting to me, because it identifies the maxim "all politics is local politics."  I don't care about the rest of the world as long as we're better than them - that is, as long as the Mets beat the Yankees.  Here we have the differences in boroughs.  First of all, the "Outer Boroughs," which never get anything delivered in terms of public service at the level of The City, ie Manhattan.  It just rankles.  The neighborhood of our church, just to the east, straddles the boundary between Brooklyn and Queens.  It's called City Line.  When we arrived, I asked the pertinent questions - which city, and what line?  Of course, there is no line.  And City means the division between Brooklyn and Queens - in the old days the street signs were different colors by borough.  The invisible line of demarcation between that part of Brooklyn and Queens has to do with the cost of auto insurance, the value of your home, pocketbook issues.  So it's a real line in all the important ways.  And yes, it does have to do with access to and placement of the vaccine.  I'm in both camps, living in Queens and working in Brooklyn.  But we actually got the vaccine in Brooklyn, because the population around our home is at another higher level of internet savvy in procurement - we had a better chance back in Brooklyn.

Dave Benke

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3244 on: March 10, 2021, 09:09:27 AM »
Some, but not a lot, of that along the Minnesota/Wisconsin border. Last year Minnesotans flocked to that other state when the bars were still hoppable there. Then there's Wisconsin's hard-line right, vs. Minnesota's moderate left, but...
Back in the days of dinosaurs, when young teenosauers didn't care about "politics" much, we who lived on the border liked it that in South Dakota you could buy beer (3.2) when you were 18 and that we got our Iowa drivers' licenses at 16 and some of us looked older....
A dime for a glass of beer, two-bits for a schooner, another dime for a pool table. At one roadhouse, the bartender might squint at you, but still deliver a beer and a bump for a buck. Slim Jims. Pickled eggs. Country-Western music back when that music was all about drinkin', drivin' and divorce.
Ah, the misspent days of youth....!
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Back home from Sioux City after three days and a pleasant reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: March 10, 2021, 09:20:20 AM »
The Subway Series in New York City is exciting.   Since MLB Inter-League in 1997,
the Yankees have beaten the Mets in 74 games and lost in 54 games.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: March 10, 2021, 10:02:23 AM »

Do not confuse Johnson County with KCK. I lived in Johnson County. There was a similar line between itself and Wyandotte County (where KCK is located). Johnson County is wealthier and Republican. Wyandotte County is Democratic. Overland Park in Johnson County has a larger population than Kansas City, Kansas, in Wyandotte County. The pastor of a Methodist church on County Line Road said that there were people who refused to come to church there because it was on the wrong side of the road. It was in the wrong county.

Back then, late 1980s, the LCMS clergy I knew said that the Kansas District was quite different from the Missouri District.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: March 10, 2021, 10:24:42 AM »

Jeremy

Similar to the other war with Missouri. Missouri vs. the ELCA.   8) ;D :(

Peace, JOHN

It speaks volumes that you think the ELCA/LCMS divide is a mere turf war rather than a true difference in theology.  Your view really demeans both church bodies, by the way.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: March 10, 2021, 10:50:31 AM »
Then there's Wisconsin's hard-line right, vs. Minnesota's moderate left, but...

It's more right-of-center in the north where I live, but definitely left-of-center, and far left-of-center downstate in Madison, Milwaukee, and other larger metro areas.  And don't forget we have a Democratic governor, even if our House is still controlled by the Republicans.  So I wouldn't describe my beloved state as "hard-line right."  If so, we would still have Scott Walker at the helm.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: March 10, 2021, 11:00:09 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/la-teachers-warned-to-not-share-vacation-pics-as-union-seeks-safe-return-to-classrooms-report

It is unconscionable for teachers' unions to be refusing to go back to work. There is plenty of data concerning the harm they are causing and no data to back up their claims that schools are particularly unsafe. I think the pandemic could be the last gasp of public school teachers' unions. There is too much evidence that when compared to other options the public schools do less with more. This refusal to work will push many fence-sitters toward the more rational options of school choice and homeschooling.

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: March 10, 2021, 11:03:01 AM »

Do not confuse Johnson County with KCK. I lived in Johnson County. There was a similar line between itself and Wyandotte County (where KCK is located). Johnson County is wealthier and Republican. Wyandotte County is Democratic. Overland Park in Johnson County has a larger population than Kansas City, Kansas, in Wyandotte County. The pastor of a Methodist church on County Line Road said that there were people who refused to come to church there because it was on the wrong side of the road. It was in the wrong county.

Back then, late 1980s, the LCMS clergy I knew said that the Kansas District was quite different from the Missouri District.

I wasn't.  I know that KCK is Wyandotte County.  I was writing on my phone this morning and didn't feel like spending any more time giving examples.  The "Big Four" are KCMO, KCK, Johnson Co KS and Jackson Co MO.  Sometimes they get along and work together, sometimes they don't and work at cross purposes.  And yes, Johnson Co is the wealthiest county in all of KS.  And from my own observations, has the highest per capita Tesla ownership of any locality in the country. 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

DeHall1

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: March 10, 2021, 11:04:40 AM »

The KCK BBQ is much better than the Johnson County BBQ...So yeah, don't confuse the two.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: March 10, 2021, 11:12:26 AM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/la-teachers-warned-to-not-share-vacation-pics-as-union-seeks-safe-return-to-classrooms-report

It is unconscionable for teachers' unions to be refusing to go back to work. There is plenty of data concerning the harm they are causing and no data to back up their claims that schools are particularly unsafe. I think the pandemic could be the last gasp of public school teachers' unions. There is too much evidence that when compared to other options the public schools do less with more. This refusal to work will push many fence-sitters toward the more rational options of school choice and homeschooling.

The teacher's union of teacher's unions is ours here in NYC.   And we are going back to in-person high school in two weeks, having already gone back to middle school and grammar school.  Not by the way, the UPK (Universal Pre-Kindergarten) programs all had the option for in-person learning throughout the pandemic. 

The unsafe nature of schools is not - from this vantage point - primarily about the children, but about the adults.  When an adult had the virus at our school (UPK), we were on virtual only for ten days.  In other words, there are solutions that make some sense; I know of nobody who does not want full in-person sessions to be the norm.  Our parishioners who are professional teachers in the public system have had a very tough year, and yet have performed heroically in bringing their best to a not-great situation day in and day out. 
Educators and school staff have been prioritized for vaccination here, and I think (hope?) that's the case nationwide. 

Finally, I actually don't think this will be the "last gasp of the teacher's unions," or the demise of public education in favor of choice or homeschooling. 

Dave Benke

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: March 10, 2021, 11:20:46 AM »

The KCK BBQ is much better than the Johnson County BBQ...So yeah, don't confuse the two.

In that vein, here's an article about something of importance in the food industry:  Bagels.   https://patch.com/new-york/bayside/queens-bagel-shop-was-named-one-americas-best

Two of the top ten in the country are in my neighborhood.  They are not the one we use, which I consider to be better (as do all the cops, firefighters and sanit workers in our 'hood, which is the giveaway on excellence and discerning taste).  And a family fight ended the best one, which was Slim's Bagels, also near me.  However, and this is my point - why is there an article claiming that other places have bagels, and that they're good? 

I have attempted in the past to eat what somebody called a bagel in St. Louis.  It might as well have been a lump of coal.  So for this article to propound that one of the top ten Bagelries in the US is BernBaums of Fargo, North Dakota, a Nordic-Jewish store, rises to the level of heresy.  Heresy, I say.  What would a Norwegian know about a bagel?  Nothing.   Who is there to even eat a bagel in Fargo, ND?  As we all know, it's the water.  And there is no NYC water in Fargo, ND.

Dave Benke

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: March 10, 2021, 11:37:29 AM »

The teacher's union of teacher's unions is ours here in NYC.   And we are going back to in-person high school in two weeks, having already gone back to middle school and grammar school.  Not by the way, the UPK (Universal Pre-Kindergarten) programs all had the option for in-person learning throughout the pandemic. 

The unsafe nature of schools is not - from this vantage point - primarily about the children, but about the adults.  When an adult had the virus at our school (UPK), we were on virtual only for ten days.  In other words, there are solutions that make some sense; I know of nobody who does not want full in-person sessions to be the norm.  Our parishioners who are professional teachers in the public system have had a very tough year, and yet have performed heroically in bringing their best to a not-great situation day in and day out. 
Educators and school staff have been prioritized for vaccination here, and I think (hope?) that's the case nationwide. 

Finally, I actually don't think this will be the "last gasp of the teacher's unions," or the demise of public education in favor of choice or homeschooling. 

Dave Benke
Why do you think the major public school teachers' unions will survive, because they are too politically powerful or because they serve an important function that needs to continue?