Author Topic: Coronavirus news  (Read 585391 times)

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
Re: Coronavirus news
« Reply #3180 on: February 26, 2021, 09:02:26 AM »
Excellent Noonan opinion piece in WSJ today on how the old New York isnít coming back, with major implications for every urban area.

It will be slower than desired, but my money is always on NYC in terms of recovery.  We arrived in 1973 when the governing powers were caught up in the philosophy of "planned shrinkage," which being interpreted was to cut services to poor people to push them out and create room for "better" people eventually.  Highly toxic.  Of course in 1977 the city went bankrupt (Daily News headline - Ford to City: Drop Dead).  So we didn't drop dead.  And we didn't shrink.  Just kept weathering storms - weather-related, terror-related, politically-related - until these days.  It's always about the millions and millions of people and the opportunity to share Jesus with them as far as I'm concerned, my lifetime vocational location.  Those little town blues will melt away.  And the Mets will win a World Series.  Recovery will also happen in other cities, including those in the Rust Belt, from whence I originate.   Keep hope alive!

Dave Benke

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3181 on: February 26, 2021, 09:18:52 AM »
I think that recovery after the brunt of the pandemic has passed will not be a return to life before, but a transformation into something we probably cannot yet completely conceptualize, at least not fully.  With the kind of major adjustments forced upon our society at every level there will be systemic changes in every sector.  The church, of course, will be among those so changed.  Not theologically, although some novel 'out there' practices have been tried that need to be addressed and reigned back (e.g. a remote consecration of a remote sacrament).  I think we will come out of this leaner than we went in, and that is no always bad.  I hope we will treasure and nurture the idea of community more, especially after being isolated and separated for so long. 
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: February 26, 2021, 09:22:53 AM »
The New York Yankees are  a symbol of the greatness of New York City.
They have shared with the world such Hall of Famers as Babe Ruth,
Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle.  The Yankees have won
27 World Series Titles to make them the gold standard for professional
sports teams. They play their games in the majestic cathedral of baseball,
Yankee Stadium.  Yes, the Yankees represent what makes New York City
famous.  Yes, Covid 19 limited the MLB season to 60 games last year,
however, this season they hope to play 162 games.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 09:26:52 AM by Dave Likeness »

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #3183 on: February 26, 2021, 09:29:22 AM »
I think that recovery after the brunt of the pandemic has passed will not be a return to life before, but a transformation into something we probably cannot yet completely conceptualize, at least not fully.  With the kind of major adjustments forced upon our society at every level there will be systemic changes in every sector.... I hope we will treasure and nurture the idea of community more, especially after being isolated and separated for so long.

Newtonian physics applies to political and societal movements.

Let us pray that the "equal and opposite reaction" experienced a century ago can be tempered, if not thwarted:

https://nypost.com/2020/12/21/a-sex-crazed-roaring-20s-awaits-post-pandemic-yale-prof/

Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3184 on: February 26, 2021, 09:37:26 AM »
I think that recovery after the brunt of the pandemic has passed will not be a return to life before, but a transformation into something we probably cannot yet completely conceptualize, at least not fully.  With the kind of major adjustments forced upon our society at every level there will be systemic changes in every sector.... I hope we will treasure and nurture the idea of community more, especially after being isolated and separated for so long.

Let us pray that the "equal and opposite reaction" experienced a century ago can be tempered, if not thwarted:

https://nypost.com/2020/12/21/a-sex-crazed-roaring-20s-awaits-post-pandemic-yale-prof/

There is no doubt that some of this will occur.  But much of it was already in full swing well before the pandemic.  Also, people have been pushing back on the forced seclusion from the beginning, and in some cases flaunting their freedoms in 'over-the-top' activities that were completely opposite the caution being called for (think mass weddings, large parties in bars, even spring break activities in FL and elsewhere, etc.).  I hope we don't have a 'roaring 20s' coming out of this.  Although the free-wheeling spending might stimulate the economy.  ;)
Pastor Don Engebretson

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #3185 on: February 26, 2021, 11:29:33 AM »

There is no doubt that some of this will occur.  But much of it was already in full swing well before the pandemic.  Also, people have been pushing back on the forced seclusion from the beginning, and in some cases flaunting their freedoms in 'over-the-top' activities that were completely opposite the caution being called for (think mass weddings, large parties in bars, even spring break activities in FL and elsewhere, etc.).  I hope we don't have a 'roaring 20s' coming out of this.  Although the free-wheeling spending might stimulate the economy.  ;)

So my personal story is that this Sunday will be the first Sunday I have not preached and led worship in exactly one year.  Because one year ago this Sunday we were at - Spring Training in Port St. Lucie.  This Sunday I am taking a day off after receiving the second vaccination on a "just in case" basis.  And I believe it was critical for me to be available in person, on zoom and virtually throughout this time - the results demonstrate that in terms of outreach, contact, pastoral care and prayer. 

When we're allowed to go out and about, though, we plan to be out and about, at age 75.  As Arnold Palmer said (referring to golfers moving too slowly), "while we're still young."  Funds dedicated to travel and recreation are pent up.  They need to be released.  A Viking Cruise or two needs to be taken.   8)

Dave Benke

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #3186 on: February 26, 2021, 11:56:29 AM »
A year ago at this time we were planning on taking an Alaskan cruise. Up the Alaskan inland passage and a side trip into Denali. That was, of course canceled but rescheduled for this June. Our cruise would terminate in Vancouver BC. Canada has now closed its ports to cruises until February 2022, so maybe next year. Your Viking Cruises will depend on where you are going. If it involves Canada, you'll need to wait until next year.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #3187 on: February 26, 2021, 12:14:49 PM »
A year ago at this time we were planning on taking an Alaskan cruise. Up the Alaskan inland passage and a side trip into Denali. That was, of course canceled but rescheduled for this June. Our cruise would terminate in Vancouver BC. Canada has now closed its ports to cruises until February 2022, so maybe next year. Your Viking Cruises will depend on where you are going. If it involves Canada, you'll need to wait until next year.

Most of the Canadian Snow Birds to our area were unable to migrate this winter. They could fly to the U.S., but weren't allowed to drive across the border. We'd also heard that if they came here and caught COVID-19, their health insurance wouldn't cover the illness.
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #3188 on: February 26, 2021, 03:15:24 PM »

Next year Viking Caribbean - in winter!  Same vessel we took from Barcelona to Rome.

Year after is in spring up the Mississippi.  Different vessel.

I do know that the oldest Lutheran church in the western hemisphere is on St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands, and was indeed a Danish congregation, ie Viking.  But the only knowledge I have of Lutherans coming up the mighty Mississippi is Martin Stefan and his devotees on the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria.  Or was that Columbo?  One of my favorite shows at any rate. 

Dave Benke

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #3189 on: February 28, 2021, 07:20:30 PM »
A word about Pfizer 2nd Vaccination yesterday -
definite increase in arm soreness and general lassitude through the day (if General Lassitude were the Commanding Officer, would anything get done?)
great experience at the site, the megachurch in south East Brooklyn
met parishioners from neighboring churches whom I knew
was offered prayer from the folks from the megachurch while on the line
probably 80% of those receiving vaccination were non-white
probably 80% of those giving the vaccinations and enrolling/caring for us were non-white
this in a strongly black and latino area.
And some of the neighboring churches had extensive interaction with health care professionals in various meetings to get their congregants to enroll.  Pretty much what we've been doing as well, but they have larger memberships and more health care professionals.

When NYC gets open enrollment maybe in April, I wouldn't be surprised if we hit the 5,000,000 mark in those vaccinated by summer.

Dave Benke

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3190 on: March 02, 2021, 04:12:48 PM »
Indiana is now open to anyone age 55 and above to sign up for the vaccine.

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #3191 on: March 02, 2021, 04:33:37 PM »
I didn't see this posted here, and it seems to fit -- the Supreme Court has once again protected the rights of churches to gather as other places are allowed to gather and enjoined the State of California from giving them unequal treatment.

For all the hoopla about Justices Kavanaugh and Barrett, and to a lesser degree, Gorsuch, I have to say I am thankful today that they were nominated and confirmed.  I shudder to think what the Court would look like if more justices like Kagan, Sotomayor and Breyer were appointed, and how fast Roberts might join them.

https://lawandcrime.com/supreme-court/kagan-breyer-and-sotomayor-dissent-as-supreme-court-forces-california-county-to-allow-indoor-church-services/?fbclid=IwAR3wiC_IATTmg2J7SuHa_UQgIluSP7QXkVHPWL2dp0gazmu1kGuSzbOxDvE
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3192 on: March 03, 2021, 03:07:42 PM »
Indiana now offering vaccine appointments to anyone 50 or older.

Pilgrim

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3193 on: March 03, 2021, 05:24:39 PM »
FWIW...got my 2nd Phizer vacinnation on Sunday. No sore arm. No side effects of any type. Back on the golf course on Tuesday. However, the vaccine has not improved my golf game, in spite of the confidence the Doctor delivering the shot had that it would do so!

Pr. Tim Christ, STS (retired)
Pr. Tim Christ, STS

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #3194 on: March 03, 2021, 06:09:17 PM »
My vaccine actually gained me entry somewhere: an assisted living center.  I had not seen this 90-something shut-in since sometime last fall (after which she came down with COVID herself, besides pneumonia).  Because we both had been vaccinated they let me visit her and commune her - all without masks! The mask issue had to do with her extreme hardness of hearing.  She simply would not have heard what I said if I wore the mask.  They put us both in a room by ourselves that was right off the main entrance.  It was a joy to finally be with this dear saint and share the Supper with her.  Tomorrow I get to visit a second shut-in at another assisted living center, and on Monday yet a third.  It feel like an entire missing part of my ministry has been restored!!
Pastor Don Engebretson